Daily Check in July 10, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check in July 10, 2019

Post by clemencia2us » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 pm

floridacatlover wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:29 pm
Good afternoon all.

I had a good day finding ancestors! Found the burial spot of my great-grandmother’s sister who remained in NB. It was several lucky conversations here that pointed me to the cemetery. Surprisingly her stone was one of the few with a silk flower arrangement which makes me think she still has descendants here. Then found a notation of the burial of my great-great-great grandparents. (Discovered that there are two levels of burials in that cemetery.)

Anyway, I checked into my lovely B&B. Now waiting for a lobster roll at a local restaurant overlooking the water. It’s here now so I’ll end.

Have a good evening.
wow - what great discoveries!

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:15 am

clemencia2us wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 pm
wow - what great discoveries!
For great-great-great grandparents I walked all through the cemetery but could not find any graves before 1900. Many stones were weather worn.

The church had nice signs noting locations of former rectory and first Acadian school in the area. Just before leaving I walked down to a larger sign. It said when the burial ground was full, the church dumped a new layer of soil and began a new top layer of burials. The sign listed names and dates of all buried in the bottom layer, probably 100 people, and my GGG Grandparents were there. I now remember hearing at genealogy club that this was common practice in some parts of Canada.

Church and burial ground are in a gorgeous location on the water. I’m seeing that even rural, old Catholic Churches here are elaborate and gorgeous inside.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:34 am

Jackielou wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:51 am
Glad it all went well for you. What handmade items did you bring? I kind of fell down in this regard and only brought one quilt. Oh well there is always the next one.
Jackie,

In past years I have brought handmade lip balms, lotions, jams, plus sewn, crocheted & knitted items—there are always a few who make fun of me for that, so this yearI only brought 1 crocheted hot-pad and two knitted dishcloths. I kind of forgot about the reunion auction for awhile this summer, so didn't get more gathered up or made.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 am

floridacatlover wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:29 pm
Good afternoon all.

I had a good day finding ancestors! Found the burial spot of my great-grandmother’s sister who remained in NB. It was several lucky conversations here that pointed me to the cemetery. Surprisingly her stone was one of the few with a silk flower arrangement which makes me think she still has descendants here. Then found a notation of the burial of my great-great-great grandparents. (Discovered that there are two levels of burials in that cemetery.)

Anyway, I checked into my lovely B&B. Now waiting for a lobster roll at a local restaurant overlooking the water. It’s here now so I’ll end.

Have a good evening.
I’m happy you found your ancestors graves. The stone with the silk flower arrangement reminds me of something I read, or heard of, once— someone was looking for an ancestor, found the gravestone w/ flowers like you, and put a note on the flowers asking for descendants to phone/write her.
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:11 am

floridacatlover wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:15 am
For great-great-great grandparents I walked all through the cemetery but could not find any graves before 1900. Many stones were weather worn.

The church had nice signs noting locations of former rectory and first Acadian school in the area. Just before leaving I walked down to a larger sign. It said when the burial ground was full, the church dumped a new layer of soil and began a new top layer of burials. The sign listed names and dates of all buried in the bottom layer, probably 100 people, and my GGG Grandparents were there. I now remember hearing at genealogy club that this was common practice in some parts of Canada.

Church and burial ground are in a gorgeous location on the water. I’m seeing that even rural, old Catholic Churches here are elaborate and gorgeous inside.
Do you ever check on Find A Grave.com?

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:32 am

clemencia2us wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:11 am
Do you ever check on Find A Grave.com?
Yes, I had checked there. For my great grsndmother’s Sister (grave with the silk flowers) FindAGrave did not even have the location of the cemetery and I couldn’t find it on Google Street View. Now I’ll post the photo I took on my phone. I was lucky that while at another historic church I asked about the cemetery and another local visitor overheard me and told me exactly the location.