July 11, 2019 Daily check in

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Re: July 11, 2019 Daily check in

Post by rinty »

Hello,

Nearly Friday !!!

Its been a nice week really, certainly not dull. I have been very busy at work but in a good way and DH has been in Provider Heaven with the allotment.

Tonight I returned to a huge bowl of redcurrants as well as the usual green veg. My mother used to make Summer Pudding with them which I always felt was A Total waste of Soft Fruit.........I mean, its okay but a bit of a phaff to make. I have ignored them in the hope DH will have a creative moment with them when I'm at work tomorrow ;)

Did all the STUFF on the To Do list which was a relief. Had lots of nice chats. A lot of chat re holidays, two people are going to the small area as us !!! How odd, and at the same time so planning to meet up.

I confess to scrolling around for late summer /autumn breaks in the sun.........though I think I'll probably buy a new washing machine and finally cave a replace the tumble dryer :shock: instead. Tempting though, lots of All Inclusive breaks in Spain I would have loved .

Had a very funny moment at work that I cannot share ( tried to come up with a way of posting it but TOO MUCH DETAIL ) Suffice to say it was one of those You Cannot Make It Up moments that children give you .

I have been fending off a lot of hugs from the munchkins at school , and I mean that as you just can't these days. ........they must be desparate as I am Rather Firm in my approach.

Had a very thoughtful call to my fav carer re DS. She knows everything and I trust her. She was talking about DS future and that ( said very gently ) I need to be letting go a bit more. We do have him home a lot more than others might do in our situation......If all the carers were like her maybe I could. We have DS this weekend. JAWS is on at the local cinema and DS loves him some sharks so that's my weekend planned.....rather that than Spiderman, frankly.

Financially, bought petrol ( FCL, I never think how many litres, I just put in a certain amount in cash ) contributed to the leaving presents and bought sweets for the other class I work as a Dinner Lady for. It occurs to me that my collegues might want to exchange gifts.......I'd rather NOT, but if its the tradition I'll go along with it.

DH is shopping tomorrow, its a fairly small list as we are providing our own fruit and veg ( not bananas OBVIOUSLY ) Just dairy and a few bits that DS likes. We don't need meat.

I've been planning my Holiday TO DO List of things that I put off when working, also Fun Stuff and working around the kids offering babysitting when the DGKs are out of school to help with childcare costs.

MY expensive new shoes are pulling their weight, my poor feet are very grateful. Dog is fussing, off to do a nighttime walk.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:48 pm Hello all.

I’ll have a lot to write in my journal tonight. Drove to one of the oldest Acadian towns in NB, Richibucto Village, to see the church where one set of my great-great-great grandparents were married in 1827.Then to a few other towns before heading to the very small “town” (really a crossroads) where my great-grandmother was born. It is VERY rural and I almost didn’t go but the B&B owner this morning said I’d be fine. I did make one wrong turn and I would be totally lost on this whole trip without Google Maps on my phone. Finally got to the church. This version of the church was built in 1868, the year my great grandmother was born, so I’m not sure if she was baptized there. Church was locked but I went to the house next door to see if they had a key. Yes! So I went inside and took some pictures there, too. At various points I thought I was crazy (probably true) to go there alone but it worked out great.

Why is the U.S. the only (or one of the only) countries not on the metric system? I had to ask a nice man how many liters of gas he thought I should put in the car. I’m never sure how fast I’m driving - must look it up to see the conversion for 70, 80 and 100 km/hour.

I’m pretty much done with ancestor hunting for the trip. Next few days will just be sightseeing. Hardest thing I’m finding traveling alone by car is the navigating.

Have a good evening.
Florida....you are doing GREAT!!!!!
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Evening update:

FloridaCat it sounds like you are having a great time….carry on!

I did get the upright freezer cleaned and the outside all scrubbed and polished. More stuff for the chickens
did my household chores and supper done and cleaned up.
I seriously will be needing very little from the grocery store for months. Because the freezers were so disorganized I had lost track of what I have. I will only be needing salads stuff.

Tomorrow a trip to the farm store for chicken scratch
have a great night all,
JCKitty
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:48 pm Hello all.

I’ll have a lot to write in my journal tonight. Drove to one of the oldest Acadian towns in NB, Richibucto Village, to see the church where one set of my great-great-great grandparents were married in 1827.Then to a few other towns before heading to the very small “town” (really a crossroads) where my great-grandmother was born. It is VERY rural and I almost didn’t go but the B&B owner this morning said I’d be fine. I did make one wrong turn and I would be totally lost on this whole trip without Google Maps on my phone. Finally got to the church. This version of the church was built in 1868, the year my great grandmother was born, so I’m not sure if she was baptized there. Church was locked but I went to the house next door to see if they had a key. Yes! So I went inside and took some pictures there, too. At various points I thought I was crazy (probably true) to go there alone but it worked out great.

Why is the U.S. the only (or one of the only) countries not on the metric system? I had to ask a nice man how many liters of gas he thought I should put in the car. I’m never sure how fast I’m driving - must look it up to see the conversion for 70, 80 and 100 km/hour.

I’m pretty much done with ancestor hunting for the trip. Next few days will just be sightseeing. Hardest thing I’m finding traveling alone by car is the navigating.

Have a good evening.
Actually as far as everything I have read the US is the only place that isn't metric.

Quick lesson on changing km/hr. 100 km/hr is approximately 60 mph....50 km/hr is about 30 mph and 70km/h would be approximately 45 mph. Hope that helps you a little bit.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/