Daily check-in July 16, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily check-in July 16, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. It is nice and cool with a little bit of light rain. The remnants of Barry. We are not going to be affected by a lot of heavy rain but people south of us will be. Not much going on here today just the usual cooking and puttering. Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
gaylejackson2

Re: Daily check-in July 16, 2019

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Janet, I am glad you're not being hit by too heavy of rains.

We had heavy clouds yesterday morning & 30% humidity, I was hopeful for rain but knew we wouldn't get anything.
——
Good Morning Frugal friends,

Dh has just gone off to work with Candida-breakfast muffins (low carb high fiber) and his usual lunch of leftovers & a lemon. I walked out with him—discovered I hadn't switched the sprinkler back so only the dry spot by the car was watered.☹️

I slept okay, not great. I did have to use melatonin to fall asleep, too much insomnia lately.

Today’s chores are to continue working on my weekly list, plus tame paper monster, and daily garden work. Oh, and make weekly menu.☹️I struggle with that one.

Lol, I didn't pull weeds in squash patch, I decided to get tomatoes into support cages before its too late—and it very nearly Was Too Late, as I managed to snap several branches off. *sighs* Oh well. BUT I did find and happily smash one Large tomato worm, and I picked 3 green zucchinis—I could pick several small green bell peppers but am waiting to see if they get larger, same thing with yellow zucchinis.

Today I need to do a short grocery shop—I should have gone yesterday but for lack of energy.

Coyotes are calling in the distance... very strange as they usually follow the cow & sheep herds to the mountains & low hills.

I was thinking on Sunday how empty my week seemed, until Friday & Saturday-:lol: well it's filling up fast.

This week I’d hoped to dye wool as will be hot enough to dry it; I’d better get moving on it today if I’m going to do it. I’d just been waiting to see if I could find a cheap stainless-steel cooking pot, but as I’m using rit dye, maybe my washer would be best.

Sunrise is in an hour, and I’m going to try to nap until then.

Today I’m thankful sprinklers are set, and tomatoes are up.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

I enjoyed my long weekend. I got to see DS2 three days in a row. Friday we went to the Outlet Mall where I bought lunch and three pair of shoes. I figured since Ex pays his car insurance and maintenance bills, I can pay to dress him. LOL. Saturday my cousin N and i went to see the musical he played in. It was a great production with High school students doing the acting and singing. We saw DS2 for a few minutes after the show. Then Sunday he had arranged to have breakfast with my Mom and Dad. I tagged along as I had a smoke alarm chirping all night and my step stool is not tall enough for me to reach. Dad lent his step stool and DS took care of changing the battery for me. He had been asking if I had a wish list for my Birthday and Christmas, well a step stool is on it. the kids can afford that, so I did not go and buy one since Dad's was available this time.

Yesterday I did very little until about 4 when I drove to DS1's for a visit. DGS2yrs was not feeling well and DGS5 was bouncing off the wall. LOL. It was raining so they could not go outside. The adopted 2 kittens to join the three cat and the St. Bernard and two little boys at the house. Shew, it is a busy place.

Have a great day,
Maggie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

I’m home from my trip. Long day yesterday. I accomplished all I wanted on the trip and had a lot of fun and mostly good, cool weather.

When I got home about 9 p.m. I called for Pippi. She came nervously to the top of the stairs, acted like she didn’t know me. Only when I got close enough for her to smell me did she seem to know I was her momma. Heartbreaking. She is OK now but I still feel bad for leaving her. I have tickets for Rhode Island in October but they are on Southwest so I could change them if need be.

I had to get to Moncton airport early yesterday so as not to be charged an extra day for the rental car. I love Moncton airport - only two gates. Toronto is another story. To go to the U.S. you have to go through security again and there is a U.S. Customs screening right on site. (Montreal is the same way I found out.) Thankfully I asked a Canadian airport worker before I started the process and had lunch in the “regular” part of the airport before the U.S. screening. Not much to eat except junk on the U.S. side.

Going through U.S. Customs in Toronto was a zoo, very long lines. Some people with tight connections were missing their flights. I had a long layover so the time was no problem but wait still a pain. People who have Global Entry ($100 for five years I believe) sailed through. My friend has this. Eighteen years after 9/11 the U.S. is a fortress even for Americans.

One good thing was that even though the Toronto-Tampa flight was just about full, I lucked out and had an empty middle seat on my row.

I took Uber to and from the airport for the first time. Worked out well. I was nervous about finding the Uber at the airport with so many people also using Uber but it was not hard. Uber was cheaper than parking at the off-site airport lot and much cheaper than a cab. We have a “Limo” service mom and I used years ago but it takes forever. Not sure of the cost of that service now.

Today I’ll relax and will go to mom’s house later today. I’m sure the grass needs cutting. I had both back and front yards cut and everything in the front trimmed before my trip. Looked great but I’m sure we had rain while I was away.

Have a good day.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...

Cloudy and we're supposed to get rain this afternoon through tomorrow.

Baseball last night ... went to see the local minor league team. Ran into some friends there, so that was nice. The game itself, well, let's say it was not a good night for the home team.

On the frugaling side, canceled my magazine subscription on Kindle ... the introductory offer is expiring, and the regular cost is more than I want to pay.

Today, various chores (probably time to do some laundry). Going to a workshop at the library a bit later: tips on using its databases for genealogy research.

Florida, welcome back! Poor Pippi ... know my cats hate it when we're gone, even though they like their sitter.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I am up "early" today for a change

Going to go walking in about an hour, so that is my motivation. Haveing one cup of coffee prior.

Slept well - I think.

The Hallmark christmas movies are over so it is back to regular programming. I sure did miss Murder She Wrote. And Monk.

After my walk, it is back home to shower and wash my hair. It is getting long. Then regular chores.

Hope all have a great day.