Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Sandy

Re: Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

Post by Sandy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:57 pm

Maybe people have gotten complacent? Like the lady someone mentioned from another forum who was puzzled that fellow posters worked at preserving food/stockpiling because "you can always go to the store and buy those things"?

This is the first summer in ages that friends have not put a garden in here, on land I am fortunate to be able to provide. They divided costs of seed/seedlings and labor while I gave them all the room they wanted to use as well as the water for the garden in exchange for vegetables.

That's why I've been so excited to see the roadside stands. My husband and son work long hours and don't have time to garden and, because of some medications I need, I have to be very aware and careful of heat (we've been under heat warnings the last several days with the heat index being as high as 118).

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:00 pm

colonialgirl wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:04 pm
Loved your stories Janet. Like you said, I was always taught to stockpile. My mama used to tell me that grandpa used to say "Never start a winter without a can of coffee under the bed and some canned goods in the closet". Hubs was laid off for 6 month one time and we were able to survive the entire time only buying produce & milk & bread. I didn't know how to bake bread back then.

We could go a while in some areas eating on our stockpile. Maybe 6 months - maybe not but there would sure be some interesting meals. But I need to get flour and sugar in and check for anything I am low on. I also want to get some canned meats - more tuna and (don't throw up) Treet. I hate Spam but love Treet. Also some canned chicken.

Yesterday I bought 180 rolls of tp, 12 pk paper towels, some spice mixes I use in cooking, trash bags, liquid bleach. Like you said - if I never need it great - but if I do, then it is here.

I don't pay much attention to Brexit - too involved in our own politics I guess. But when I read that article yesterday I was floored. I do remember you asking Rinty about the quinine. Give Katie Owl my regards. I always loved her posts. I remember a thread that went down a rabbit hole & someone said well we could always sell our bods to survive. I responded that maybe that person could, but an old fat girl like me would starve. Katie popped up and said "Never underestimate the novelty trade". I still laugh about that.
SPAM makes a canned turkey that is REALLY 100% turkey! Great for sandwiches (my husband makes one with a fried egg :shock: ). I keep 4-5 cans on the shelf all the time.

jckitty

Post by jckitty » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:41 pm

Sandy, so good to hear from you! You always have such insight and I appreciate your posts.

This is the first year in my memory I did not put in a garden, either here or at dads. I am helping my DD process and can hers. We are fixing to can some chicken and venison pretty soon.
I am not a prepper but I do like to have a stockpile. I need to up my supply of sugar and flour. Trying to make stuff here at home, it is way to easy to just go to town and find something to eat.

We haven't had any pop up veg/fruit stands but...we do have a farmers market.
Our meat prices are high, Sandy I would love to have your prices, I would be filling every canning jar I own.LOL

When my girls were at home I filled every jar I own and 2 freezers, Now it is just me and some times DD2 and me. It's hard to cook for 1 and it's hard to stockpile for 1.

I understand your cousins feelings Sandy, I find myself more fearful than I ever have before, and I DO blame the current political administration. I feel ashamed and embarrassed by the hate filled people out there. I feel surrounded and harassed.

JCKitty

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:46 pm

I'm a Democrat in a blood red state and don't dare display anything showing my party choice for fear of earning broken windows or flat tires. It's awful, the feeling in the air. I think I've been more of a stay at home since the current political climate heated up than I have ever been in my life. It just isn't the same "safe" I grew up feeling.

Because I watch my diet so closely, lean protein and low carbs are always my main concern when shopping either for menus or the freezer. The things I always try to keep on hand (others should have "more" if they choose) along with MY mainstays are sandwich fixings and low salt chips. OH! I keep popcorn as my now-and-again bedtime snack (3 tablespoons unpopped makes 7-8 cups popped and that's just right). No one particularly likes sweets so that's not a problem.

To show you how much time I've been spending inside, lol, I have even begun ironing out of sheer boredom!

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:50 pm

colonialgirl wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:07 pm
Sandy,
I know what you mean. I am more anxious all the time. I thank God that we are retired and pretty much in control of our day to day life. At least as far as not having to go anywhere.
I've stopped watching the news. Practically (as my son tells me, "I know, momma...you can quit anytime you want.", lol). I've figured out that there's a 99.99% chance I'm not going to hear anything that will improve my day.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:30 am

Sandy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:49 pm
A new order of 24 came today. We're also fortunate in that we have a water well (just one of the perks of living outside of town).

Did you ever get a well drilled? I know you were thinking of it at one time.
No - notyet