Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Re: Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

Post by gaylejackson2 »

colonialgirl wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:46 pm Scary times for all of us - although I do imagine everyone on this group is way better prepared for hard times than the general population.
I agree... although we definitely need more TP here. A 30-roll package ($10) definitely doesn't last as long as it used to do (especially when dd6 decides to use a whole roll as “bandages” for her dollies when she & dd8 play hospital.)
gaylejackson2

Re: Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Sandy wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:20 pm I intended to post this last night and kept forgetting to.

For the first time since I was, probably, in elementary school, we have roadside veggie/fruit stands! And Farmer's Markets! How long, for you, has it been since you've seen people growing large gardens and selling the surplus? Me, I love it even if it costs a bit more to get homegrown over hot house veggies.

What does this mean? Is it for the extra food or the extra money? Odd days now.
For all of my life, I have seen roadside fruit/veg stands selling produce—Mom used to depend on them for peaches & pears, she had her favorites.

There has been a Farmer’s market in my town for 11-12 years; a friend has a fruit orchard that I plan to visit for late-summer fruits.

This year, Everyone has apricots falling off their trees, and they are-mostly- free for picking.. of course this would be the year that I haven't energy to do any canning, let alone doing the repetitive picking motions-seems as bad as vacuuming w/o pushing a heavy object.