Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

Post by alliesmama4 »

Went shopping today and our local chain store, Schnuck's, has signs on some of the shelves that due to inclement weather there is a shortage of whatever was missing. I rarely buy canned veggies at this store due to the high prices. I have been looking for a small spiral ham at Ruler for the last several weeks and they usually have a refrigerated bin full of hams of all sizes, this week and last week they only had a couple of hams period.. They were too big for my needs.
Janet Alliesmama
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

colonialgirl wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:48 pm Hey guys -
I have been on you tube a lot looking for freezer meals. There are many channels I will watch because they talk about food storage, cooking ahead, pantry stocking etc. and these are all things that interest me. But to be honest - a lot of these folks are the sky is falling type of nutty preppers. I like to be stocked up ahead but not because I think the CIA is getting ready to roll tanks into my cul de sac - ya know?

At any rate, many of them have been posting videos at all kinds of grocery stores, especially Walmart, that show empty shelves and signs that saying due to poor harvest the store is unable to stock at the current time. One poor guy was on there saying this is the food shortage that I have been predicting since 1984. I hate to tell him but if he has predicted something for 35 years, he is not exactly Kreskin. But I disgress.

Have any of you all seen indicators of food shortages currently? I am expecting some due to the late and disasterous spring weather. Living in the farm belt I know that Illinois, a huge producer of soy beans and corn, was unable to plant at all on many farms.

Just wondering if I need to kick up my stock up a little.
I have seen a few things listed as unavailable, on each aisle I frequent, at Smiths but really not many items. My fave GF tamari sauce is one that has been out for months, but luckily I have a few spare bottles & we haven't been using it as much this summer as in previous months.

Supposedly pork & beef prices are going to rise, but I don't know about them either as I’ve been buying mainly chicken, and not that for awhile as we’ve been eating from the freezer.

Others mentioning produce prices got me to thinking, and then editing. I Have noticed produce prices, especially veggies, have gone up quite a bit. I’m more & more grateful for my veg garden, though dh& kids are tired of eating green & yellow summer squashes. Tomatoes are starting to come on now, 💕YAY!!
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

colonialgirl wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:48 pm Hey guys -
I have been on you tube a lot looking for freezer meals. There are many channels I will watch because they talk about food storage, cooking ahead, pantry stocking etc. and these are all things that interest me. But to be honest - a lot of these folks are the sky is falling type of nutty preppers. I like to be stocked up ahead but not because I think the CIA is getting ready to roll tanks into my cul de sac - ya know?

At any rate, many of them have been posting videos at all kinds of grocery stores, especially Walmart, that show empty shelves and signs that saying due to poor harvest the store is unable to stock at the current time. One poor guy was on there saying this is the food shortage that I have been predicting since 1984. I hate to tell him but if he has predicted something for 35 years, he is not exactly Kreskin. But I disgress.

Have any of you all seen indicators of food shortages currently? I am expecting some due to the late and disasterous spring weather. Living in the farm belt I know that Illinois, a huge producer of soy beans and corn, was unable to plant at all on many farms.

Just wondering if I need to kick up my stock up a little.
No, haven't noticed any shortages and I even mentioned to my guys the other day that I thought prices were down (tons of beef sales like Ribeyes @ $5.99 a pound, NYStrips @ $4.99 a pound, whole chickens @ $.79 a pound, boneless/skinless breasts @ $.89 a pound, etc.).

My son has fulfilled a long time urge and started buying...of all things...MREs. He loves them!
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Great to see you posting Sandy.

I was going to update this post later on. Thanks all for the info on the shipping problems - I think we may be in a perfect storm of tariffs, shipper delays and actual item shortages.

We went to Sams tonight and I got really spooked. Our Sams is always piled to the rafters with things - I mean every aisle has center displays down the middle. Sam's toilet paper is the cheapest by my calculations and I always buy there. They usually have 20 pallets of it stacked to the ceiling. Not tonight - maybe 20 packages. The place was down in inventory by I would guess 1/8th of their entire stock. I asked a checker about it and she said they had a truck coming in tonight - but that better be one darn big truck to fill up all the empty areas I saw.

So hubs and I did a non perishable stock up. I figure this way I will have things and if there is no shortage great - but if there is I won't be left without tp, trashbags, liquid bleach, some spice mixes, etc, etc, etc. Tomorrow my lifting limitation expires and I am heading to Aldi's for another stock up. Better safe than sorry I am thinking. Things seem so uncertain in our country now that maybe that is where my need to be prepared is coming from.

Grab that cheap meat Sandy - everything around here is going UP!
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Found out I have an underactive thyroid and have had to have tests and check-ups out the wazoo to keep track of all the other things I'm already being treated for, but glad to check in and get into the conversation. How have you been?

Yep, we bought a large second freezer in order to really stock up. I've never seen beef and chicken at such low prices and pork, as well. I can buy an entire pork tenderloin (weights of 3 pounds and up) @ $.49 a pound and all types of "lesser" meats (the stores' term, not mine) like roasts, hamburger, the tougher cuts (what I call slow cooker cuts), round steak, turkeys...unbelievably low-priced. Frozen veggies are staying pretty steady except for the occasional sale. Lettuce is ridiculous so we've switched to Roamaine (like it better anyway, next to it Iceberg is pretty bland), potatoes 5 pounds @ $2.50 (white, red or yellow), tomatoes vary according to type so I buy Roma (less juicy) @ $.89 a pound.

I order all my paper goods from either Walmart.com or Amazon. So far I'm getting 48 packs of double roll Northern for about $24 and 8 packs of paper towels for $9-$10 (either Brawny or Sparkle).

I have several cousins who raise cattle and I've been giving great thought to buying a steer suitable for butchering.

The way I cook now has knocked many, many things off my shopping list. The fam has sworn to eat the way I do so lots of veggies, slow cooker meals and grilled meats.

But it's the non-food items that can really add up and not just cleaning supplies. Pet foods, personal hygiene items, toothbrushes/toothpaste/floss...too many to think of. I thank God we all have good insurance that not only pays doctors and hospitals but my diabetic testing supplies are free.

I agree that *something* is in the air but haven't figured it out yet.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

clemencia2us wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:18 pm They also have sand haulers up in west texas - Permian Basin.
Drilling is starting here in the Arkoma Basin. My son just signed a drilling lease with Trinity Drilling for a drilling pad and 6 wells. Curious about their fracking policy.