Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

Post by clemencia2us » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:18 pm

They also have sand haulers up in west texas - Permian Basin.

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:43 pm

No shortages that I can tell ... prices are going up on some things, like produce.
I do occasionally see stores out of certain products, but I think it may be more of a delivery and/or labor issue. From what I understand, most stocking jobs around here are 3rd shift, and stores are having trouble finding enough people to cover ...

And CG, it's been a while since I saw a reference to Kreskin :D

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:08 am

What can I say Wolf - I am old. hah!

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:24 am

colonialgirl wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:48 pm
Living in the farm belt I know that Illinois, a huge producer of soy beans and corn, was unable to plant at all on many farms. .
I know you've seen how short the corn is around here! I was driving around last week and it was hard to find any that made it past three feet high. Isn't it supposed to be five feet tall by now, at least?

Bacon prices are supposed to go even higher, and other pork meat will increase, too. Although pork loin, butts, and steaks are still a good price, especially when compared to beef.

Apparently we have skinny pigs this year. It's been so hot that the pigs have sweated themselves skinny. Why does that never work for me! lol Also, there is some pig disease that has killed a lot of pigs in China and SE Asia. I read that this year they will lose 200 million pigs, and that will increase their demand for our pork. And then there's something about increased tariffs back and forth.

I did catch a bacon sale a couple weeks ago, and even though it was lower quality, skinny sliced, It was nice to have some bacon again, and I really wanted the grease for cooking lol. I usually eat ham instead of bacon because it's cheaper, and if you fry it in some bacon grease you can pretend really well lol
ohjodi

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:28 am

I can't say that there is any serious shortages of food. The fresh vegetables are higher priced, but given the weather, not a surprise. Meat prices are fairly stable. Dairy seem stable too. But whenever there is talk of tariff, the fear factor boosts prices for awhile. Then they drop down. Sort of like gas prices, up and down like a yo-yo.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:23 am

ohjodi wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:24 am
I know you've seen how short the corn is around here! I was driving around last week and it was hard to find any that made it past three feet high. Isn't it supposed to be five feet tall by now, at least?

Bacon prices are supposed to go even higher, and other pork meat will increase, too. Although pork loin, butts, and steaks are still a good price, especially when compared to beef.

Apparently we have skinny pigs this year. It's been so hot that the pigs have sweated themselves skinny. Why does that never work for me! lol Also, there is some pig disease that has killed a lot of pigs in China and SE Asia. I read that this year they will lose 200 million pigs, and that will increase their demand for our pork. And then there's something about increased tariffs back and forth.

I did catch a bacon sale a couple weeks ago, and even though it was lower quality, skinny sliced, It was nice to have some bacon again, and I really wanted the grease for cooking lol. I usually eat ham instead of bacon because it's cheaper, and if you fry it in some bacon grease you can pretend really well lol
I think the tariffs (Trump added some yesterday) will turn China from buying pork from the U.S. to other producers. Not Canada though as they are trying to bully us into submission right now.