Do you use up your whole pencil?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Re: Do you use up your whole pencil?

Post by gaylejackson2 »

clemencia2us wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:08 pm 48 pencils to start the year!
My Elementary-age children are given a list of suggested school supplies to donate to the classroom, we got the lists today, including was a package of 24 pencils (some teachers go so far as to insist on Ticonderoga brand, it is the best I’ve found, and I give those to my boys for personal school use). I usually donate Kleenex, 1ream of white paper per child, pencils, and hand sanitizer—I refuse to donate the whole entire list per child as that costs $50-100!!!
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

itspennyc wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:45 pm I solved the pencil problem by using a mechanical pencil. I discovered them when I was in elementary school. My current pencil is at least 30 years old.

I also use an eraser stick that is refillable.

Penny
I love the refillable eraser sticks, though I don't see them around me area much anymore.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

It's been while since we had a lot of wood pencils around, predominantly because when the kids were small they kept losing the sharpeners. I bought an old-fashioned crank-handle sharpener but it over-chewed them and kept breaking the leads... nothing's the same in the modern world :lol:

These days we use mechanical pencils w/refill lead from Amazon and have more pens, between DH's seminars and industry-related events and the 2 convention-style things we attend annually, than we'll ever need.

Bugs me to see all that plastic come back every time, I've told him, bring me the soft freebie t-shirts, leave the pens!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:30 pm I love the refillable eraser sticks, though I don't see them around me area much anymore.
Clic erasers - we get those via Amazon, too. I'm afraid if I walk through the office / school supplies part of a store I'll buy 2 of everything - I have a weakness for sticky notes and gel pens :D
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

I use pencils...the wood kind. I keep them as long as I am comfortable...not too short.
48 pencils????? Holy Cow!
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I usually lose them (or someone absconds with them) before they get too small.

Reminds me of DS1. He would pick up any homeless writing utensil. At the end of the year, when we cleaned out his bedroom & backpack for the summer, we'd end up with a gallon zip bag of pens, pencils, highlighters, etc..

So 48 pencils does not sound outrageous to me.