Gayle's Cancer Updates

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Re: Gayle's Cancer Updates

Post by rinty »

Perfect ! I am SO GLAD you got offers to help you go to the temple. It'll be good for you, it'll be good for those who take you and it WILL be faith promoting to maybe someone you don't even know who sees you there. You might be exactly what they need to help them get thru something in their life.

Good for you !
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I sent this email out about my ER visit & subsequent hospital stay.
-———————-
Dear Family & Friends,

Some of you know this, many do not.

It is now 11:30pm Friday night. Last night at 8 or 9, I started coughing, a dry cough, and I had a dry sore throat (also runny nose, and severe shivers). By 2am I was struggling to breathe and shivering as I tried to get warm, and I was hearing crackling as I was breathing. I rearranged my pillows so I was sitting upright and was finally able to sleep at about 5am. I awoke at 7:30 to take my thrush medicine, then slept on the couch near the fire from 9am to noon. At noon I realized that I wasn't feeling better, and emailed my Oncologist’s office with what had been happening, and asked what they wanted me to do. They called me within 20 minutes and told me that I needed to go to Urgent Care or the ER to get checked out.

Andrew took me to Urgent Care in Roosevelt at UBMC and as soon as they checked my temperature & oxygen, they decided to send me to the ER. My oxygen was 83-84, and my temperature was 104.5, so the Urgent Care nurses put me on oxygen, put me in a wheelchair and took me to ER.

In the ER, they gave me Tylenol to bring down the fever, hooked me up to an IV, drew blood, did a respiratory test (they swabbed the back of my nostril-the lab tech joked that he was swabbing my brain), a strep test.

I tested negative for Strep, flu, RSV, pneumonia, bronchitis. My white blood count was over 2400, normal is less than 700. The ER Dr called Huntsman to talk to the On-Call Oncologist who told him to keep me overnight, or longer.

The hospitalist Dr Garcia told me they would be running IV antibiotics (he also told me that Dr Solomon from Huntsman said to Not Give me antibiotics, which I found strange), and giving me another liter of saline. They kept me on oxygen until 9pm, and I was allowed one more blanket because my temp was in normal range. I have also had my blood sugar tested (124), and had an EKG. They have given me one of those oxygen-boosting devices where you suck on it and a disc floats up.

I am continuing to cough, always dry cough. My lungs hurt, and my belly hurts from the coughing.

I would ask that you continue to keep me in your prayers, and pray for the Drs to figure out what is going on with me.

With love,
Gayle Peel Jackson
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

rinty wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:26 pm Perfect ! I am SO GLAD you got offers to help you go to the temple. It'll be good for you, it'll be good for those who take you and it WILL be faith promoting to maybe someone you don't even know who sees you there. You might be exactly what they need to help them get thru something in their life.

Good for you !
In light of recent events, I think I’ll wait to go to Temple until the one ot two days before my next chemo.

I need to go to promote my own faith. 😉
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:39 am I sent this email out about my ER visit & subsequent hospital stay.
-———————-
Dear Family & Friends,

Some of you know this, many do not.

It is now 11:30pm Friday night. Last night at 8 or 9, I started coughing, a dry cough, and I had a dry sore throat (also runny nose, and severe shivers). By 2am I was struggling to breathe and shivering as I tried to get warm, and I was hearing crackling as I was breathing. I rearranged my pillows so I was sitting upright and was finally able to sleep at about 5am. I awoke at 7:30 to take my thrush medicine, then slept on the couch near the fire from 9am to noon. At noon I realized that I wasn't feeling better, and emailed my Oncologist’s office with what had been happening, and asked what they wanted me to do. They called me within 20 minutes and told me that I needed to go to Urgent Care or the ER to get checked out.

Andrew took me to Urgent Care in Roosevelt at UBMC and as soon as they checked my temperature & oxygen, they decided to send me to the ER. My oxygen was 83-84, and my temperature was 104.5, so the Urgent Care nurses put me on oxygen, put me in a wheelchair and took me to ER.

In the ER, they gave me Tylenol to bring down the fever, hooked me up to an IV, drew blood, did a respiratory test (they swabbed the back of my nostril-the lab tech joked that he was swabbing my brain), a strep test.

I tested negative for Strep, flu, RSV, pneumonia, bronchitis. My white blood count was over 2400, normal is less than 700. The ER Dr called Huntsman to talk to the On-Call Oncologist who told him to keep me overnight, or longer.

The hospitalist Dr Garcia told me they would be running IV antibiotics (he also told me that Dr Solomon from Huntsman said to Not Give me antibiotics, which I found strange), and giving me another liter of saline. They kept me on oxygen until 9pm, and I was allowed one more blanket because my temp was in normal range. I have also had my blood sugar tested (124), and had an EKG. They have given me one of those oxygen-boosting devices where you suck on it and a disc floats up.

I am continuing to cough, always dry cough. My lungs hurt, and my belly hurts from the coughing.

I would ask that you continue to keep me in your prayers, and pray for the Drs to figure out what is going on with me.

With love,
Gayle Peel Jackson
Gayle glad you are somewhat improved. Will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love, ((hugs)) and prayers. Your friend, Janet
Janet Alliesmama
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:19 am Gayle glad you are somewhat improved. Will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love, ((hugs)) and prayers. Your friend, Janet
Thank you Janet.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Am essentially cancer free now. Shouldn't I be celebrating?? Maybe next week after these side effects slough off.

Have been feeling “left out” because not all of my hair fell out, strange I know. So I shaved the last bits, best as I could, prior to my shower today. I wanna be totally Bald!! 😁 Not kinda bald!

I think it's depression a bit that has hold of me. I should go for a walk just to be out of house, though I can barely stand upright as chemo is making me feel so sleepy.