Gayle's Cancer Updates

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Biopsy Results & My Cancer Updates

Post by Jackielou »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:59 pm Okay, one tiny update.

I got called by the Genetics clinic today, I have the BRCA1 gene mutation! ☹️ Not the answer I wanted. So I have an increased 40-45% risk of getting a different kind of breast cancer later, AND 40-60% risk of getting ovarian cancer (If I don't get my ovaries removed after my treatments have ended).

So now I need to pray in earnest about what kind of surgery I should have done.

1 interesting fact though, my first cousin who tested positive for BRCA1, she & I have the Same Exact Gene Mutation!!😮😳 So this gene comes from my Dad’s side of the family!
The more information you have the better it is to make the right fully informed decision. I am praying for you.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Gayle, I’m sorry that the genetic testing did not turn out as you had hoped. I know that you’ll pray for guidance in making your decisions. Also, I hope that the Huntsman center can connect you with some other ladies who have the BRCA1 gene. (((Hugs)))
rinty

Post by rinty »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:59 pm Okay, one tiny update.

I got called by the Genetics clinic today, I have the BRCA1 gene mutation! ☹️ Not the answer I wanted. So I have an increased 40-45% risk of getting a different kind of breast cancer later, AND 40-60% risk of getting ovarian cancer (If I don't get my ovaries removed after my treatments have ended).

So now I need to pray in earnest about what kind of surgery I should have done.

1 interesting fact though, my first cousin who tested positive for BRCA1, she & I have the Same Exact Gene Mutation!!😮😳 So this gene comes from my Dad’s side of the family!
Oh,Gayle, just hugs and prayers lovey, hugs and prayers xxx
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello friends,

My surgeon & I finally connected on Thursday night, we played phone tag awhile. She did discuss the results if the genetics tests, but she was most concerned about the MRI results—they had seen a “non-mass enhancement” of about 3cm that they were very concerned about, “suspicious and abnormality” were also mentioned. So given my cancerous tumor in that same breast, she feels that it is pre-cancerous but hasn't “clumped together” in cancerous tumor form. My left breast looked fine.

Given that, she recommends right breast mastectomy, but has left the final decision up to me, but I need to call her on Monday morning with me decision.

I am leaning towards double mastectomy, but please pray for me to Know my choice is the right one.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:02 am Hello friends,

My surgeon & I finally connected on Thursday night, we played phone tag awhile. She did discuss the results if the genetics tests, but she was most concerned about the MRI results—they had seen a “non-mass enhancement” of about 3cm that they were very concerned about, “suspicious and abnormality” were also mentioned. So given my cancerous tumor in that same breast, she feels that it is pre-cancerous but hasn't “clumped together” in cancerous tumor form. My left breast looked fine.

Given that, she recommends right breast mastectomy, but has left the final decision up to me, but I need to call her on Monday morning with me decision.

I am leaning towards double mastectomy, but please pray for me to Know my choice is the right one.
Gayle I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for you to make the right choice. ((hug)) and love from your friend Janet
Janet Alliesmama
bigcheryl

Post by bigcheryl »

Gayle I have been reading about your journey and wanted to let you know I had a double mastectomy 6 years ago. I was 55 and it was my second time diagnosed with breast cancer. I do not have the BCA gene but decided in the surgery due to my kids not that old and with the second time they would not due radiation and I was stage 3. I am not going to lie, it is hard but you need to do what is best for you. If you trust your doctor have the surgery. You can have reconstruction surgery if you want. I didn't, I am a diabetic, and just wanted to be done. You may still need chemo, your family better be prepared for you to be tired, not want to eat or cook, and just have a hard time. If you would like to talk I would be more than willing to answer any questions. Your faith will get you through. I am a lurker now but use to contribute years ago.