Daily check in August 12, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Daily check in August 12, 2019

Post by icfrugal1 »

So dogs walked.

Goldie, (so hard to believe that just a year ago she was 6# she is now 78#) sadly she is still very skittish (SP) I walk both Goldie and BB at the same time, I am getting stronger, walking a big dog will do that :lol: :lol:

I've started bread, to bake tomorrow and have done a load of wash, it is hanging on hangers in the house to dry.

This afternoon I have a nurses appt for my feet, one advantage on being a diabetic, they will look at your feet and take off any rough spots ect. I do wish that DH would also go.

IC
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

colonialgirl wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:11 pm "I was hopeful that there would be some intelligent responses regarding "Obamacare" that I could bring to her attention. But alas, several people here are more interested in shooting the messenger"

Oh DG - DG - DG
No you weren't. There was nothing about asking for input or responses or what do you think. These persistent digs are text book passive aggressive behavior. No one is shooting the messenger - just the mode of delivering it.

The political posts on this forum over the years have been heated and educational and intense. If you want to make a political statement, start a thread, mark it political and state your point and then be ready to defend it with facts - because that is what will be demanded. But if you want people to get off your back, stop- dropping this little political smack downs in other topics. Nobody is fooled.

But since you brought it up, my advice to your friend is that she should look around and see what other kinds of insurance she can buy for $800 per month. I doubt she will find much. I am sorry she has to pay - but hubs group insurance is 60% subsidized by his former employer and we pay over $500 monthly for our share of his coverage and 100% of mine. I had quotes 10 years ago of private insurance for the 2 of us in retirement running about 2300 per month. As Penny says, maybe the best advice for her is to suggest gratitude she is able to get health insurance at all.
One of the reasons that I am in debt is that I lost my medical insurance due to the hospital I worked for went out of business and the incoming administration would not honor the deal of offering insurance until I was 65. I retired early with the understanding that I had medical coverage until the age of 65 with me making monthly premium co-payments. So here I was disabled and unable to work and no insurance and social security fighting me regarding being too ill to work. I went without insurance for 3 years and racked up considerable credit card debt. This Nov and then next March I will finally have the bills paid off. I will be 75 and the debts started to pile up around 19 years ago. I was forced in to early retirement at the age of 53 due to medical problems. So what little bit of money I had saved was gone in a short period of time with just regular daily needs. I would not wish this on anyone. If my parents had not left me some money I would not be able to live where I live. In hind sight if I have realized moving here to see more of my family was a pipe dream. I thought if I lived closer I would see them more nope. I do love my house and it is my forever home but the house I lived in before was nice as well and a whole lot cheaper to maintain and pay taxes on. However cannot change a thing so move on and keep going.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

icfrugal1 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:21 pm So dogs walked.

Goldie, (so hard to believe that just a year ago she was 6# she is now 78#) sadly she is still very skittish (SP) I walk both Goldie and BB at the same time, I am getting stronger, walking a big dog will do that :lol: :lol:

I've started bread, to bake tomorrow and have done a load of wash, it is hanging on hangers in the house to dry.

This afternoon I have a nurses appt for my feet, one advantage on being a diabetic, they will look at your feet and take off any rough spots ect. I do wish that DH would also go.

IC
IC be careful. A friend of mine did the same with her big dogs and they pulled her off balance and she had a serious fracture of her wrist that took months to heal. It is amazing how quickly they grow up.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

That was good information Janet. We went through a couple of bouts of no insurance and Cobra that ran out. It sure was scary. And my handyman recently finally got SSI. I think she could have applied for SSI given the condition of her spine, but I find that unsolicited opinions are generally not welcome. But the several of you who are sharing your insight into the insurance situation are sure being helpful. If there were more giving useful information, I might feel like I could soften her anger at Obamacare. Anger is never healthy.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Did you give up on Brad Pitt - CG?

We have a version of that horseshoe sandwich here.

But not in sandwich form. It is french fries, topped with carne guisada (basically a thick beef stew) and then cheese.

It is so gooooddddddddd!!!!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

jckitty wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:44 am Jackie,
trying to post the link

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/244637/lime-pickles/

This is the way I make them, except I add 2 sticks of cinnamon broken .
When you soak and drain the cucumbers, be warned...it has a powerful odor, LOL.

These were my mom and dads all time favorite and in fact the whole family loves them.
Good luck.

JCKitty
Thanks. I will have to give them a try.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/