Does anyone use Hulo or Roku for their tv service

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Does anyone use Hulo or Roku for their tv service

Post by mbrudnic »

Let me try:

for streaming you need
  • Internet connection
- mine comes from the big, bad cable TV company for $45 a month
  • A device for streaming
- that would be a smart TV, Amazon fire, Roku, or apple TV...
  • a streaming service subscription
-Yes, some devices can get free "channels" but not a whole lot of variety

Some streaming services include
  • Amazon Prime
  • NetFlix
  • Sling TV
  • Hulu
  • Philo
  • You Tube
- Even my big,bad Cable TV company keeps calling me to have me try out their streaming service.

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-live-tv- ... d-cutters/

Maggie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

LogicsHere wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:42 am I, don't understand all this TV streaming stuff and have no one to help me with it. I also don't own a Smart TV. I still have a traditional tube tv in my living room and a 32 inch HD TV which I had gotten for my mother but I now have in my bedroom. My cable bundle costs a small fortune, almost $2800 a year. Would like to do away with it one day but I am partial to having all the Hallmark Channels and I definitely would still need internet because I'm on line all day long when I'm home.
Maggie has good tips.

My suggestion is to buy a Roku for your newer bedroom TV to try it. I have the cheapest Roku stick from a few years ago but if buying today I think I’d get the Roku Streaming Stick +

It is pretty easy to set up. It connects to your Wi-Fi so be sure to know your Wi-Fi password.

Roku offers some free content but like Maggie said you will want a streaming service subscription. Philo has three Hallmark channels plus many other channels for $20/month. I don’t have it but Maggie and OwnedbyDogs both like it.

https://try.philo.com

Scroll to the bottom for the list of all the channels.

At some point you’ll want to get rid of the tube TV in your living room. That may be an ordeal because they are heavy and no one wants them. I got rid of mine by getting a Best Buy delivery person to take it away but I think they’ve stopped. We had a heck of a time at mom’s house. We finally got a painter or plumber or someone I can’t recall carry it into the garage. Then a charity place did take it but I think they’ve now stopped. So good luck.
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

LogicsHere wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:42 am I, don't understand all this TV streaming stuff and have no one to help me with it. I also don't own a Smart TV. I still have a traditional tube tv in my living room and a 32 inch HD TV which I had gotten for my mother but I now have in my bedroom. My cable bundle costs a small fortune, almost $2800 a year. Would like to do away with it one day but I am partial to having all the Hallmark Channels and I definitely would still need internet because I'm on line all day long when I'm home.
Philo has all Hallmark channels a and 50 other channels for 20.00 month. Much better than the Hallmark streaming channel who has old shows from the past yrs. In fact I am watching a hallmark show I taped last night from Philo.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Logics, you really have to try the ROKU box. If I can hook it up anyone can. Walmart has the ROKU for old tube TV's. If you absolutely can't hook it up, which I know you can, instructions are included which are easy to understand. If for any reason you couldn't make it work, then return it. I don't know if they carry in their stores, but here is the on-line link to order. Honey, if I were paying that much a year I would find someone in the area, like the Geek Squad that works on computers and have one of those guys come and do it for me. I don't know how much they charge, but you would recoop the expense in the first month. All you need is wifi and you are set to go, you have internet and you might need a router to make things work. I got off cable 2 years ago and haven't regretted it a day since I did. My internet service is $39.95 a month and I have a router in my office that services my entire house. I have smart tv's in 3 rooms and my old faithful in my Bedroom. It services them all.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-Express-HD/369278616