Recession?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Recession?

Post by Quilter51 »

This doesnt make me feel all warm and fuzzy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.ya ... 46447.html
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

The comments don't make me feel warm and fuzzy either. I'm hoping this story was updated ... I'm puzzled by some of the commenters' math ...
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I try to avoid reading yahoo commenters at all costs but I may run back later ..
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I only watch local news for the weather. When I want to make financial decisions I listen to nightly business report and Marketwatch among other sources. A recession is unlikely, they say. The inverted interest rate curve is no longer there and according to my sources, should not be considered significant unless it lasts 2 weeks. It lasted 24 hours, a clickbait moment. Educational.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:54 pm I only watch local news for the weather. When I want to make financial decisions I listen to nightly business report and Marketwatch among other sources. A recession is unlikely, they say. The inverted interest rate curve is no longer there and according to my sources, should not be considered significant unless it lasts 2 weeks. It lasted 24 hours, a clickbait moment. Educational.
Yet, today...."President Trump on Monday called on the Federal Reserve to stimulate what he called a “very strong” economy as the White House tries to tamp down rising fears of a global recession.." https://thehill.com/policy/finance/over ... -recession

He's also "looking into" a payroll tax cut to further "stimulate" this "strong economy".

A strong economy doesn't need a stimulus.
ohjodi
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I dont believe an interest rate curve is the only indicator of a recession. At least when it comes to what affects us average folks. We have a slowing down of employment. A slowing down of housing prices. Increased cost because of worsening tarrifs. And a majority of economists still as of today predict a recession by 2021.

And the president is institute more stupid tarrifs. Just diing it after the first of the year because..Christmas and he wants to avoid a recession before the election.

Sorry if this is political.but for an international.business guy imho he doesnt get the global economy too well. Not even his advisors want more tarrifs.