Recession?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Recession?

Post by Quilter51 »

I do have to say that I dont consider the Hill, Wadington Post, New York Times or Business insider or Yahoo finance to be local news.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Quilter51 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:08 pm I do have to say that I dont consider the Hill, Wadington Post, New York Times or Business insider or Yahoo finance to be local news.
I don't really understand your statement. We're not talking about local news. We're talking about the possibility, or not, of a US recession.
ohjodi
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Jodi, I believe Quilter was responding to DG's reference to local news.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Quilter51 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:06 pm I dont believe an interest rate curve is the only indicator of a recession. At least when it comes to what affects us average folks. We have a slowing down of employment. A slowing down of housing prices. Increased cost because of worsening tarrifs. And a majority of economists still as of today predict a recession by 2021.

And the president is institute more stupid tarrifs. Just diing it after the first of the year because..Christmas and he wants to avoid a recession before the election.

Sorry if this is political.but for an international.business guy imho he doesnt get the global economy too well. Not even his advisors want more tarrifs.
Just lost my post, but in a nutshell ...

It will be surprising if we don’t have a recession by 2021 no matter who is President. This expansion has already lasted 10 years.

Last time I checked, we haven’t repealed the business cycle.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I hate it when that happens and I dont disagree as such. I do think it's being hurried along, and as some economists have said Trmp is looking at mitigating actions that might be better used down the line
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Quilter51 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:56 am I hate it when that happens and I dont disagree as such. I do think it's being hurried along, and as some economists have said Trmp is looking at mitigating actions that might be better used down the line
Exactly. Interest rates are already so low that cutting them a lot now will leave nothing to cut - to stimulate the economy - when we really need it. More quantitative easing I guess. There is already talk of negative interest rates on government and corporate bonds - a topic I don’t understand.

One thing I’m anticipating is lower CD rates - even lower than we have now. Wouldn’t surprise me if CD rates go back to <1% like we had a few years ago. That will hurt people who rely on CD interest for income if any of those people are left.