Daily Check-in August 18, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily Check-in August 18, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:19 am

Good morning. I have had another night of no sleep. It is very dark and quiet right now. I can hear the Illinois chorus frogs singing their song in a small pond that is on my brothers property but almost on the property line between our proprieties. Also every now and then I hear an owl hooting. Sometimes I see it or another owl sitting on a tree in the wooded area behind my house. I call it it Katie Owl after our friend Kate.

Not much planned for today just the usual cooking and puttering.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check-in August 18, 2019

Post by Dgflorida » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:59 am

Good morning Janet and all,

Sorry you had a sleepless night. Those are very frustrating.

Yesterday, between rain storms, I got the rest of the one clump of sugarcane out of the north flower bed. I did feel it a bit in my knee unfortunately. But I saved money by doing it myself. Hired help is so expensive. Today, I will finish digging the hole I need for the new tree. It has been sitting in its pot now for months since my knee went bad. I have a second one to plant, but I have to dig up a massive papaya root first. That will be a daunting task.

Thanks to the rainy, cloudy weather, the ac has not run for several days. I love saving that money. Our electric bill should be lower this month as a result. The estimated 10-12 inches of rain overwhelmed my rain barrels, so I have been just releasing water into the yard. But since we are due to dry out, I can close them off to save rainwater for my garden. It looks like most of my false rosella hibiscus cuttings "took" thanks to the rainy weather. Lovely free, fall blooms ahead. First ones were free plant swaps. Free is nice.

Today, I am grateful for the internet that allows me to study and learn new things. Have a good day everyone.

Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:35 am

Good morning everyone,

Today is our oldest daughter’s birthday. It’s hard to believe she turns 36 today. It seems like yesterday that she started her post grad studies in St. Louis. I posted a greeting on her Facebook page and will call later. We have a two hour time difference.

I’m not sure what we’re doing today but it will probably be a quiet family day at home. Our weather has been beautiful so we’ll spend lots of time outside and enjoy it while we can.

Creative

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:42 am

Good morning.

Just checked the weather and it will be another muggy, on and off rainy day. Temps appear to be coming down a bit by Wednesday, but humidity still near 70%.

Not much planned for today. The next two weeks will be very slow. Tomorrow will not be a good day to meet for our coloring group and not sure about the week after that and then there's Labor Day weekend so nothing going on for almost 2 weeks. Hoping that I don't go stircrazy. Will be checking to see if there is anything worth going to see in the only fairly local theater left; right now that looks like my only option.

Planning on pancakes w/turkey bacon for lunch and a slice of pizza and a salad for dinner tonight. Making some headway with my freezer inventory, but still have a ways to go. Thinking about redoing my inventory sheet and revising my plan today.

Well that's all for now, I suppose. Have a wonderful day.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:46 am

Good Morning,

I am quite encouraged that my hip is getting better. I was able to walk over 7200 steps yesterday without agony. My body assessment went well. My skeletal-Muscle weight is good. I need to lose the excess fat around my belly.

I am going to make a Dr. appointment. after 16 months of thinking I was post-menopausal, I started bleeding yesterday. Ugh!

I have no big plans for today other than going to Mass in a bit. I found and ordered some curtain rod hangars that attach to the blinds. I want to put curtains in my bedroom. light from the parking lot leaks into it at night. So many a trip to Walmart is in order.

Have a great day,
Maggie

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:06 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Slept in a bit because I was tired and hurting after the trip to the city yesterday. Getting old I guess.

Today after Mass (well some will happen before Mass) the meat bought yesterday will be readied for the freezer, herbs dehydrated, and perhaps another picking of the garden accomplished. I just might shred the last two large zucchini as well (this even though I am sure I have more than enough zucchini in the freezer, I hate to waste). Just noticed on my to do list for today a note to weed the perennial bed and the pots and boxes of flowers on the patio and deck. That just might have to wait until my hips are feeling better, and I really have been keeping up with this task so things don't look too bad as of yet.

I also need to put away the fabric and yarn I purchased as well as make a list of the Cricut tools and blades I need to order online next month (spent enough on hobby items this month, in fact way over spent on these).

The mornings are very cool, in fact it feels much more like early fall right now. More and more trees are changing colour, and there is a heavy dew on the ground most mornings as I have said before.

Costs are rising (as my stock up cart showed, and I didn't get as much as I usually get) which is concerning. I know that this rising cost will be blamed on the Carbon Tax, but I think it has more to do with the power struggle between countries and the tariffs that are being imposed constantly changing. Yes, even us Canadians feel the tug of war, and are paying the costs. No food shortages though as could happen with a no plan Brexit plan in the UK. Rinty, I would like your take on that if you get a chance to read this after your vacation.

Supper tonight will be one of the chickens in the package of three we purchased yesterday. I am hopeful that we can perhaps put it on the BBQ, but if we can't roasted in the oven is just fine. Plan on making creamed potatoes, coleslaw (lots of cabbage in the crisper) and using up a bag of frozen corn or peas.

If I get energetic I may just pop a cake into bake with the chicken and we will have cake for dessert for the next while.

Today I am grateful for my aches and pains, and that taking a walk usually gets rid of them.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.