Jodi

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Jodi

Post by floridacatlover »

Lots of good ideas, ladies!

Jodi, I’m going to check out GLOW when I start Netflix.

I like Olivia Colman but from watching the trailer for The Favourite it looked really strange so I never rented it at Redbox and I’m glad that I didn’t fall for the Oscar hype. I did watch Olivia Colman in The Night Manager on Prime and really enjoyed it.

I still LOVE the Americans, too! Noah Emmerich is going to be in a new Netflix series called The Spy starting in September. It does not have any connection to the Americans (based on the life of Israeli spy Eli Cohen) but I’m going to check it out. I probably won’t sign up for Netflix until late Oct./early Nov. so if you watch it, let me know what you think.

CG, yes the sex stuff with Paul Giamatti is definitely out of my comfort zone. But the show is great. First one in awhile to keep me interested. I’m only on episode 8.
mona50

Post by mona50 »

Big Little Lies, anyone? I just watched season 2 this weekend. (Free HBO) Thought it was GREAT!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

mona50 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:57 am Big Little Lies, anyone? I just watched season 2 this weekend. (Free HBO) Thought it was GREAT!
That is on my list to watch.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:24 pm Lots of good ideas, ladies!

Jodi, I’m going to check out GLOW when I start Netflix.

I like Olivia Colman but from watching the trailer for The Favourite it looked really strange so I never rented it at Redbox and I’m glad that I didn’t fall for the Oscar hype. I did watch Olivia Colman in The Night Manager on Prime and really enjoyed it.

I still LOVE the Americans, too! Noah Emmerich is going to be in a new Netflix series called The Spy starting in September. It does not have any connection to the Americans (based on the life of Israeli spy Eli Cohen) but I’m going to check it out. I probably won’t sign up for Netflix until late Oct./early Nov. so if you watch it, let me know what you think.

CG, yes the sex stuff with Paul Giamatti is definitely out of my comfort zone. But the show is great. First one in awhile to keep me interested. I’m only on episode 8.
Thanks for the heads-up about Noah Emmerich!
ohjodi
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I watched “On the Basis of Sex” last night and really enjoyed it. It is the true story of how Ruth Bader Ginsburg and husband Marty brought a groundbreaking case on gender equality before the U.S. Court of Appeals. Sounds dry but it isn’t. I got it at Redbox.

It made me think of how my mom (not an activist by any means) got so mad that her Sears credit card was imprinted with Mrs. J rather than her own first name. Also upset when she bought a CD with her own money (from where I don’t know) and when she got home realized they had put it in dad’s name. She made the bank change it and asked the bank representative if she would like her paycheck made out to her husband. Finally when dad died and she changed the electric bill into her name they wanted to treat her like a new customer and pay a deposit. She put a stop to that idea! All these things were not that long ago.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:35 pm I watched “On the Basis of Sex” last night and really enjoyed it. It is the true story of how Ruth Badger Ginsburg and husband Marty brought a groundbreaking case on gender equality before the U.S. Court of Appeals. Sounds dry but it isn’t. I got it at Redbox.

It made me think of how my mom (not an activist by any means) got so mad that her Sears credit card was imprinted with Mrs. J rather than her own first name. Also upset when she bought a CD with her own money (from where I don’t know) and when she got home realized they had put it in dad’s name. She made the bank change it and asked the bank representative if she would like her paycheck made out to her husband. Finally when dad died and she changed the electric bill into her name they wanted to treat her like a new customer and pay a deposit. She put a stop to that idea! All these things were not that long ago.
Yes, I want to see that RBG movie. She's a hero!

I can't even imagine what it was like to be financially or socially tethered to a husband like that. I recently learned that in Germany, it wasn't until 1978 that a woman could have a job without her HUSBAND'S PERMISSION. What!?

When I look at old recipe books, usually the women are "Mr.s Fred Jones". It's too bad that they didn't use their own names.

I've been looking into my genealogy at familysearch.org, and sometimes even there, there is little record of some women with their own name.
ohjodi