Daily Check-in August 24, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily Check-in August 24, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. We are having a taste of Fall today and I love it. Want to get out and do two 10 min sessions of weed wacking and then rest in the house. I plan on doing some cooking ahead too. Mostly crock pot and baking that does not take too much attention.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check-in August 24, 2019

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning.

Janet, you are lucky to have some cooler weather. Still very hot here.

I’m feeling a bit under the weather today but have already done zone cleaning in my living room.

A few frugal things this week. Today or tomorrow I’ll pick up the last of my two expensive Rx that I have stockpiled as much as possible while I still have my ACA insurance. They will be much more expensive with Medicare. I’m pretty sure I have enough of my two expensive meds to last through the end of the year. I’ll use my Part D starting next month when I need my two less expensive meds.

Filled my gas tank a few days ago when it was $2.13/gallon, the cheapest I’ve seen in quite awhile. Next day it was up to $2.23.

Another success using AutoSlash.com to reserve a car rental. Not as big a savings as my Canada rental but I’m saving $37 over the cheapest rate I could find on my own for my trip to RI. This is with Alamo. I don’t rent with no-name car rental companies and AutoSlash only uses name brand companies from what I’ve seen.

Creative, great idea to use the prepaid debit cards for your upcoming trip. I’ll ask you the details so I can do this for my next trip. I don’t carry my debit card on a day-to-day basis in the U.S. but wanted to have it in England and Canada so I moved most of the money in my checking to another account before my trip (in case my card was stolen) and moved the money back to my checking when I got home. Kind of a pain. Your idea of the prepaid debit is SO much better.

Forgot to add that I’m enjoying planning my outfits a day ahead a la Diane in Denmark. I put two command hooks on the back of my bedroom door, one for tops and one for bottoms. When I get dressed, I pick out an “outfit” for the next day. For me this is usually shorts and tops. I have many colors of shorts and lots of pretty tops. I’m now finding I’m wearing more of them. Also I’m wearing more of my jewelry, mostly different earrings and sometimes bracelets. I can easily get in the rut of wearing gold ball or pearl earrings over and over. I wear the guardian angel pin I found in mom’s jewelry box every day. I’m enjoying my different outfits.

Have a good day.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites

I am typing this listening to the roll of thunder getting closer, and this storm is moving fast. I probably will have to shut down some electronics very soon that is how dark it is outside right now.

I think today will be a stay in the house type of day (there goes harvesting the garden) and get some projects accomplished. Don't know how much sewing that will entail considering it is pretty darn dark out, but I think with my Ott light, the drapes open and the overhead light on I could in fact get a few things done without too much eyestrain.

The quick moving clouds are here so perhaps the storm will move over us just as quickly as it arrived. I may be able to get a short walk in inbetween cloud bursts.

Since it is pouring rain I should be able to easily say this will not be a spend day. Staying in, keeping dry and listening through open windows the sound of rain hitting the ground and watering our lawns, gardens and trees. This means I have accomplished 18 no spend days this week. Looking so forward to extending that.

The recession thread got me doing a bit more research which is always a good thing, and everything I have read, talking to various business people, my own home grown economist (youngest son has his BA with Honours in that), and even our financial advisor I am beginning to think it could be inevitable. I think this one will be world wide (my opinion only) others figure it will be situated here in North America. We shall see what happens over the next few years (cause there is a long slide into the pit and a steep climb to make out). People can disagree, but I have done my research and talked to people in the "know" here.

I guess where this is leading me is to say that being prepared for the worst that can happen but hoping for the best is something my parents taught me and I am gong to make sure everything I do reflects this. The old saying that in order to make money you have to spend money comes to mind. The house needs painting, and new flooring in some areas so those will be done this year. Hubby is already taping off the baseboards and plans to start next week. Our furniture is 23 years old, getting tatty, worn down, and in some cases broken. I think that next week a shopping trip for new furniture is in order. This way when and if we have to move selling the house will be much easier and probably more profitable.

We will be going over the budget line by line in December, so any changes will be made then. Problem is costs keep rising and budget lines need to reflect that. Hopefully the new furnace will show even more savings next year. The air conditioning costs have not been that high really, but than again the summer only had a few days of really warm weather this year.

It will also mean changing what we plant in the spring veggie gardens or the bigger box planters, and it will mean that I start more plants inside for those flower baskets and pots on the decks. Not a bad thing really, just something that will take up loads of room in the house.

We all have weathered recessions before and we will do the same with this one.

Supper tonight is going to be either BBQ Chicken wings or they will be done in the air fryer. Served with cauliflower, and green beans (hopefully this will use up the remainder of those I picked a few days ago). I have pie for dessert as well.

Today I am grateful to live where I do and can watch the storms move up the valley. It is an awesome sight some days.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello friends,

Am still feeling tired, so am still in bed. Of course I did sleep poorly last night, though I slept between 1-6am.

Last night, Dh suggested I go back to spinning group today, but I’m not sure I’d have the energy to get home tho I’d dearly like to go!

We went to a wedding reception last night—the girl is one of 3 children from a Primary class we taught 18 years ago, she is the last to marry.

I have no plans today, though I want a short walk, and I really should shred zucchini & yellow squash. Beans probably need picking too-I almost have enough to can 1 quart.😂 Maybe today will be the day when I’ll make zucchini muffins.

I do need to gather up email addresses and send out a big group email, I hope I can remember everything I want to say on it. Sometimes when I talk to other people first, then little details that I wanted to share with everyone disappear out of my memory.☹️

I was thinking yesterday while driving—lately I can only do one Big Thing per day, and often it's making dinner. But when I try to be like the Old Gayle, and do lots every day, then my energy deserts me and I get little to nothing done.

Today is my dsister’s birthday, she is 47. I sent her a birthday greeting through our family chat in Whatsapp, and will likely call or text her later.

Dinner will be some of Dh’s massive quantity of leftovers, OR baked potatoes, OR chili (which no one wanted to make for me).

Today I’m thankful for those leftovers from Dh’s company’s dinner!
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning Janet and all,

No touch of fall here unfortunately. Still hot. But the grass is mowed. The groceries are bought. And the weather is rain free for the moment.

Today, I plan to clean and tidy the concrete patio in front and maybe a bit in back. Normal frugal things around the house. Recycle coffee grounds and filters. Recycle egg shells. Recycle cans, etc to the recycle bin. Save water by my various techniques. Today, I will cook dinner in my outside cooking area to reduce the heat generated in the house and thereby reduce the need for the ac. "Energy saved is a penny earned." is my frugal motto.

I have reduced the garbage we generate to a point that I only need to put one small grocery bag of garbage in the can once a week, mostly plastic that cannot be recycled. That means I will no longer need to buy plastic kitchen bags and can use free grocery store bags. Although I recycled most of them this week, I still have plenty for this experiment.

Thanks to Janet's inspirational posts, I am working hard to use up all food, waste nothing.

Yesterday, I was able to give the yard guy a compliment on his work and be impressed by my neighbor's flowers and fulfill my daily random act of kindness.

Today, I am grateful that I have no hate, anger or even frustration in my heart.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thinking of you Gayle. Be gentle to yourself. You are more important than any chore.
Last edited by Dgflorida on Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.