Daily Check In Sept. 5, 2015

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: Daily Check In Sept. 5, 2015

Post by jckitty » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Good evening all,

We are having weird weather, hot and looks like it will rain but we only get sprinkles and the high humidity that goes with it. yuck. We could use some rain, I watered plants on the decks and patio, but they are looking sad, they are obviously done for the year.

I haven't felt really well for the last couple of days, throat hurts, sneezing and a low fever, thought it was allergies but leaning to summer cold now. Haven't been sick in so long forgot how awful it is. Picked tomatoes again, probably half a bushel. They are waiting on the counter for me to process them . I have still been getting things done but very slowly, just don't feel good.
Was going to mow the lawn today but it will have to wait, the fiancé said he may do it tomorrow but hopefully I will feel good enough to do it myself.
I did get the grocery shopping done today and found a good buy on pork shoulder roast. Have divided it and have 1/3 of it in dry rub/marinade for roasting on Monday. Will make some pulled pork bbq and give some to family also.
I made a batch of chicken salad and boiled some eggs, hope to make some potato salad tomorrow.
Jackies cookie baking sounds so good to me, peanut butter cookies and maybe some molasses cookies might get made here also. Depends on the heat.
Have a good evening all,
JCKitty

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:09 pm

Kitty, take care yourself. Maybe since you retired you've been overdoing it at home. Take some time to relax. Let your fiancé mow the grass. (Do as I say not as I do LOL!)
Hope your cold doesn't last long.

Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:59 pm

Good evening everyone,

I am tired as I feel like I have either been buying or processing food all day! But it will make things much easier next week while I'm working. There was some lovely fresh produce at the farmer's market so I bought a large yellow squash and made a huge pot of squash-cheese soup. It was a new recipe I tried and it turned out really good! I also roasted some beets in the oven and sauted the beet tops with garlic for another side veggie. There was another lady buying the beets at the same vendor as me who didn't want the tops. She asked for them to be cut off. I told her she was throwing away the most nutritional part but she still didn't want them. The vendor asked if I'd like them so of course I said yes. So that involved quite a bit of cleaning as they are such earthy veggies! I soak them in a bowl of water first as a rinse under the colander just doesn't get off the dirt. I also separate the stem from the leaves as it takes a little longer to cook.

After the farmer's market I then ventured to Walmart. Needless to say it was very busy and a bit frustrating. But I managed to get everything I needed for this upcoming week and won't have to poke my nose into a store again for a while. Except for Shopper's Drug Mart as I have a gift card about to expire. Just didn't feel like going there after all the shopping this morning.

I did get to enjoy some time outside as dh and I ate both our lunch and dinner outside, enjoying the beautiful sunshine and fresh air. Tomorrow we're supposed to get some rain - sure hope it doesn't materialize as there's a country fair in a village nearby and we always like to go to it. The fair runs for two days so if it's really rainy we can defer until Labour Day. My neighbour friend always enters lots of exhibits. She is a very talented seamstress and baker and always receives lots of first prize ribbons. Our two families often attend together, but did more so when the kids were young.

Have a great evening everyone!
Creative

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:27 pm

Thanks Mackie.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:28 pm

Thank you Jackielou.

chocolite

Post by chocolite » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:22 am

ChristmasTrees wrote:A very very sad day for me. One of my dearest friends of almost 40 years died this morning...after a long ongoing battle with cancer.
She was truly an angel on earth, and I will miss her so much.
CT, I am so sorry for your loss. Sending light and prayers to you and your friend's family.

Patty
Patty