Car Decision - the Verdict is In.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalaaron

Re: Car Decision - the Verdict is In.

Post by frugalaaron »

Shelsmiles wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:23 pm I have them detailed once a year- usually when I am wanting to buy a new one. It makes them “feel” newer if that makes sense.
That's a great idea.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:38 pm Mine is 10, has 121,831 miles on it, and better last another 10 years. It was 2 years old with 40,000ish miles on it when I bought it.

My goal - that 'another 10 years' - may not happen. She's burning oil. Not in a 'clouds of blue smoke' way, but in a 'can't see it as it burns... it's not on the garage floor... where is it GOING?!?' way. This has historically been the beginning of the end of a car for me, as soon as mysterious oil disappearance began, other problems followed. But I have to say this for it - in 8 years, I've done routine maintenance and replaced the tires, and once the battery. That's IT. DH does the oil changes and put new brakes on it, so my overall maintenance costs have been minimal. Thus, I'll keep it until maintenance ceases to make sense in comparison to replacement (with another 2-3 year old Camry, because I am a creature of habit).

I'm not a Mr. Money Mustache 'fan' for certain reasons, but he does have some interesting blog entries regarding buying cars, and in the sense of "let someone else suffer the depreciation," I agree with him.

My real problem now is DD will need a car soon. So I'll get her a 2-3 year old Toyota something, but I need to figure out how close I can get to "tank" - something that will protect her - without going broke. Love that kid. Used vehicles are expensive now. It's like they're onto us, :lol:
Sandi,
Ask your local auto supply store about a “Stop Leak” that you can put in with your oil. Sometimes older cars burn more oil, or leak it out, in small unnoticed ways.
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

frugalaaron wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:58 am That's a great idea.
Thank you. I figure $150 on a great detail job beats car payments. 😊