What One Frugal Thing You Do Saves You the Most Money?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

What One Frugal Thing You Do Saves You the Most Money?

Post by Jackielou » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:30 am

Just wondering what frugal habit that each of us has we figure saves us the most money?

I will wait to see what other's say before I add my two cents.

jckitty

Re: What One Frugal Thing You Do Saves You the Most Money?

Post by jckitty » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:38 am

I think for me it is using my smaller electric appliance's instead of the gas stove and oven. I am on propane and it can get quite pricey.

Also, not using my tumble dryer unless I just have to. Lines and racks are used for drying and IF they need to be fluffed, clothes are only tumbled for just a few minutes.

I am interested in the replies of others...always looking to learn something.
JCKitty

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:26 am

I know I sound like a broken record - but for me it is cherry picking grocery sales and stocking up when food is at it's cheapest price.

If I had to chose a second one, it would be my lack of desire for a large wardrobe. I have simple tastes for classic styles and I wear things until they actually physically wear out. I seldom tire of clothing (or anything really) that I really like and feel no need to have different outfits every time I am seen at public occasions. I like to be appropriately and well dressed, but buying clothes is a matter of need to me rather than want. Just not my thing.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:29 pm

I don't go to stores? :lol:

I stopped going when i noticed that i would end up buying things while the others would just browse every single aisle. It got boring.

I stopped taking them. They mention it every now and then but i don't want to end up being a person that spends hours at walmart for example. And they do that. That is their entertainment.

But i did order some new clothes this morning. And i always use a coupon. 30% off on the Jockey website. The code is DAYOFF.

My summer pajamas are really getting threadbare. I bought them years ago when i used to go shopping. I've looked for more on other sites and nothing. They have bermuda length bottoms. It was great when i saw some in the Jockey catalog i got.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:32 pm

The last time i went to the big grocery store i ended up throwing out half the things i bought. And i only bought four items!

Buying at my small local store saves me money. I'm not tempted to just throw things in the cart cuz it looks pretty.

I can also eat the same thing for days. Ala Anderson Cooper!

This coming week it will be tuna fish.

The COD barely eats, so no big deal there. As long as he has skim milk, cookies and popcorn - good to go!

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:55 pm

I agree with Clem. I don’t go to stores (other than the grocery store.)

The other big thing is I track my spending in detail and reevaluate my budget categories each month.

I don’t believe that a lot of the typical frugal tips - diluting dish liquid and shampoo, reusing coffee filters, saving soap scraps, cutting open toothpaste tubes, etc. etc. - save much money.

When I was in the workforce a big thing was saving any salary raises - pretending that I didn’t get the raise and living the same way. Good thing I got used to doing that because my pension does not have a COLA so loses value every year.