What One Frugal Thing You Do Saves You the Most Money?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: What One Frugal Thing You Do Saves You the Most Money?

Post by ohjodi » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:50 pm

After typing this reply, I realized the thread was asking for the ONE frugal thing that saves the most.....so I'm off track, sorry!

So after re-reading the below, I have to say that I really think what saves me the most money doesn't actually seem conventionally frugal.......it's NOT shopping at different stores. chasing sales. It IS frugal with my time and energy. I do like to get certain things, at certain stores. But if I need almond milk and it costs a bit more at the store I'm at, I'll buy it, anyway, rather than make a trip to another store (and end up buying more stuff, there!)

I don't have a "wardrobe", either. I'm jeans and t-shirts. I did buy six nice tops last fall, because I realized I didn't have anything at all decent if I had to go to a funeral, or just to dress a little better now and then if the situation warrants. But I've only worn three of them, and just once, lol. But we're going to a restaurant tonight for my sister's birthday, so I'll do "fancy" and wear one of them, whooo!

Like Clem, I like grocery shopping at the smallest grocery store, here, IGA. They have great meat, and sometimes great sales, but often their prices are higher than Walmart (ugh) or Aldi. We lost our Kroger, last year, I'm still sad about that. But the smaller store doesn't have much exciting different and interesting things to tempt me, and that actually saves me money. Plus this store has nice paper grocery sacks with handles, and they will carry your groceries out for you. Our Walmart now has pick-up grocery, and I know I will use that especially this winter when even just walking from the car to the store is risking a fall.

I no longer have a car. My engine caught on fire last March! One of my sisters leaves one of her cars with me a few times a week, so I'm never wanting for a way to get anywhere. I only drive in town. I put $10 gas in it, here and there, and I put in much more than I use...but there has been a few times where I put $10 in it, then she takes it back the same day, and the next time I get it there's no gas in it, lol I don't especially mind that....I figure it's a way of me paying her for the use of her car, but I did get frustrated a few times because I didn't really have the money to add even more gas. Her husband uses the car, too, and I know he's not aware of who paid for gas. They're the kind to drive until the gas light comes on. I always kept at least 1/4 tank in my car.

Anyway, not having my own car does save me a little, car repairs, especially. My car insurance was only $25/mo (because I have renter's insurance, too). But mostly because I don't have the car 24/7, I can't really go shopping on a whim, so that saves.

I don't have cable tv. I have an Amazon Fire stick. I hijack my dad's DirecTV password to watch stuff on AMC, STARZ, etc. He doesn't use it that way, so I figure it's not abusing his benefit.

I have Amazon Prime. Now it's $120/yr, but this year I learned that it's just $5.99/mo if you get food stamps, LOL Even at $120 it was worth it for me. Free shipping is a godsend in this small town where it's hard to get my Charmin Sensitive toilet paper at all. Plus Lyon's tea, and my cherry pills for my knees. Seventh Generation laundry detergent. Boo-hoo, I know. Plus I watch a lot of video, listen to music, and they often have free Kindle books.

I use my library a lot more than ever. Almost any book I want to buy I can borrow through inter library loan. 95% of the time, I don't want to buy the book. When I do, I often get it for $4 or so, shipped, from BetterWorldBooks.com

I have internet and landline phone for $85. It was $75, but after my first two years with them, they raised it a bit every month, and at $95 I finally called them and they informed me that it would be $120 in a couple of months. After a not-too-long conversation in which I innocently realized that I could just use my cell phone, and borrow my nice neighbor's internet, therefore not needing them AT ALL, I got it for $85, but there's no long distance. I really couldn't borrow my neighbor's internet, but the phone company did not know that LOL I only call my dad long distance, so I just let it ring once, and he calls me back. Otherwise it's .40 per minute! One time I called a friend, forgot to have him call me back, and I got a $30 bill for that. So THAT won't happen again, lol

I stopped going to different stores to get the best deals a long time ago. It just wore me out. The time involved, plus it can be hard for me to get around with a cane, made it usually not worth it. Walmart and Aldi do not have sales, but IGA has good meat sales. But I no longer chase down a sale price. My peanut butter is cheaper at Walmart, and I try to remember it when I'm there (like once a month), but I'll get it at IGA if I'm there and I need it. it's .70 more, but I love that store. They do a lot for the community.
ohjodi

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:28 pm

OhJodi,,frustration about the gas, but what a nice sister to leave her car for you. That is love .

I save about $35.00 a year by paying online for most of my bill including my peop tax.

I forgot to add that I save that because I'm not using stamps. Good Grief !!!

IC
Last edited by icfrugal1 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:07 pm

My local store is also an IGA

Prices can be higher but i'm not about to drive over ten miles to save a dollar or two.

I have found good prices on things like Simply Orange Juice at the dollar store next to it. Don't tell the COD. He thinks any food or drink item from there is suspect! :lol:

I save two dollars walking or hobbling 20 feet!

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:29 pm

Gas - Planning my errands on the day that I pick up groceries at Walmart after ordering on line. I do the errands then pick up my groceries last. You think you don't use that much by jumping into your vehicle every time you want something.

Cable- I'm listing two, but my ROKU's are the best investment I ever made.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:32 pm

Grocery list does it for me. I divide up the list between stores because one store does not carry everything. Fortunately, they are relatively close together and I know what the best deal is at each one.
Mackie

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:19 am

littlemiss63 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:29 pm
Gas - Planning my errands on the day that I pick up groceries at Walmart after ordering on line. I do the errands then pick up my groceries last. You think you don't use that much by jumping into your vehicle every time you want something.

Cable- I'm listing two, but my ROKU's are the best investment I ever made.
Edited: to add

My grocery bill is 10% lower than last year by ordering my groceries on line too. I order only what I need. I am an impulse buyer and this keeps the stuff out of my refrigerator that would tempt me to eat if it was there and if I don't bring it in I eat healthy. Sodas, cookies, chips, etc.