NON frugal things that you do :-)

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
littlemiss63

Re: NON frugal things that you do :-)

Post by littlemiss63 »

mona50 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:39 pm Using Instacart for grocery delivery . . . (embarrassed, blush, blush). It was awkward at first, allowing someone else to shop my groceries, but I LOVE it! There is a monthly fee and small delivery tip but I justify it by carefully shopping and there is no impulse buying (usually). They "up" the prices a tiny bit but I need a knee replacement and have had a difficult time shopping recently. Sometime, I order/pickup from Walmart but I like Instacart with Publix a lot more.
Hey Mona, I am not the least bit embarrassed for using the pick-up service at WalMart and if I couldn't drive I'd have it delivered too. I think it's the greatest thing that has happened in a long time for convenience. Like yesterday, I am always tired after a dialysis treatment, but I had felt so good over the week-end that I thought it might not effect me that way, but it did. However, I am not that far from my WalMart store and I went ahead and went. I had to leave some things in my car because I just didn't have the strength to bring them in. Brought in the frozen stuff, put it away, fixed me some dinner and went to bed.

When I am unable to drive anymore this will be a god-send for me and especially my daughter. She has a handicapped son that she and her husband care for 24/7 and this will take a big load off her. She want use it because she is afraid they will give her the older meat or produce and I haven't found that to be the case. If they are out of an item, they will substitute a like product and most of the time it's either larger in size or a name brand item. I have been more than pleased and wish I could give the kids bringing it to the car a tip. It's against
Walmart's policy and I have tried a couple of times and they smile and say they can't accept it. With camera's in the parking lot to see them, they would probably lose their jobs if they did take a tip.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I do tons of non frugal things - get pedicures ( so I can walk) have my hair colored, take the best care of our puppy we can, collect things, buy the best I can afford when I need durable goods (although I would argue this is usually more frugal than buying cheaper), have cable and housecleaners. Hubs golfs and I do needlework - not free hobbies.

Age and physicality have a large impact on how we use our money. We never paid for any services when we were younger. We roofed our garage (after straightening out the old nails we pulled out of the old roof, changed our own oil, made all of my curtains, bedspreads, dust ruffles, shower curtains, etc. When we had our victorian house, hubs was up on the roof 3 stories in the air tuck pointing and rebuilding our chimney. I used to shovel dig our garden because I was too cheap to pay someone $20 to rototill it. But I can't do what I could 40 years ago - heck I likely can't do what I used to 40 months ago. Circumstances change lifestyle - that is or sure.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

littlemiss63 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:46 pm It takes all kinds to to make up this world doesn't it? I was going to research, but you are on the ball you did it for me. Once I got to thinking about it, I couldn't remember listing my children on our income tax. In the late 80's they would have been on their own, so that is why.
yea - I don't think i had a social security number until i was 15 or 16. You did it at the post office or something like that. I had a real job then so needed a SSN. My sister and I got one at the same time.

That was in the late 70s
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

clemencia2us wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:15 pm yea - I don't think i had a social security number until i was 15 or 16. You did it at the post office or something like that. I had a real job then so needed a SSN. My sister and I got one at the same time.

That was in the late 70s
My brother and I got ours at the same time. We did a lot of things at the same time in spite of being a year apart. It was because we wanted (or Mom and Dad encouraged us) to open up bank savings accounts. My Aunt worked int he local Federal building and brought the forms. They were processed such that our SSN's are in Sequence. And when I was in college, they used your SSN as your student number. So when DB and I took 2 classes together and grades were posted on the wall, we could see each other's grades.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Let's see, Non-frugal

I am not a hard-core frugaler. I started looking at frugality in response to Ex's overspending and trying to figure out how to make my savings account grow.

I buy new cars and usually keep them 10+ years. My Prius was an exception as I handed it down to DS2 and got myself a new car after 7 years. But I tell him if he takes care of it it should last a long time. Then I went from the Prius to a Honda CRV. Not sorry, I really like the SUV.

I have committed to give DS2 $$ that is slightly under 50% of his yearly college expenses for 4 years. I am still contributing almost the max to my 401(k) and am not depriving myself of anything. I think that paying for my college was a great gift from my parents.

I am picky about where I live. I could pay less rent at another apartment community, but feeling safe was a deciding factor for me.

I pay god money for good supportive shoes because of my naturally flat feet that demand to be treated well.

I typically buy my clothing new rather than second-hand stores. I don't enjoy the hunt but instead shop sales online and in person at stores like Talbots, Land's End, Kohl's and Dillards. I am also teetering on plus size and that makes second-hand shopping difficult.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

colonialgirl wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:18 pm I do tons of non frugal things - get pedicures ( so I can walk) have my hair colored, take the best care of our puppy we can, collect things, buy the best I can afford when I need durable goods (although I would argue this is usually more frugal than buying cheaper), have cable and housecleaners. Hubs golfs and I do needlework - not free hobbies.

Age and physicality have a large impact on how we use our money. We never paid for any services when we were younger. We roofed our garage (after straightening out the old nails we pulled out of the old roof, changed our own oil, made all of my curtains, bedspreads, dust ruffles, shower curtains, etc. When we had our victorian house, hubs was up on the roof 3 stories in the air tuck pointing and rebuilding our chimney. I used to shovel dig our garden because I was too cheap to pay someone $20 to rototill it. But I can't do what I could 40 years ago - heck I likely can't do what I used to 40 months ago. Circumstances change lifestyle - that is or sure.
Slowly beginning to realize here that we can't do what we used to for any extended length of time.

The garden is getting smaller each year as both of us find it hard to get up and down to pick carrots, beets and such. However I can't see us totally moving away from gardening. Raised beds could do it for us, but the ones we see are crazily priced (by raised beds I don't mean those 12" above ground, rather those that are waist high at least).

Hubby has said this will be the last time he paints as it was not a good experience for his neck and getting up and down the ladders took a great deal of effort.

I don't buy much clothing second hand either, as the clothes are very much picked over before they even reach the racks, and I have heard tales of one of the second hand stores actually throwing out very nice expensive clothing.... I do buy books, and other small items there. I will make my clothing, or purchase new good quality, last for years types.

I believe we basically think alike on this subject CG. We were frugal in our younger years so that in our older years we can spend a bit more if necessary.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/