NON frugal things that you do :-)

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: NON frugal things that you do :-)

Post by Quilter51 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:28 am

I'm considering adding a house cleaner to the budget twice a month after the first of the year and we will pay for snow shoveling this year. And yes..God Bless instacart, clicklisr and Walmart grocery delivery if I do say so.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:39 am

Yes Jackie - it is true. For me aging has been an exercise in humility. When I was 25 and knew everything, I used to think what is wrong with people that don't (insert frugal activity of your choice here)? Why don't they change their own oil - why would you go to a restaurant on a holiday, etc, etc, etc. Well now I know the answer - because it is more work than you can do. We have gone out a couple of holidays and it was wonderful - no mess, no feeling ready to die from tiredness. Usually go back to someone's house for dessert and visiting and no one is dropping from exhaustion.

Oh to be young again.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:42 am

I guess there are and were a couple of nonfrugal things I did.

1. Bought several new cars over my lifetime, 8 I think, but my Toyota will be the last. I've had it since 2011 and there's only 35,000 miles on it. With my driving only about 2000 to 3000 miles a year now, it will last me until I need to give up my license. Maintenance on it is low, has been $400 a year and less, only once did it go over and that was because it was time for new tires.

2. My Triple Play Cable Package. When I first go it in the 80s, it was only $85 a month; today it's $225 a month. Have no one who can help me with the streaming business and I have no intention of giving up my Hallmark channels.

3. I kept a storage unit for many years. When it was increased in price to $1000 a year, I went to a smaller size. They came to me years later wanting to convert the building and charge me more for a larger . . . gave it up. For all the time I owned it all I did was take Christmas decorations out and put them back in. I could have bought new decorations every year for the rest of my life for what I spent on it.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:30 am

Quilter51 wrote: โ†‘
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:17 pm
I have cable...and prime...and Netflix. I quilt and knit with the good stuff. I eat out once a week and have drinks apps and deserts..and when I travel I want the hotel with the good mattress.
Precisely which hotels have the good mattresses? Inquiring minds want to know... in case I ever travel again.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:36 am

I buy expensive-ish wool roving to spin my own yarn. Dh doesn't know, but who cares, it makes me soooo happy to spin my own yarn. And if I have yet to knit anything from those handspun yarns, well it's my business. (Really its cheaper than his guns & reloading, and I knit plenty from my acrylic yarn stash.)๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ It's funny to me tonight.

Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:20 am

I travel. A lot. I go see my kids, I go watch my sonโ€™s wrestling tournaments, I go see DH as he works several states away and I go on a big trip every two years. When I go on a big trip, I do avoid spending a lot of money on touristy trinkets, but I do spend money on what I consider great experiences. I have always looked at frugality as a means to being able to afford what matters to me. I am super frugal in many areas and that allows me the money to enjoy what I love. I do not feel bad about it at all.