Sept 8, 2019 Daily Check-in

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Sept 8, 2019 Daily Check-in

Post by Jackielou »

Shelsmiles wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:40 am
Good morning. I love to pop back in here from time to time and see so many familiar “faces.”

Idk if you remember me, but if you do, hello. 😊

Quick update on my life, DH has spent quite a bit of time unemployed or underemployed over the last few years. I closed my business in WY because although we need the income, the cost was very high to my sanity. It’s put a strain on our finances to be certain, but it will get better. I now have both kids in college (ugh) but I am very proud of how well they are doing. I am running a small business here in KS and still have the farm. We are raising a small herd of cattle and have a few chickens, pigs, goats and ducks.

Today I will pick blackberries if any are ready and I will pick more apples from my little orchard. We lost the peach trees this year in the storms. I am sad about it as this was the year they would be producing. I did not plant a veggie garden this year as I was busy moving DD to college and we took a 16 day trip to Ireland and Scotland before she went. I knew I wouldn’t have time to tend it. My eating habits are suffering as a result I’m afraid. Of course, since I now spend the majority of my life at home alone, I cook less. I have gotten in the habit of making one big meal per week and then putting meal sized portions in the fridge. I save some of the meat to “repurpose” into something else later in the week and I’m eating a lot of eggs as it’s easy to cook for one. When DH is home we cook more and I stash a few things in the freezer.
Just popping in to say welcome back. Sure is wonderful when old friends come back. Hope to see many more posts from you in the future.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good afternoon fellow frugalites.

Resting up after going on two hikes. One this morning that was 4.4 km, and one this afternoon that was the same distance. I managed to get almost 14,000 steps in today, but there is no way I will be walking for two hours everyday once we get home.

Still cool here, but the sun is shining and it is quite nice out here on the deck.

Will talk to you all when we get home and unpacked, at some point tomorrow.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello friends,

I sat out on my couch for about 3 hours, then went back to bed and managed to doze off for an hour or so, or until my alarm went off.

Well the word is out about me at church, at least among my littles’ Primary teachers—dh got asked by LOTS of people at his post-church meetings about what is going on with me. I told dh I didn't care who knows, I really don't, but I’D like to be the one in charge of Who gets to know. However, he wasn't asked by the Other Set of Nosy folk, so I guess that Not Everyone knows yet.

We got about an hour of steady rain after church. Its all cleared off & sunny now; I wish we're still getting that steady rain, we need it so bad.

Dh has a sinus/ear infection and is so grumpy today, but I have been too. My neck hurts, probably that lack of sleep, as does my right mammary-gland area (more so than usual, enough that I’m wondering if I bumped that spot yesterday)... maybe that soreness is just part of breast cancer, pre-surgery.

Several of the ladies who Do know asked me How I was feeling after the women’s Relief Society meeting today. Every one wanted to know about my surgery, I’d like to know too.

I got into the Relief Society late as I was helping some ladies in the library; apparently the RS President is arranging a “make casseroles” activity night to freeze to have on hand for winter to give out as needed for Compassionate Service—made me think about doing some of my own to have on hand when kids are tired of Dh’s standby of bacon & baked beans, or hotdogs & baked beans, or hamburger and baked beans.😁

Rinty, I’d only wondered if your DGK’s were in Primary, and if yes, if they do an annual Primary program in September or October like the Utah Mormon wards do. I’m sad for you that your new ward isn't very welcoming—I’ve gone through rounds of dealing with snooty members in my ward, but now I feel like we fit here, or maybe it's just the 18 years in this same ward. Whatever the case may be, I pray for your family, and put your names on the prayer roll in our Temple here.

LM, I’m glad you seem to be doing well. I pray for you too.
Actually I pray for pretty everyone in the group.

My eyes keep closing, so I should try to nap. Maybe I’ll be able to stop thinking about Big Decisions needing to be made Soon. Or about tomorrow’s MRI.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

gaylejackson2 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:36 pm
I may have to do things in 10 minute increments soon too.
Gayle, believe it or not you really can get a lot accomplished if you follow through. It may not work that well with all you have to do, where Janet and I are living alone. I would sit my family down and have a good talk with them (hubby included) and say now is the time for each of you to step up. Make them a list of chores that they are responsible for and just tell them Mommy needs your help while I fight this. If your husband doesn't get on board to support you in this and go over and beyond on his part then he should be ashamed of himself.

I wonder if it's ever crossed his mind how much you really really do for your family. You are in my prayers and I just feel like you are going to be fine when this is all over.

snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

Im here too. I missed yall. My life got so bogged down I forgot to come check in. Im gonna try harder on that.

Rinty, yes my husband hasn't been able to work since April. Right now I am the only one working. We are barely making ends meet between my job and his disability check. So its been kinda tough on us, I have been going over our budget again and again to see where I can make cuts.

Gayle- I hope you get some rest soon, I love lavender camonille tea when I cant sleep

Maggie- I am glad you got to spend time with family. DH and I had a free date night with our inlaws. They hosted a mystery dinner and we came as guests. Free food, free company and we had a good time.

Floridacatlover- We love Hulu live, its just like cable. You can record stop, and everything. Lots of channels to pick from and the rest of hulu is included for shows that are older or not on right now.

Today I went to work. I took a weekend position a year ago at my work so I could work on my education. I bought groceries on my way home and cooked dinner for DH and I when I got home.
Now making a second pot of italian chicken in the instapot. If you guys dont have one, I love mine and highly recommend them. I make dinner in it and it doesn't use alot of heat so our house doesnt heat up too much. I am gonna hop off here and work on reading a chapter for class this week.

Have a good evening,
snowangel

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

gaylejackson2 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:36 pm
I may have to do things in 10 minute increments soon too.
I think you should take care of your needs and explain to the children their need to do more. I am not a parent but I do know people who have children that really did do more when they understood the circumstances. You do not want to scare them but you have been the strong one and now you need their help more. ((hug)).
Janet Alliesmama