Daily Check In September 11, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check In September 11, 2019

Post by clemencia2us »

Enjoy your tour Mrs Creative

I was lucky enough to be stationed in Sicily Italy for almost two years. So beautiful out there.

Went to Rome several times. The best was in the fall. Nice cool weather, not as crowded.

The food delicious. Everything spectacular.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Mrscreative wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:37 pm Actually Rinty I double checked and we do have a guided tour of Pompeii. You're right in that the excursions are extremely expensive! We didn't book any through our cruise ship but instead went with Expedia which our travel agent recommended. They guarantee to get you back to the ship on time. And most of the excursions we booked are for only half a day anyway. But I've listened to Rick Steves podcast anyway. I'm not sure if you've ever heard of him but he has a whole tv series on his travels to Europe and has written lots of guide books.

We're staying in Rome for 3 days so no need to book through the cruise ship. It is our ending destination of the cruise. I booked a guided tour of the Vatican, Sistine Chapel
and St. Peter's Cathedral. With Barcelona being our starting destination we did likewise. We are also staying in Barcelona for 3 days and I decided on a guided tour of Sagrada Familia and Casa Batllo (Gaudi).

Thanks for your good wishes - definitely experiencing pending excitement of our first cruise!
Take advantage of the wait for the Sistine Chapel and examine the artwork in the rooms leading up to it. There are statues, paintings, tapestries... I think my favorite was the Map room. It is a lot to take in, as is the Chapel itself. I purchased a print of the mural on the back wall of the Chapel so i can study it. (need to get it hung). But St. Peter's was my favorite. The Pieta, the side chapel dedicated to Pope St. JP 2, the pope's altar in the center, the rotunda... all magnificent had heard about all of the side chapels and imagined scores of them on each side, but really only about 4 or 5 are on each side.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Thanks for your suggestion Maggie! We are free to explore further on our own if we wish to.