Daily Check-in September 15, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily Check-in September 15, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:32 am

Good morning. Just to get us started.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check-in September 15, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:46 am

We had a lovely day yesterday. Today we return to the the intense heat.

I picked all of the pears off of my tree yesterday. They are huge. They weight between 10 and 11 oz each. They are not for eating fresh they are canning and cooking pears. Since pears do not ripen on the tree it will be a while before I have to prepare them for canning. I have six plastic grocery bags of pears. They are not to the top but about 1/2 full. Yesterday I ate one of my Jonathan apples with peanut butter. It had fallen off of the tree. It was crisp and juicy but still a little bit too tart so too soon to pick them. This one and several others had fallen off of the tree. Nothing like a fresh home grown apple.

I am in Betty Crocker mode. I have prepped to make tuna fish salad. I did everything yesterday but was too tired to mix it up yesterday. Also will be making a cheese, onion, and spinach quiche. I cooked some apples last night so I will be all set for meals for the next several days.

Keeping all of those in need in my thoughts and prayers.

Have a good and frugal day.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:04 am

Good morning Janet and all,

Another lovely day in Florida. No hurricanes. Today, I buy "on sale" groceries at Winn-dixie and use a $5 off coupon as well. Sweet and frugal. Publix has a great deal on tomatoes and I was able to recycle all my Styrofoam there as well. A win.

I have wanted to turn up the night time temperatures in the house, but I felt that I was already asking a lot of hubs at 83F. Well, I turned it up last night after he went to bed. I still needed a sheet, but I wasn't as cold. Since I work outside in the heat 95F+, I have adjusted to warmer temperatures. Of course, I turned it back down to 83F this morning for him.

I have recycled another 6 used up air freshener gels. They seem to have about 10 days of scent left in them. I put them in a recycled net bag over the little office fan and they do their work. It is a nice recycle.

Old dance partner has an appointment tomorrow to get a carotid artery check and a cat scan? He was surprised that the doctor didn't blow off his symptoms. Dizziness, headache on the right side every day. Now old dance partner is depressed. I imagined he looked up what his symptoms could mean. I am trying to be supportive.

Today, I am grateful that the hurricane is moving away from the Bahamas Thoughts and prayers for those in need.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:12 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

The day is once again sunny here and we are supposed to be getting temperatures in the mid to high 20 C today. Seems as if summer has come back for a little bit (tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer).

I plan on working and baking today. It is also list making day, and I am pretty sure that Hubby is going to need my help moving furniture and removing carpet. We just have a bit more to pull out. Now Hubby is talking about getting rid of the couch altogether so all is gone at one time. We do have folding chairs and a rocker we can bring up to use for seating for awhile. Keeping my fingers crossed that perhaps our furniture won't take as long to arrive as thought.

Last night I worked my knitting. I managed to get some more work done on the prayer shawl and all caught up on the temperature blanket. While doing so I made a few decisions on Hubby's Christmas gifts. He will still be getting a BBQ apron sewn for him, but along with that I will hopefully be able to replace the pj bottoms that were regulated to rags, and knit him a sweater vest. I just don't feel up to sewing a fleece vest (with zipper, another of my nemesis) at this point in time.

It is the church picnic today, more for the younger generation than us oldies, so we went to Mass last night. I am no longer entranced with the idea of sitting outside, bringing our own lawn chairs, and fighting off the mosquitos and wasps. Let the young families do that.

I did some extra cleaning yesterday. I have been promising myself to get into the sewing/craft room closet and get things sorted in there. That is exactly what I did. The closet still isn't perfect, but much better than before and slowly but surely my room is becoming what I had envisioned it being.

Today my extra cleaning will be to get downstairs into the library/office/extra bedroom and start getting that tidied up. The last bedroom will need to wait until we can move things back into the living room after the carpet goes down. I am thinking some point next week.

Frugally speaking this will be a stay at home day so no spending, bringing my total allowable spend to 7 and my no spending to 8. Finally pulling ahead a little bit.

I will be walking for exercise today. I plan to go in a different direction just to see some new and perhaps exciting sights. Getting a bit bored seeing the same thing over and over. This will be another day outside walking. While I do like the treadmill, I may as well take advantage of the nice weather while I can.

Meals will be made from scratch and leftovers will be saved for either lunches or another meal (probably have lots left from the roast beef).

I will work on my various projects and perhaps even get one close to completion.

Supper this evening is going to be roast beef, roasted potatoes, raw veggies and dip (need to use up some of the cucumber, peppers, and tomatoes that I harvested) and probably a bit of whatever I bake today for dessert.

Today I am grateful for the extension of summer weather.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:48 am

Good morning Jackie and all.

I’m having a lazy weekend and plan to continue that today.

I really enjoyed rewatching La La Land last night. Not quite as good as watching the dance numbers on the big screen but still really good and I love the music.

Today I’ll finish the mystery I’m reading by Louise Penny. I’m usually much more of a nonfiction reader but this book has really struck me and is an easy read even for a slow reader like me. The name is Still Life.

I’ll try to set up my new Roku stick today and move the old one to my upstairs TV even though I rarely watch it. I’m still undecided on whether I need Hulu Live. I’d like to see DWTS tomorrow evening (mostly for Christie Brinkley) and I may try to put the antenna I have on a small TV at mom’s house on my downstairs TV at my house. I’ll do that tomorrow. I’ve tried the antenna at mom’s house and cannot get most channels but can get ABC.

I made a reservation on Cape Cod. It is walking distance to the Martha’s Vinyard ferry. I’ve been to Nantucket several times but never Martha’s Vinyard. I may go there for a day if the weather cooperates. Hotel is also walking distance to the house relatives built and where mom and I visited 10-12 years ago. They are all gone now but the family still owns the house so I’ll walk by and possibly knock on the door.

Jackie and Creative, one of your Canadian figure skaters, Keegan Messing, made Canada proud at the competition I watched yesterday. He won Bronze and as the national anthem of Japan started playing for the Gold medalist, Keegan reached over and unfurled the Japanese flag and held it so the winner could honor his flag during the anthem. (Mostly the flags come down from the ceiling in front of the skaters but yesterday they had the flags behind the skaters for some reason.) Keegan Messing was born in the U.S. but skates for Canada so I guess we should be proud, too.

Have a good day.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:00 am

floridacatlover wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:48 am
Good morning Jackie and all.

I’m having a lazy weekend and plan to continue that today.

I really enjoyed rewatching La La Land last night. Not quite as good as watching the dance numbers on the big screen but still really good and I love the music.

Today I’ll finish the mystery I’m reading by Louise Penny. I’m usually much more of a nonfiction reader but this book has really struck me and is an easy read even for a slow reader like me. The name is Still Life.

I’ll try to set up my new Roku stick today and move the old one to my upstairs TV even though I rarely watch it. I’m still undecided on whether I need Hulu Live. I’d like to see DWTS tomorrow evening (mostly for Christie Brinkley) and I may try to put the antenna I have on a small TV at mom’s house on my downstairs TV at my house. I’ll do that tomorrow. I’ve tried the antenna at mom’s house and cannot get most channels but can get ABC.

I made a reservation on Cape Cod. It is walking distance to the Martha’s Vinyard ferry. I’ve been to Nantucket several times but never Martha’s Vinyard. I may go there for a day if the weather cooperates. Hotel is also walking distance to the house relatives built and where mom and I visited 10-12 years ago. They are all gone now but the family still owns the house so I’ll walk by and possibly knock on the door.

Jackie and Creative, one of your Canadian figure skaters, Keegan Messing, made Canada proud at the competition I watched yesterday. He won Bronze and as the national anthem of Japan started playing for the Gold medalist, Keegan reached over and unfurled the Japanese flag and held it so the winner could honor his flag during the anthem. (Mostly the flags come down from the ceiling in front of the skaters but yesterday they had the flags behind the skaters for some reason.) Keegan Messing was born in the U.S. but skates for Canada so I guess we should be proud, too.

Have a good day.
Florida Cat I have always wanted to visit Cape Cod and Nantucket.. You are lucky to have family near there that you can visit.. Enjoy.
Janet Alliesmama