Daily Check-in September 19, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily Check-in September 19, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. Another sleepless night. I have taken medication and still bright eyed and bushy tailed. One nice thing is that the people on the other side of the big pond are awake.. Just had a short conversation with a friend in Wales. She is on a bus on her way to her first day at her new job.. I love how the internet has allowed me to stay in touch with people all over the world. I have a friend in India and there is Katie Owl and her family in Wales. Friends with her Mum and one of her DD's. That is how I met this young lady. Some year, and I hope before I get too old, I want to go to visit them.. However will have to wait and see what Brexit is like and then saving up the money is going to be interesting. I have been to England three times and to Wales twice but did not know Rinty or Katie Owl then. It would have been wonderful to have met them. Hopefully I will some day.

Have a good day everyone.
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check-in September 19, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning Janet and all,

Another lovely Florida morning. We got some much needed rain overnight and the morning is cool and fresh. Birds are happy.

Today, I visit the doctor for my annual checkup. I get a gift card from my insurance company for doing it. I also will visit my shoe store and order 2 pairs of shoes and use a 10% off coupon. So a frugal day ahead.

Today, I expect to cook up a section of on sale turkey breast in the slow cooker out on the porch. First turkey of the season. Yum.

I also need to talk to the auto insurance agent. What he told me and what the renewal paperwork from the company said do not seem to match.

Today, I am grateful that I am retired and can enjoy the beautiful world around me. Thoughts and prayer for those facing difficult times.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good morning friends,

At the office today. (Whoop-whoop!) People's behavior on Facebook is driving me nuts. If I weren't looking to expanding my social activities, I might give it up. A sweet second-grade teacher I know well posted about dress-up day. She dressed as Snow White and she and her Mom made hats for all the kids to be dwarfs. Great! But she had to start the post out saying ?My Mom is better than your Mom" Why couldn't it be "My Mom is the greatest"? I also hate what I call the "bullying posts" Post this if you.... Those get under my skin. Ok off my soapbox.

I have an appointment(!) at the YMCA (!) tonight. It is for an orientation of the fitness room. I've got to get out of my home more.

Have a great day,
Maggie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

Janet, I’m sorry that you were not able to go back to sleep. I was able to sleep after I got up and ate a cup of yoghurt.

Today I’m going to lunch with the wife of the neighbor next door to mom. This is the wife of the guy who cuts the front yard so I’ll treat. We’ve been trying to connect for several weeks but she has health issues and has been going through a bad time off and on. I’m looking forward to our lunch.

Later this afternoon I have the guy coming to clean out my dryer vent. It may not need it but is worth it to me for peace of mind. I haven’t had it cleaned for several years. Once or twice my dryer did not seem to be drying as well but on my last load it seemed fine. They say clogged dryer vents can cause fires.

I’m not sure when I’m going to be able to cut mom’s back yard now that the a/c guy will likely be there tomorrow (if they get the part in). I may do it this evening or maybe wait until tomorrow evening. The grass still does not look bad.

Have a good day.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Slept well

I've already been outside twice with the dogs. Today is my day "off".

I still might give one pup a bath.

Think i am going back to bed and read on my ipad.

Try to relax. I start thinking about things and get all worked up! Things that people say and do around here in real life.

wah

have a good day
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I slept in this morning due to going to bed a bit later than usual. It seems like I had better stick to my regular bedtimes whenever possible. Now with this being such a busy afternoon and evening I already feel like I am behind. Missed my walk yesterday and so did not really reach my goal walking either. So it will be out today, even if I am late getting it accomplished.

As I did the shopping yesterday, today will be no spend. I think I should perhaps clarify why I do no spend days. Back in the days before I met all of you I used retail therapy a great deal. I could be in and out of our various stores many times in a week. Once I found all of you, I tried to curtail my spending. Part of the plan was to stay away from the stores. Thus birthed the idea of no spend days. The budget does not get hit (we also have a budget that needs to be stuck to now we are on fixed income), and the money leftover in the budget gets put toward things such as trips, new furniture and new flooring. I rather enjoy seeing how much below budget lines I am. Sometimes it is by a great deal, other times by just a tad, then there are those times I kind of overspend (still happens, but less and less each year).

When I was shopping yesterday I took a walk down the clearance aisles at one of the stores. What to my wondering eye should appear by a very nice spring/fall waterproof jacket. Hmmm, what to do as I have been looking to replace my old one. I tried it on and as it fit I looked at the price. Wow, a $50.00 jacket for $5.00. That went in the cart!! Hubby was quite impressed with the savings.

Frugal happenings today will be the usual. I will be using the vehicle for two different trips today, but once I see where I am really needed to lead, perhaps just one trip the next 5 Thursdays (I really wanted afternoons, but from the sounds of it so does everyone else). I will be heading out for my walk very soon, first I need to feed Shania, and clean the kitty litter.

Supper tonight is supposed to be stew. Something I can leave cooking slowly on the stove this afternoon. I will be able to use up some veggies as well. The crisper seems to be multiplying things like carrots, celery and onions.

Today I am grateful for neighbours who are friendly and watch out for each other.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/