Daily check in September 21, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily check in September 21, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:16 am

Good morning everyone. It is still dark out. I have the windows open and can hear the sounds of the night ie crickets chirping. There is a chance of storms this morning. Not sure if this is part of tropical storm Imelda. We are expecting severe weather tomorrow with heavy rain and high winds which I do believe is part of Imelda. We do need the rain.

Not much going on here. I am trying to cook more food ahead but ran out of energy yesterday. I have things set out to make gluten free flour to make bread. Yesterday I just ate a lot of leftovers but do think today I need to start to cook something. Took inventory of what I have and except for buying a rotisserie chicken on Monday and a few fresh produce and dairy things I am going to try to coast through with what I have on hand until October 1st.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in September 21, 2019

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:35 am

Good morning Janet and all,

A lovely, cool morning in Florida. Feels like fall. I have already set the dry black beans to soak for tonight's slow cooker meal of beans and turkey breast. I didn't make the turkey breast yesterday as planned because I was not home in time to get it in the cooker in time. It took 3 hours to finish the paperwork and sign the contract for the new handicapped accessible kitchen.Then I had to go buy a new over the stove fan to replace the old one in bad condition. I was able to pay for all of it using my credit card which will give me a lot of points. Yesterday, I got my gift cards from the previously accumulated points in the mail. That will help pay for the new appliances including an ADA specialized sink.

I also got several pairs of shoes that my knee seems to like. I used a discount code and got each of them for $35, a big savings. I was also able to give my neighbor several of the many free calendars that I get each year from charities. She had not bought one yet for next year.

I continue to follow a FB group called fly babies that use the Fly Lady techniques for re-cluttering, organizing and cleaning the house. It works for me. Also the yard is greatly improved now that I can at least move around without much knee pain.

Today, I am grateful for the nice weather. It is wonderful to open the windows and hear the many birds singing their morning songs. Thought and prayers to all those suffering and in pain.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:40 am

Good morning Janet and all.

Up early for me. This morning a neighbor is having a “ladies brunch” for some of the ladies in the neighborhood. This is the woman whose husband recently died so I want to support her. Had a long talk with her at the mailbox about a week ago and she is doing OK but of course misses her DH. They were married 57 years.

I asked if I could bring something and she said no. But I will try to get a potted plant or bunch of flowers before I go. Brunch starts at 10 a.m. I should have picked up the flowers/plant yesterday but didn’t.

Today is also free museum day. I had decided not to go because parking at the museum I wanted to see is at least $10. No parking lot of their own. So I had planned to go to genealogy club but will have to miss it (starts at 11 a.m. and is 1/2 hour away). It is a good speaker and topic but I’ll be able to get the presentation notes from the website if I can remember my password.

So a busy morning but relaxing rest of the day.

Have a good day.

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:59 am

Good morning all ...
It's cloudy here, looks like it wants to rain, but nothing is predicted.

Some progress on the projects. Trying to match fixture colors is a pain. (Bone? Biscuit? Almond?) I took pictures, but lighting tends to skew colors. DH is threatening to take the toilet tank's top to the store to check the color ...which isn't a bad idea, LOL!

Did get back to the Christmas tree skirt. Now 2/3 done with the piecework!

Today, chores. Laundry is starting to pile up again, among other things .... Also need to plan meals for next week. Likely won't be a non-spend day ... Hanes has a sale plus free shipping. Need new shorts, and I can pick up a Christmas present ...

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:10 am

LWolfT wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:59 am
Good morning all ...
It's cloudy here, looks like it wants to rain, but nothing is predicted.

Some progress on the projects. Trying to match fixture colors is a pain. (Bone? Biscuit? Almond?) I took pictures, but lighting tends to skew colors. DH is threatening to take the toilet tank's top to the store to check the color ...which isn't a bad idea, LOL!

Did get back to the Christmas tree skirt. Now 2/3 done with the piecework!

Today, chores. Laundry is starting to pile up again, among other things .... Also need to plan meals for next week. Likely won't be a non-spend day ... Hanes has a sale plus free shipping. Need new shorts, and I can pick up a Christmas present ...
Take the plastic cap that covers the bolts on the base of the toilet. That has worked for me.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:36 am

Good morning fellow frugalites

The weather has been very strange lately. Every night we seem to get a down pour with lots of thunder and lightening. One in the morning and a rather large clap of thunder and the sound of pouring rain woke me up. That's quite alright as I was having the strangest of prewake up dreams.

I don't know if I will go for as long a walk as usual this morning. I am kind of achy, but the walking seems to help with that. Sleeping in does not help at all though, seems to make me feel as if I am already behind before I even started.

I have started sewing together the squares for the denim quilt. Really since I plan on using it outside it won't have batting so perhaps it can't be called a quilt. I did think that my making these two quilts would use up a great many of those 4" squares, but this is proving to be a difficult task. I really let them get away from me.

Last evening a friend brought over a boxful of Roma tomatoes. I had mentioned that I had never grown them when we were talking about making tomato soup. She sent her husband over with these, and I will try them out. Got to love friends from Guiding.

Frugally speaking the same old, same old will be happening here. I will also be working on the bible study prayer questions for today.

Supper today just could be leftovers from the last two days. I need to check out the fridge. If that is not the case it will be pork chops, mashed potatoes, veggies and dip. Plus whatever I can throw together for a dessert for the upcoming days.

Today I am grateful for the shawl wrapped around my shoulders.

Talk to you all again later.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.