Daily Check-in, Sept. 30 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Daily Check-in, Sept. 30 2019

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning! Just getting us started.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check-in, Sept. 30 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It will be a use the treadmill walk this morning. It is much too cold and wet to venture out onto the roadways. Oh, well, may as well get used to it as winter will be here soon enough and I won't be walking outside.

Needless to say there is rain forecast for the next few days. I feel for the farmers in this area as many were still harvesting when the monsoon type weather hit. This is not doing crops standing in the fields any good at all.

This will be a usual Monday here on the old homestead. I will be as frugal as possible, and perhaps even get a bit more baking done. The lemon cake that I made yesterday is awesome. So awesome in fact that perhaps a lemon poppyseed loaf for the freezer could be a great idea (can you guess I have some lemons to use up) or perhaps some lemon cookies to fill the cookie jar.

Dang pushed the wrong buttons and my post published before I wanted it to.

Frugally speaking laundry will be done in the most frugal way possible on this dreary day. Meals will be made at home in order to use things up. and still leave some leftovers to be eaten at another meal. I am really trying to cook once and eat twice.

My Monday cleaning list will use up a couple more cleaning agents so now I can finally try to make my own (even have the spray bottles handy this time around).

I will look through my recipes and see if there is any other item I can make for winter storage with the cucumbers (really large so I am thinking some kind of cucumber relish). While the garden did not produce as early as it did other years, we could actually have gotten almost as much produce in the way of beans and cucumbers, not so much in the green peppers, strawberries, rhubarb or tomato areas.

Hubby is using bits and bobs of his lumber downstairs and that hidden away from the rain to build me a potato bin (a proper one this time) in the basement. He may even make me a smaller onion bin at some point (if there is enough leftover lumber).

The rest of the day will be used to work on projects. I did get the denim strips pinned together in groups of two and hopefully will be sewing at some point today.

I also finished three of the embroidered tea towels over the past little while. The fourth is started but won't be finished by the end of the month (which is today). This means a carry over of goals for October from the last couple of months. Really I think I just might have too many projects on the go, or there just isn't enough time in a day for me to do all I want to do.

Supper today will be homemade pizza, along with a salad.

Today I am grateful that I am home and as snug as a bug in a rug.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning friends,

So today is that ominous day of the year where my Irish twin in the same age as I am for the next 6 days. LOL. I already wis0000hed DB a happy birthday.

We are still in a Fall heat wave here. 90's for highs until Thursday. Ugh.

That feels like all I have for now.

Have a good day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Another lovely, but very dry day in Florida. No hurricanes on the horizon always makes it a good day. All my plants are watered, dishes done and I will soon be off to get the dreaded, but necessary eye injection. Old dance partner contacted me yesterday afternoon and said he felt really bad. He didn't know if it was his heart or his recent heart medication. We discussed whether he should go to the emergency room or not. I also got 2 more trees planted yesterday. So I feel good about doing for the betterment of the environment. I have several more to plant when I get back from my trip.

Normal frugal activities around the house. Recycling, reusing and conserving. The new pathway is done and the new garden area is ready for planting. I have the irrigation lines, but will put them in when I am back from the trip. I plan to meet with the kitchen planner this week. I think I have an idea how to convert the little bathroom to ADA compliance. See what she thinks.

Military son has completed all his yearly tests. Passed all of them. Everything is well with my married with children son. And the oldest is doing fine. Life is good.

Today, I am grateful that I have enough. Good and frugal day all.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

Jackie, it is amazing that you are having such cold/raw weather and it is still so hot here, 92 or 93 today.

I FINALLY got my flowers planted yesterday. Went to Lowes for potting soil and it was HEAVY. I must be getting weak in my old age. A customer put it in the cart for me, store employee put it in my car and neighbor came out of his house at just the right time to get it out of my car trunk. (Pretty sure I could get it out of the trunk but I still was happy to see the neighbor.) I put some of the leftover bag in my potting soil container (old litter pail with lid) but will keep the rest of the bag in mom’s garage.

Neighbors came over last night to get my trip itinerary/contact info and I think Pippi knows something is up. But she did show her face to them and I think they’ll see her more this trip. (Neighbor’s boyfriend forgets her name and calls her Pepperoni. Cute.)

I read a story this morning about the Forever 21 bankruptcy filing. Part of the problem is fewer people going to malls but another issue is that young people are more interested in buying used clothes. Nice. Not all of my clothes are used but as you all know I love my rummage sales and many of my favorite items (clothing and household) are from the sales. My mom used to call it “our favorite department store.” Love that Diane in Denmark encourages clothes swap parties instead of buying new. Of course the short-term downside is a lot of Forever 21 employees will lose their jobs.

Off to the bank today and then to mom’s house to see if the lawn needs cutting. I’ll turn off the water at her house also.

Kitty, I watched Sunday Morning and loved the Smithsonian guy. Made me want to revisit D.C.

Have a good day.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I woke up only once during the night last night. And slept until almost 7 am.

I had letter to mail to housing so I walked the letter up to the office. We are not supposed to use the drop boxes by the mail rooms. Because a few months ago someone tried to break into one.

I need to finish the dishes in the kitchen sink. I didn’t wash any dishes yesterday so I wiped all of them with Clorox Clean up. I will finish washing in a few minutes.

We have a 40% chance of rain today.

Not much else is new here. I am glad I need a less tiring week than last week. My only appointment this week is Thursday morning to have my stitches out. Hopefully then I will get the report on the biopsies.

Penny