Daily Check-in October 9, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily Check-in October 9, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:00 am

Another sleepless night.. It is going to be a nice day but right now a bit chilly in the 50's.
Jackie looks like you have another mole to bop.. What is the purpose of writing in a foreign language? Silly people.

I need to go out and do a few more things today that I did not get done yesterday. Teddi will need dog food by Friday and I want to go by GoodWill and pick up a few more baby T-shirts for him. That way I will not have to wash his as often. When the weather starts to get rainy he has to be dried off and a clean shirt put on. Also need to go out and pick up sticks in the yard. I did some yesterday but ran out of energy. I have not been keeping up with a lot of the messages.

Have I missed Little Miss or has she not been posting?

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check-in October 9, 2019

Post by Dgflorida » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:06 am

Good morning Janet and all,

Today is a lovely, grey morning in Florida. The reason a grey day is lovely is that we need the rain. We had an inch or so yesterday, but another day of it would be fine. The weekend is supposed to be clear and cool.

Today, I will continue to put down recycled cardboard on the flower beds to restrict weed growth. I am currently working on my butterfly nectar bed. My butterfly host plants spawn more butterflies than I have nectar for. And not many here grow as many flowers as I do. I have ground cover and several tomato and pepper plants to plant. So a busy day in the yard between hoped for rain showers.

Normal frugal activities around the house. Recycling coffee filters to clean greasy skillets, coffee grounds to the garden, saving dish and hand washing water for the flower bed, collecting water in the rain barrels, reducing waste, recycling and up cycling when possible. Being frugal is so satisfying.

Today, I have a turkey breast to cook along with soaked dry beans in the slow cooker on the porch. Still hot in Florida, so cooking outside means ac savings.

Today, I am grateful for wonderful well water. It is easy to drink enough water when it tastes so good. My thoughts and prayers are with those who are suffering today. Have a good day all.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:53 am

alliesmama4 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:00 am
Another sleepless night.. It is going to be a nice day but right now a bit chilly in the 50's.
Jackie looks like you have another mole to bop.. What is the purpose of writing in a foreign language? Silly people.

I need to go out and do a few more things today that I did not get done yesterday. Teddi will need dog food by Friday and I want to go by GoodWill and pick up a few more baby T-shirts for him. That way I will not have to wash his as often. When the weather starts to get rainy he has to be dried off and a clean shirt put on. Also need to go out and pick up sticks in the yard. I did some yesterday but ran out of energy. I have not been keeping up with a lot of the messages.

Have I missed Little Miss or has she not been posting?

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Sent on their way.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:22 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

(Just lost a post and this time I did not touch something I shouldn't have)

No white stuff on the ground as of yet and I am afraid to look at the forecast in case they are moving the bad weather to closer to the holiday weekend for us Canadians. I did notice the furnace cutting in a bit more and checked the thermometer and we are below the freezing point. Brrr.

If the weather pundits have changed the forecast and made it miserable for our DS's to come home for the holiday weekend I will be a bit peeved. I worry about the one driving late at night, I don't want to worry about rotten roads this early in the season.

I am thinking of changing my errand day to Wednesday until the end of the Bible Study. It is just two sessions each Thursday makes it very hard to get everything done. I only have three more Thursdays (including today) so it will only be a few weeks of change.

The yard is pretty much cleaned up (we did so yesterday), there are just a few things left that I need to pull out of the perennial bed and cut down. I am hoping for a return to nicer weather. If not I will get out and do the dirty on the weekend.

Frugally speaking the same old, same old will be happening here.

I did finish the embroidered tea towels yesterday and so by the end of the week (if I get a load to put in the washer) they will be photographed, ironed and in use. The old ratty or too small ones will be out of the drawer and in the rag bag.

I did not get the scrappy quilt sandwiched so that will be worked on this afternoon along with the hopefully piecing together of the fleece for the back of the denim quilt. I really would like both quilts completed by the end of the week, but pretty sure that is not going to happen.

Still finding room for all the boxes and such of books and things from the living room. I am slowly but surely getting things out so youngest DS can find a place to sleep.

I just need a pound or so of tomatoes to ripen so I can make a half recipe of condensed tomato soup. I need to weigh them at some point today, and perhaps tomorrow morning will get that done and in the freezer. I think there may be a few tomatoes in the other box that are ready to freeze as well.

Supper tonight will be using up the remainder of the spaghetti and meat sauce. I plan on making baked spaghetti, and there will be enough left for another meal tomorrow (not that I like eating the same thing two days in a row, but I can just put it in the oven when I get back from the first session of Bible Study and have eaten, cleaned up and headed back in time for the leading of the evening session.

Today I am grateful for the holding off of the nasty weather, even if it is just for a few hours.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:31 am

My forehead looks good. The scab is very tiny I don’t want to accidentally knock it off. So I put more Neosporin on and a fresh bandage. I found myself scratching the area last night so I can’t go without a bandage.

The 2 mm crochet hook needle combo I ordered from Amazon arrived bent. They shipped it in a bag with a bottle of medication. Packed in a carton or with the package taped to a piece of cardboard such as the back of a pad type. I am returning it. My friend across the hall will take me to the UPS store so I can drop it off. I ordered another one from a yarn company, it was less expensive and no shipping cost. I should get it in about a week or so.

Last night I knit another gnome. I am not sure why I love knitting Gnomes more than anything else but I do. I am sure it is because I love gnomes.

Penny

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:02 am

Good morning, frugal ones. I am taking a coffee break at work and catching up on the news. It has been a quiet week at work, thank goodness.

DS and I went to get our flu shots Sunday at the Wal-Mart pharmacy. I discovered that my insurance, which is through DH's employer, had reduced dependent benefits and would not pay for the shot given outside a doctor's office. My doctor had already told me that his office had none, as so much of the vaccine went to the pharmacies for walk-in shots. I wound up having to pay $39 for my shot. DS's Affordable Care Act marketplace insurance paid in full for his. He was pretty stoked about that! :-D

Having recently been diagnosed with low iron, a side effect of the medication I take for intracerebral hypertension, we had a Sunday dinner with lamb chops, steamed spinach, a baked potato and apple compote made from the last four slightly withered apples. It was delicious. Oddly enough, lamb was the least expensive red meat at the grocery store, so we had a luxury dinner for a few dollars.

Last week, I enjoyed several meals that featured free tuna from the StarKist settlement. Free tastes delicious too. :)
Mackie