Daily Check-In October 10/19

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

Re: Daily Check-In October 10/19

Post by Mrscreative »

jckitty wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 am Good late morning all,

New fan/light combo installed and working fine, house cleaned afterwards and above stairs fixture also installed. I feel like I am bleeding cash this month but it had to be done.

Creative, glad you had a great trip...what is this Neo ? stuff you speak of?

Thanks all for the thoughts of my deceased friend. I am still processing it.

I cannot stay away from the news coming out of the WH....he is unhinged, and making this country look so bad and uncaring...I just want to scream he does NOT speak for me.

I think steak for supper tonight, I don't want them to linger in the freezer, bought them before dad passed.
It is cool but sunny, slowly getting yard ornaments put away, next up is store the outdoor furniture.

Off to get busy again.
JCKity
I'm sorry Kitty, I'm not quite sue what you mean. The protest group in the UK was called Rebellion Extinction. They wanted to make everyone aware of the effects of global warming by causing significant inconvenience to the average citizen. While I agree with the cause, I certainly don't agree with all their tactics. Being stranded on the bus and having to walk home (or figure out how to use the tube)was no joke! Some of the passengers on the HopOn HopOff bus became very testy but it wasn't the driver's fault. He couldn't let anyone off in the middle of the street. Just too dangerous! With bikes and motor bikes weaving between the stopped vehicles every which way! All traffic basically came to a hault.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Hi Everyone,

I am enjoying a beautiful fall day in Tennessee. I have tried posting a couple of times and my post just disappeared into cyberspace somewhere. I give advice all the time about writing it on a notepad, then copying it into the forum form, but I didn't follow my own advice. I sure don't have the time to rewrite them anymore.

My schedule has had to undergo a drastic remake. My dialysis time has been moved to 10:30 in the morning so that messes my mornings and afternoons up on Monday, Wednesday & Friday. I am not going to give up my sleeping in routine so I don't get up until 8:00, so by the time I bathe & get dressed it's time to leave the house. After dialysis I'm to tired to do anything, so I come home, eat myself something and am in bed for the rest of the evening. I do feel wonderful the next day so I will take that.

I treasure my stay-at-home days now so much. I have made a pot of soup. I made it from bits & pieces of leftover meat & vegetables. All I do is add some spices, a couple can of diced tomatoes, a diced onion, diced celery, beef broth and a cube of low salt beef bouillon. Based on the vegetable, I never know what kind of taste I will get, but it's always delicious. I keep a little plastic container in my freezer and add any leftovers, that aren't enough for another meal, until there is enough to make a big pot of soup. My Mother use to call it refrigerator soup, but doesn't matter the name you attach. I call it my Leftover Soup.

Have my sheets that I love in the dryer, usually change my bed on Wednesday, but didn't get up in time yesterday morning. I don't like to leave the house with the washer or dryer going. These sheets are made of Tensel fibers and they are similar to the ones that Holiday Inn Express has in their hotels. They are wonderful. I have got to start rotating them with the Egyptian Cotton ones, if not I will wear these out before I know it.

My church group is on their way to Hilton Head this week-end. Makes me sad that I want be going this year, but I'm to new at the Dialysis thing to try and do it while there, maybe next year and Mr. B will go with me.

He will be coming up here the first week of December and we plan on going to Opryland Hotel to see it all lit up and probably have dinner there one night. Their emporium is always decorated beautifully for Christmas and worth the trip to just walk the entire thing.

Well, I am off to do a few more chores before I watch my nightly episode of Heartland. Love that show. Hope all of you have a good evening. Gayle, so good to know that you are healing and Creative glad you had a great trip, but now at home. Floridcat, sounds like you had a great trip. So glad the leaves turned before you left. DG, sure hate you had to cancel your trip, but glad your dance partner is addressing his health problems. You never know until you have them how grateful we should be for good health. Clem, sounds like you are learning to say NO and taking a little more time for yourself.

Janet, did I really read that you have never cooked a roast? If so girl you have missed one of the finer things in life. You can't mess one up in a Dutch Oven. I make little cuts in mine with a paring knife and insert a clove of
garlic. If you like garlic you can insert at least 1/2 of a large clove into the slits, rub salt and pepper to your liking into your roast. Once that is done, place it in a skillet with just a tiny bit of oil and sear on both sides. Place in a Dutch Oven or Crockpot, covering with beef broth and a small onion, diced. Usually in the crock pot I will do 8 hours on low. In the Dutch Oven, 250º oven for about 3 hours. Stick a fork in it to test for tenderness every hour. Some people don't like theirs falling all to pieces, but I do. If you don't want it quite as done then don't cook it as long. If I plan to slice it, I don't let it cook to the point of falling to pieces, if I will be adding potatoes and carrots I do. I precook my potatoes and carrots because I don't want them to be mushy, and I will add them the last 30 minutes just so they can pick up the beefy flavor.

Everyone have a great evening.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:32 pm Hi Everyone,

I am enjoying a beautiful fall day in Tennessee. I have tried posting a couple of times and my post just disappeared into cyberspace somewhere. I give advice all the time about writing it on a notepad, then copying it into the forum form, but I didn't follow my own advice. I sure don't have the time to rewrite them anymore.

My schedule has had to undergo a drastic remake. My dialysis time has been moved to 10:30 in the morning so that messes my mornings and afternoons up on Monday, Wednesday & Friday. I am not going to give up my sleeping in routine so I don't get up until 8:00, so by the time I bathe & get dressed it's time to leave the house. After dialysis I'm to tired to do anything, so I come home, eat myself something and am in bed for the rest of the evening. I do feel wonderful the next day so I will take that.

I treasure my stay-at-home days now so much. I have made a pot of soup. I made it from bits & pieces of leftover meat & vegetables. All I do is add some spices, a couple can of diced tomatoes, a diced onion, diced celery, beef broth and a cube of low salt beef bouillon. Based on the vegetable, I never know what kind of taste I will get, but it's always delicious. I keep a little plastic container in my freezer and add any leftovers, that aren't enough for another meal, until there is enough to make a big pot of soup. My Mother use to call it refrigerator soup, but doesn't matter the name you attach. I call it my Leftover Soup.

Have my sheets that I love in the dryer, usually change my bed on Wednesday, but didn't get up in time yesterday morning. I don't like to leave the house with the washer or dryer going. These sheets are made of Tensel fibers and they are similar to the ones that Holiday Inn Express has in their hotels. They are wonderful. I have got to start rotating them with the Egyptian Cotton ones, if not I will wear these out before I know it.

My church group is on their way to Hilton Head this week-end. Makes me sad that I want be going this year, but I'm to new at the Dialysis thing to try and do it while there, maybe next year and Mr. B will go with me.

He will be coming up here the first week of December and we plan on going to Opryland Hotel to see it all lit up and probably have dinner there one night. Their emporium is always decorated beautifully for Christmas and worth the trip to just walk the entire thing.

Well, I am off to do a few more chores before I watch my nightly episode of Heartland. Love that show. Hope all of you have a good evening. Gayle, so good to know that you are healing and Creative glad you had a great trip, but now at home. Floridcat, sounds like you had a great trip. So glad the leaves turned before you left. DG, sure hate you had to cancel your trip, but glad your dance partner is addressing his health problems. You never know until you have them how grateful we should be for good health. Clem, sounds like you are learning to say NO and taking a little more time for yourself.

Janet, did I really read that you have never cooked a roast? If so girl you have missed one of the finer things in life. You can't mess one up in a Dutch Oven. I make little cuts in mine with a paring knife and insert a clove of
garlic. If you like garlic you can insert at least 1/2 of a large clove into the slits, rub salt and pepper to your liking into your roast. Once that is done, place it in a skillet with just a tiny bit of oil and sear on both sides. Place in a Dutch Oven or Crockpot, covering with beef broth and a small onion, diced. Usually in the crock pot I will do 8 hours on low. In the Dutch Oven, 250º oven for about 3 hours. Stick a fork in it to test for tenderness every hour. Some people don't like theirs falling all to pieces, but I do. If you don't want it quite as done then don't cook it as long. If I plan to slice it, I don't let it cook to the point of falling to pieces, if I will be adding potatoes and carrots I do. I precook my potatoes and carrots because I don't want them to be mushy, and I will add them the last 30 minutes just so they can pick up the beefy flavor.

Everyone have a great evening.

Libby so good to hear from you. I was getting worried since I had not seen a post from you.

Regarding roasts. Thank you for taking the time to tell me how to make a roast. That was so sweet of you. However I grew up on a farm and we had a beef roast or pork roast or a baked or fried chicken just about every Sunday. Alternate that with ham or turkey we grew them all. I hated roasts as a child and still do not like them. I especially do not like a roast with the potatoes, carrots, and celery baked in the pan. I could not eat brown gravy until I was in my 20's lol. I will skip a roast dinner if given a choice and just eat mashed potatoes and the sides. The only thing that got me through my childhood was catsup/ketchup..lol. I will eat Arby's sandwiches since they do no taste like roast beef.. Again so sweet of you to take the time to write out your recipe.

So glad you are enjoying your days at home. I love mine as well.Glad that your dialysis is helping you to feel so much better.

I am happy to hear you and Mr B will be able to go see the Opryland Hotel for the Christmas lights. That must be a lovely sight to see. I love driving around to see Christmas light displays.

Take care. Hope you can stay in touch more often.
Janet Alliesmama