Halloween - What Do YOU Do?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Halloween - What Do YOU Do?

Post by HappyDaze » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:17 pm

Dgflorida wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:51 am
We don't do anything. The houses are too far apart and no sidewalks discourage it. A few people decorate a bit, but the kids go to church sponsored activities. It is even too hot here for pumpkins outside. They rot in a couple of days.
Oh I forgot about it being hot still in some places. It's not hot here, to be sure! One of our local churches hosts a great event on Halloween - free games, cider, hot dogs, donuts, crafts, etc. It really is nice for families.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Quilter51 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:15 pm
Last year we did nothing and kinda sorta felt bad. But we only had three rings on the door while we were shut down andmight have had five or six. Traditionally, the yard person in this house rakes and keeps the candy bucket outside with her and whenever she comes in sometime after dusk she shuts down. Answering the door from the inside can be difficult with two people friendly, noisy dogs who want to get outside and play with the kiddos.

For myself, I am going to a halloween tea on the 24th and happy hour on hloween night at the Cheesecake factory which is in the mall so I will surely see lots of nice costumes.
Quilter, a Halloween Tea sounds wonderful - enjoy. Oh I haven't been to Cheescake Factory in forever - enjoy!

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:22 pm

This woman does fantastic tea and each month it is different.eggnog and gingerbread scones in Decenber and such. For October must of it is being done hallowenie. Cake pops like iballs and such. I will take photos.

frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:40 pm

Do you go trick or treating with a child or children? In years past, we would take the kids around the neighborhood. Not sure about this year.

Do you stay home and hand out treats? We collect small toys and trinkets throughout the year, and place them out on the front porch in a bushel basket for the trick-or-treaters. The kiddos, including the college kids from the nearby college, love sifting thru it all.

Do you go someplace else? We used to go to trunk-or-treats at several of the local churches, when the girls were younger.

Do you stay home and not hand out treats? Traditionally, we have trick-or-treated in the neighborhood early in the evening. Then, scurried back home, before it got too late. We always place a basket of toys/trinkets out on the porch, before heading out.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:36 am

We are traditional. Decorate the house outside and in. We live in a small county subdivision and so neighbors are not afraid to bring their kids around. Our police patrol the entire night and trick or treating is limited from 5-8 pm at houses that have their lights on. No one over the age of 12 is allowed to trick or treat.

We love the little kids in costume and always give out good candy - usually mini chocolate bars. It is fun, old fashioned and not burdensome. We may have 8 or 10 groups of little kids. I give the ordinances about Halloween and the police presence a good deal of credit for making it a fun, safe holiday.

My mama hated Halloween but my mother in law loved it. She would make up individual candy bags with ribbons and little designs 5 or 6 types of candy. I can still see her perched on her chair by the front door with her basket of candy bags waiting for the kids.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:08 am

HappyDaze wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:34 pm
What do you do for Halloween?

Do you go trick or treating with a child or children?

Do you stay home and hand out treats?

Do you go someplace else?

Do you stay home and not hand out treats?

This year, I am wearing a homemade costume and sitting out front of my house and giving away candy. I'm excited!! (I have to stay outside to keep the dogs from going bonkers with every knock at the door).
Sheila I use to sit outside with Allie and she had a little T-shirt that said Witch dog. She had a little witches hat but she did not like it. One year we did Trick of Treat but what we did was we went to houses that we knew had dogs and gave them milk bones. That was fun. Wish I lived in town to see the little kids again. It was fun.

I do decorate inside for the holiday. Enjoy your holiday.
Janet Alliesmama