Daily Check In October 16, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Daily Check In October 16, 2019

Post by Quilter51 »

There are generally two ways food is distributed in the US. The first is through an official food bank or the government. In those cases, you must be referred and the food in the ban comes from three ways (again, in general) via donations or grants of money, by way of physical donations and or by way of purchasing a truck of food from someplace central like the food bank of colorado. Those places generally take names and numbers and referrals. As much to be able to help the recepients in other ways as to limit their food intake (are they getting everything they are entitled to? Could they be getting heatins or cooling assitance? do the know about the free preschool or the local senior center or meals on wheels?)

The other way that food and other things are distributed is by churches. Which may get the food by the same methods above (buying a truck from a food bank, member donations, cash donations) but who simply distribute the food to whomever comes and asks. With no question asked. Because that's generally what church people do, give without question-in my experience.

My church is like that and my church in washington DC was like that. We simply opened up the pantry door and gave said food to whomever needed it. If there was food left after said distribution unless said food could be used in a churchfood event donated to someone with no transportation to get there, then the volunteers were allowed to take said food, because they were volunteers

and because of course, even in a church that donates food, there are often those including volunteers who are in need of food.

Long winded and very generalized, sorry. But I have a ten year history of organizing and donating food and cooking food for low income and homeless people.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Quilter51 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:32 pm There are generally two ways food is distributed in the US. The first is through an official food bank or the government. In those cases, you must be referred and the food in the ban comes from three ways (again, in general) via donations or grants of money, by way of physical donations and or by way of purchasing a truck of food from someplace central like the food bank of colorado. Those places generally take names and numbers and referrals. As much to be able to help the recepients in other ways as to limit their food intake (are they getting everything they are entitled to? Could they be getting heatins or cooling assitance? do the know about the free preschool or the local senior center or meals on wheels?)

The other way that food and other things are distributed is by churches. Which may get the food by the same methods above (buying a truck from a food bank, member donations, cash donations) but who simply distribute the food to whomever comes and asks. With no question asked. Because that's generally what church people do, give without question-in my experience.

My church is like that and my church in washington DC was like that. We simply opened up the pantry door and gave said food to whomever needed it. If there was food left after said distribution unless said food could be used in a churchfood event donated to someone with no transportation to get there, then the volunteers were allowed to take said food, because they were volunteers

and because of course, even in a church that donates food, there are often those including volunteers who are in need of food.

Long winded and very generalized, sorry. But I have a ten year history of organizing and donating food and cooking food for low income and homeless people.
yes - it is the churches that give to anyone that "asks". By getting in line in your vehicle - you are asking. They like to give.

They also do keep some for church sponsored things - fruit for snacks for the kids in catechism for example.

And many of the volunteers like to feel they are giving something in exchange for the food.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Hello all,
I have had another very frustrating morning but handled everything and feel better about stuff now.

Re the food distribution...I volunteered for a long time in a Salvation Army food bank, we gave to any in line. No questions asked...volunteers were encouraged to take anything fresh and even dried/canned goods. A lot of the volunteers were low income. They helped because they felt "needed". it was a really good, eye opening experience.

The fiancé and his helper are here splitting wood, I will stack it later. I have ham scrapes and bones in crockpot, making ham and beans tomorrow. Trying to get bits and pieces used from freezer. Supper will be leftovers and salad.

I need to get my list done and then read to relax.
Rinty, I had to have an MRI last year, it was awful for me (claustrophobia), poor Tom, no doubt he needs extra loving after his ordeal.
Off to get busy again,
JCKitty
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

clemencia2us wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:40 pm yes - it is the churches that give to anyone that "asks". By getting in line in your vehicle - you are asking. They like to give.

They also do keep some for church sponsored things - fruit for snacks for the kids in catechism for example.

And many of the volunteers like to feel they are giving something in exchange for the food.
In Canada we follow more the British way and the only people who get food are those that qualify.

The only church here in my province that gives out food is the Salvation Army (which is supplied by donations of money and goods). In the bigger centers the Food bank is more a city concern and run by the city. As far as I know even those a family/person needs to qualify for the help.

Now, at Christmas we do hampers and those are more loosely controlled. A family needs to phone in and say they could use one, or a family member/member of the city can phone in and request one for them. All hampers are of the following sizes, small, medium, large and extra large and depend on the size of the family who will be getting one.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I remember last year and the year before, our volunteer fire department or someone set up a donation of 1000 frozen turkies right before thanksgiving

Just line up and take one.
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

clemencia2us wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:29 am We finally had some rain. Expected a cold front - but feels the same to me.

I will be whining once it really does get cold.

My dogs kept barking all night. I am so sleepy. But will go to group breakfast. Have to vent with them. :evil:

There were a couple of complaints on social media about the food bank distribution.

I cannot believe that they will find fault with people trying to help people.

"well i saw the volunteers putting big boxes in their cars" - Hello - if you volunteer, you can also get a share - how hard is that to comprehend??
LOL I volunteer at the "friends" at the library, and we are allowed to take books home and read them and return them :D

IC