Do you believe the DNA/spit test ancestry products?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Do you believe the DNA/spit test ancestry products?

Post by Dgflorida »

My one son has taken an ancestry test, 23 and me. My husband's brother took one from ancestry. com. Now the results were similar which is to be expected and everyone is possibly related to Billy the kid. What a busy fellow he must have been! Some people I know also discovered they were part Neanderthal. Now, these quick tests are nothing compared to real genealogy. What do you think of these quick tests and how do you think they compare to genealogy?
Jackielou

Re: Do you believe the DNA/spit test ancestry products?

Post by Jackielou »

Our oldest son took a test by National Geographic (Genome Project) and it took well over a year to get the results.

As far as I know all the tests except the National Geographic one have been the same. That one just tracked one specific genome and the migration of that genome across the world. Amazingly where the three tests ended was exactly the same.

In fact if you trace far enough back you will find minute amounts of Neanderthal genes in each and every one of us. Some just have a bit more than others.

We are not related to Billy the Kid at all. LOL
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:48 am My one son has taken an ancestry test, 23 and me. My husband's brother took one from ancestry. com. Now the results were similar which is to be expected and everyone is possibly related to Billy the kid. What a busy fellow he must have been! Some people I know also discovered they were part Neanderthal. Now, these quick tests are nothing compared to real genealogy. What do you think of these quick tests and how do you think they compare to genealogy?
I use them together. Using the ancestry DNA test confirmed that a distant family that changed the family name to a different version, was related. One of them took a test and we matched up. Then i spoke with one older man - 94 - and he told me stories about visiting my grandparets etc. So i knew there was a real link

And if you go back many generations, heck yeah, everybody could be related - :mrgreen:
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

clemencia2us wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:00 pm I use them together. Using the ancestry DNA test confirmed that a distant family that changed the family name to a different version, was related. One of them took a test and we matched up. Then i spoke with one older man - 94 - and he told me stories about visiting my grandparets etc. So i knew there was a real link

And if you go back many generations, heck yeah, everybody could be related - :mrgreen:
i found the distant family first through genealogy research - all online at ancestry. Having the dna just confirmed it.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Most any of us will have neanderthal if we are European of ancestry. We will all have some African ancestry even if it is beyond tracking. Because that's where humans all began. My family tree is fourteen generations but I still consider doing it.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Quilter51 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:04 pm Most any of us will have neanderthal if we are European of ancestry. We will all have some African ancestry even if it is beyond tracking. Because that's where humans all began. My family tree is fourteen generations but I still consider doing it.
do it! It is so interesting. I like "meeting" new relatives. There is another website where you download your info and it matches you up with others. That one is free. I can't remember the name.