Do you believe the DNA/spit test ancestry products?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Do you believe the DNA/spit test ancestry products?

Post by mbrudnic »

My DNA results were consistent with what we knew (believed) about family history. Both my parents and my oldest on have taken the tests too.

It is odd in how every few months Ancestry changes the "Ethnicity Estimate". But they say that as more and more people submit their tests, the more data they get and the better they can refine the results. Right now I am 64% Germanic Europe, 34% English and northern Europe. My Dad's Mother's Father's line can be traced back to pre-revolutionary Pennsylvania (and Germany). I figured they English came form there with the wives of that line, but no, the English showed up on Mom's side. But all her lines can be traced 5 generations back to Germany. However, they are from the Rhine Valley where it vacillated between France and Germany for generations.

Ancestry did not reveal any famous people in my lines.
Carol V

Post by Carol V »

Hi All. I am a believer when it comes to DNA. I did it, mostly just out of curiosity, and found out my dad wasn't my dad! Before I tested one of my cousins did and when my results came back we didn't match. So I had my 1/2 brother test and, again, no match. Thought we had the same dad. Then, since my sister died a few years ago I had my nephew test. We match through my sister who it turns out is my 1/2 sister. So, I ended with two 1/2 siblings and four 'non' siblings. Odd to think I was was raised and grew up in a large family that I am not related to in any way, shape or form. I am getting close to finding out who my birth father is through a gal who matches me with higher numbers than even my full blood cousins that I do match. She was adopted and doesn't know who either parent is but we have figured out I am her 1/2 aunt so one of her parents is a half sibling to me. All from the same area in Phoenix.

It's kind of weird to be finding out these things at this late date in life. I was 75 when I found out and am 77 now so all parental units are likely gone. I know all the ones I knew are and if my birth father were still alive he'd be in his 90s. I wouldn't mind knowing if I have any half siblings still kicking around. My 'found' half niece is in her mid 40s so her parents are probably younger than me and, hopefully, still alive. We have researchers working on it now and in one day added over 120 people to my paternal tree. It had nothing when we started because I deleted my dad's tree. Problem is there are two choices and we haven't figured out which one is 'the guilty party'. I don't think either of my parents ever gave it a thought that I might not be my dad's because my birth mom got pregnant with me only about a month after they were married. Many questions I would have for her, if she were still alive. Unfortunately there's nobody to ask anymore OR do a DNA test.

If I never find out who my birth father is/was it's okay. My family is still my family and it makes no difference to any of us. My dad will always be my dad and my 'hero' same as he's been my entire life.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Yes, the change in formula for tracking is a puzzle, Logics. Hub's brother experienced a similar thing. He has gained Eastern European ancestry with the last change. If these tests are in such a flux, which one is right?
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Remember that through out history, people have been on the move.

Just an example in Europe, there have been multiple wars. This always creates refugees.

As more and more people get tested they will make changes.

For the most part they are comparing you with the people who live there now, not necessarily the same group that lived there when your family emigrated.

Penny
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Dgflorida wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:43 am Yes, the change in formula for tracking is a puzzle, Logics. Hub's brother experienced a similar thing. He has gained Eastern European ancestry with the last change. If these tests are in such a flux, which one is right?
I'm going to have to check my sister's results when I go to see her in a few weeks to see if the change has occurred in hers as well.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

itspennyc wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:03 pm Remember that through out history, people have been on the move.

Just an example in Europe, there have been multiple wars. This always creates refugees.

As more and more people get tested they will make changes.

For the most part they are comparing you with the people who live there now, not necessarily the same group that lived there when your family emigrated.

Penny
Well if that's the case, then how can Ancestry boast that these are accurate? I do know that if you took another it could show different results. I'd like to contact Ancestry.com and see how and if a second test through them might change the results. They could keep fine tuning it and fine tuning it until it shows me from Australia at this rate.