Nov 1st 2019 Daily check in

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Nov 1st 2019 Daily check in

Post by colonialgirl »

Afternoon everyone - for the first time in a week I feel human. Hubs and I had the lovely bronchitis, sinus infection, pink eye bug that is going around - or as I like to think of it - Snotpaloosa. I have not been sick like this in a very long time - but day 8 on the antibiotics has finally turned the tide.

We skipped Halloween last night. Did not want to hand out candy with a side of bacterial infection. Plus we had 2 inches of snow and temps in the low 20s, so I doubt many were out. I hate it though - I love giving out candy.

Cleaning up the kitchen today and putting on a pot of beef vegetable soup. I've never tried that before - but soup is pretty forgiving and it sounds good. We have subsisted on whatever we could grab for a week - so a hot meal is probably a good idea. Then will hit all of the light switches, door knobs and cabinet doors with antibacterial wipes. Cleaners are coming Monday but I don't want to wait.

I have a question - what happened to Fall? What did we get - one week of nice cool crisp days and then boom it is winter? I live for October weather all year long, so I am hoping we get at least a little warm up and a week of Indian summer (autumn)?.

Mackie - I am so happy you left your job. I am sure they are lost without you, but they were working you into the ground. Janet - if you need anything message me. Like I told you I have a great niece and nephew in Wood River & they could help you out and I can get down there in an hour and a half. Wishing healing to all of those with physical challenges here.

Found out last night I will be having Thanksgiving here. My niece who lost her husband got a job and she told her sister last night that she could not get Thanksgiving together while she was working. Hubs said why not - you were working for 30 years and did it. I can't help but chuckle that they are finally understanding the amount of work that went into holidays all those years. So I have 4 weeks to plan and prepare to make it do able for this old slow lady. Should be able to pull it off.

Have a great frugal day all!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

itspennyc wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:20 pm I buy Grosgrain ribbon, I make the holes vertically on the ribbon using my sewing machine. I have a button hole attachment I then hand sew the ribbon to the sweater.

Penny

I have done it this way for years.
Penny thanks for the information. It makes me think more about maybe making a cardigan with buttons. I have the yarn but did not want to make a cardigan with button holes but this sounds like something I can do or at least try...lol.
Janet Alliesmama
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I use a simple top down cardigan, I have used this pattern since 1977.

Ravelry has lots of great free patterns for top down sweaters and cardigans.

Penny

Edited to correct typo
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

colonialgirl wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:19 pm Afternoon everyone - for the first time in a week I feel human. Hubs and I had the lovely bronchitis, sinus infection, pink eye bug that is going around - or as I like to think of it - Snotpaloosa. I have not been sick like this in a very long time - but day 8 on the antibiotics has finally turned the tide.

We skipped Halloween last night. Did not want to hand out candy with a side of bacterial infection. Plus we had 2 inches of snow and temps in the low 20s, so I doubt many were out. I hate it though - I love giving out candy.

Cleaning up the kitchen today and putting on a pot of beef vegetable soup. I've never tried that before - but soup is pretty forgiving and it sounds good. We have subsisted on whatever we could grab for a week - so a hot meal is probably a good idea. Then will hit all of the light switches, door knobs and cabinet doors with antibacterial wipes. Cleaners are coming Monday but I don't want to wait.

I have a question - what happened to Fall? What did we get - one week of nice cool crisp days and then boom it is winter? I live for October weather all year long, so I am hoping we get at least a little warm up and a week of Indian summer (autumn)?.

Mackie - I am so happy you left your job. I am sure they are lost without you, but they were working you into the ground. Janet - if you need anything message me. Like I told you I have a great niece and nephew in Wood River & they could help you out and I can get down there in an hour and a half. Wishing healing to all of those with physical challenges here.

Found out last night I will be having Thanksgiving here. My niece who lost her husband got a job and she told her sister last night that she could not get Thanksgiving together while she was working. Hubs said why not - you were working for 30 years and did it. I can't help but chuckle that they are finally understanding the amount of work that went into holidays all those years. So I have 4 weeks to plan and prepare to make it do able for this old slow lady. Should be able to pull it off.

Have a great frugal day all!
Lynn you are a sweetheart to offer help. I should be ok. The surgery will be as an outpatient. It has been scheduled towards the end of this month. I should be in by 12:30 PM and out and on my way home by 4:00 PM.What a relief we will not be fighting St. Louis rush hour traffic either way. Teddi will be ok in his cage for that length of time. I am going to ask the neighbors down the road to check on him. My aide will be taking me and she said if I need someone here when we get home she will clock out and stay over on her own time. She has been a blessing.I am so use to being on my own I prep well before hand and actually prefer no fussing after I get home. Teddi is such a sweetheart as long as he can snuggle up to me he will sleep right along side of me. He also can go out on his own to potty and my aide can do that before she leaves and later on just need to open the door for him.

Sorry you and your hubs have been ill. Hope you are both on the road to recovery.. ((hug)).

I am like you. What happened to Fall? We were told by our local weather Dude or should I weather Dud..that Fall leaves were delayed in our area until Mid November this year. That was before we had snow and a hard freeze yesterday. Not sure now what the prediction will be. We only had a dusting of snow yesterday. I did enjoy it. I look forward to Fall every year. It is my favorite time of year. This year has been a really weird one that is for sure with the prolonged flooding and monsoon rain in the spring.

Take care of yourself and your Hubby. Teddi says arf, arf to little Miss Abigail
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

itspennyc wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:47 pm I use a simple top down cardigan, I have used this pattern since 1977.

Ravelry has lots of great free patterns for top down sweaters and cardigans.

Penny

Edited to correct typo
Penny thanks again for the information. I will be looking in to Ravelry.
Janet Alliesmama
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

The San Antonio area had its first freeze of the season. A full month early.

Penny