Nov 2nd 2019 Daily Check-in

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Nov 2nd 2019 Daily Check-in

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello all,

I slept fitfully, with weird dreams & dh muttering at me too. He left 1-1/2 hours ago to work on the limestone haul project in place of his driver. He woke me before he left.

Ds17 just knocked at my door to let me know he'd be leaving soon. He’s been asked to a Sadie Hawkins dance tonight & apparently it also entails an all-day date as well—she's taking him hunting in Colorado.😁 There he goes now.

Between those two, I doubt I’ll get back to sleep though it’s just past 5:30 here.

Yesterday afternoon, we got the last of our children vaccinated with flu shots—strongly recommended by both my Chemo Dr & the children's Pediatrician, dh & I have them too. My first one ever and I’m not too thrilled to need it.

I think I left a few details off my cancer/chemo update—I’ll think on it to figure what I left out.

I plan to knit a few rows on my mens chemo hat, then knit on cotton dishcloths. I would like to make enough this month to give one each to my Doctors, and their nurses or assistants, who have been a supportive part of my cancer journey. (I want to show my appreciation in this way, but am afraid to voice this idea around my family as they will likely make fun of my idea—its happened many times in past).

I mailed two packages yesterday, both were “frugal” packaging—I used parts of other packages to wrap my parcels in.
I need to figure out an inexpensive way to wrap my gifts for medical personnel in, anyone have ideas for me?

May you all have a good day. Stay warm too. Its currently 12*F (-11.111C) here with realfeel of 8*F (-13.333C), but will warm up to 43*F (6.1111C). Monday-Thursday is too be at 50*F with lows in mid-20’s.

Today I’m thankful for electricity & a weatherproof house.
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LogicsHere

Re: Nov 2nd 2019 Daily Check-in

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning everyone.

A chilly 32 degrees here this morning, going up to the mid-50s. Seems a bit early, but what can you do.

Sitting here steaming a bit about the Post Office. Up until last year I can't remember ever not getting my mail, but as of last November they have missed deliveries of my co-op maintenance bills and now that I've changed one of my medical insurance plans, a letter from the new one has disappeared (I use their see what mail is coming service). This letter may have been my new card and if gotten in the wrong hands could pose a problem. Have no idea as to what to do except I may call them up this morning and complain. It seems to me if you don't want to do the job right, then maybe you're in the wrong job. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Another financial emergency popped up with my sister yesterday . . . this time with the IRS. They say after 4 and 6 years respectfully that she owes them money and she now owes them with fines and penalties yada, yada, yada. Couldn't leave her in the hands of the IRS with their daily fines and interest so I bailed her out yet again. I am going to be going through her documents with them because she was supposed to be caught up as she went through that Offers and Compromise plan they offer and she was supposed to be officially clear as of almost 2 years ago. I did tell her that this has to be the absolute last because I am not giving her any more help and that the help I have given them has far exceeded what I've even spent on myself these last 50 years. What I don't understand is how the IRS can not tell you that you have failed to pay something until its 4 or more years old --- that's just not fair. And no it wasn't a scam because she called the IRS directly and spoke with them. Anyway.

Nothing special planned for today. I want to work on my website today . . . and have some fun with it. I also will probably print a practice coloring page . . . I want to practice doing "gold" using a combination of different colored pencils. I found a You Tube video of someone who did a beetle in gold with ruby colored "gems" . . . it was absolutely gorgeous. I'm amazed at the work of some of these people.

Didn't feel like scrambled eggs last night so I popped a Lean Cuisine in the microwave. Tonight I will have the leftover spaghetti that I made on Wednesday.

Well going to check on some email and then get started on my web site. Have a great day all.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning Gayle and all,

It looks to be another lovely day in Florida. Starting temperature around 70F heading for a high temperature of 87F. Windows open since the humidity is not too hight. House is happy with the temperatures and humidity. No ac. No heat. No cost there.

The demolition of the kitchen begins next week. I have created a place for pots and pans outside on the porch where my outside cooking area is. It has worked out well. I did recognize that I have more than I need. I gave my neighbor all the cooking things associated with the oven since I will no longer have an oven in my new kitchen. Small house set up for handicapped accessibility has some sacrifice. Cooking in an oven in Florida generates so much house heat that the ac must then counter, that it was the logical thing to give up. Cooking outside in the crock pot which does not heat up the house is a better way to go to save money. On Tuesday, my old kitchen sink will go outside to its new location next to the outside faucet. We will see how that works out. I have positioned the free barrels from my neighbor's old floating dock to hold up the sink. These barrels are strong. I use two of them to hold up the old, heavy wooden front door that now is my planting table. I had to replace the regular sink with an ADA sink in the house. The drain holes are at the back to allow a wheelchair under the sink for access.

Today, I will climb on a small ladder and start taking everything out of the top cabinets. Although those cabinets are not being changed out, they could get bumped during demolition. Once I see what I have, I will find a place to store the stuff. I have several possibilities selected in my head. A day of adventure.

I have transplanted my young tomato plants to bigger pots. Two of the 3 patio tomato plants I bought are in bloom. I am still fighting white flies which apparently every nearby gardener is fighting this year according to my FB group. Neem oil is considered the organic solution. We will see. Turnips, radishes, Swiss chard are coming along. My fall hibiscus are blooming. Huge as usual. Butterflies all over the nectar garden and host plants. A lovely time to be in Florida.

Today, I am grateful for my little house and owning less stuff as a result. Have a good day everyone.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

As I suspected things got very frosty here overnight and the roads are pretty much covered in ice. Just staying quietly at home today, and not going anywhere if I can help it until perhaps the afternoon. Hubby wants to look at accent chairs to replace the one we have.

Tomorrow I am Mass Coordinator so have to be out on the crappy roads early.

Most of today will be spent working around the house on various projects, and perhaps reading. My walking for exercise will take place on the treadmill. I also need to bake a loaf of bread at some point. Just tiny frugal happenings going on today.

I have not entered the sewing room to do work in there since the beginning of the week. It has been so cloudy and dreary that the lighting has not been good. I hope the sun comes out today so I can finish off the dress and move on to cutting some new patterns out. I need to get down to the nitty gritty in order to have everything ready for Christmas this year. I seem to start well and then falter every year. Perhaps I need to start in January of the new year.

Baking list will be made today, and I will start to go through my baking supplies to see what needs to be purchased. I try and space these purchases out over the build up to baking. Pretty sure I need nuts, coconut, chocolate chips, baking chocolate, and lots of icing sugar.

So while it is a relatively laid back kind of day, things that are necessary are still being completed, and probably decluttering is going to take place as well. Found a few items that will be heading home with oldest DS, and I know there are a few things downstairs that belong to youngest DS. I will be starting boxes for both of them.

Supper tonight will be the leftover stir fry, and I will be serving it on rice this time around.

Today I am grateful that I still have the get up and go to get things completed.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Nice sunny chilly day. Should warm up to about 70 - not too bad at all.

Slept well. The boys and girls didn't wake up until after 8! Guess they are practicing for the time change. They sleep so much better in this cold weather. We haven't turned on the heat.

Will read the news, do some cleaning, shower and get ready to attend a little gathering

I made chicken soup yesterday. Came out really good.

Hope all have a great day
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning everyone,

It's a dull overcast day here today with temperatures hovering around freezing. We've had a lot of cloudy days so I wish the sun would come out.

This morning I have tackled the laundry and got my weekly grocery shopping done at No Frills. I noticed a pretty steep increase in almost all fresh produce this week. I managed to stick to my list and only get what was really needed.

Will finish up all the laundry this afternoon and hope to get in some vacuuming. If dh is watching tv that may not be possible, in which case there are bathrooms to scrub. This is my exciting life!

Creative