Nov 6, 2019 Daily Check-in

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Nov 6, 2019 Daily Check-in

Post by MackerelCat »

Gayle, while there have to be rules, one would think they would take into account the severity of your surgery, that your husband often works out of town, and you have no female relatives to help you. Your road to healing will not be exactly like anyone else's, and it is foolish and cruel of anyone to assume it will be. (((Hugs)))

Good morning, frugal ones. I am drinking coffee and checking the weather to see if today will be a good day to give the dogs a bath. The two smaller ones happily mouth on each other all day and get icky looking with their long ear feathers tangled up.

DH and I had a talk about our current financial state last night, which is hammered thin by medical expenses. After his employer health insurance kicked in on his four days in the hospital bill, we still owe nearly $2K, which we set up a payment plan on, and there's been a flurry of smaller post-insurance bills from the hospital internal medicine doctor, pathology, and the hospital podiatrist. Glad I did not use valet parking or we might owe them too!

After insurance, the cost of his four days in the hospital was around $3K. Eeeyow.

Thus part of today will be devoted to rewriting my resume and job hunting online. And maybe cleaning DS's bathroom, which resembles a science experiment with four walls.
Mackie
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Mackie: Consider yourself lucky with the hospital bill that's so small. When I had my knee replacement my statement was $ 50,000 for just room and board. I had to choose my meals and phone the menu in, I had nothing special done for me. I did ask ONCE for help to get to the bathroom. That's all. Four days.

That amount did not include the surgeon, anesthesia, physical therapy (which they said I had but did not), labs, or anything else. Just the room and meals.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:45 am Gayle, while there have to be rules, one would think they would take into account the severity of your surgery, that your husband often works out of town, and you have no female relatives to help you. Your road to healing will not be exactly like anyone else's, and it is foolish and cruel of anyone to assume it will be. (((Hugs)))

Good morning, frugal ones. I am drinking coffee and checking the weather to see if today will be a good day to give the dogs a bath. The two smaller ones happily mouth on each other all day and get icky looking with their long ear feathers tangled up.

DH and I had a talk about our current financial state last night, which is hammered thin by medical expenses. After his employer health insurance kicked in on his four days in the hospital bill, we still owe nearly $2K, which we set up a payment plan on, and there's been a flurry of smaller post-insurance bills from the hospital internal medicine doctor, pathology, and the hospital podiatrist. Glad I did not use valet parking or we might owe them too!

After insurance, the cost of his four days in the hospital was around $3K. Eeeyow.

Thus part of today will be devoted to rewriting my resume and job hunting online. And maybe cleaning DS's bathroom, which resembles a science experiment with four walls.
Mackie that is scary to have that much money that you will need to pay out of pocket. Hope you can find something in a part time job to help out.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Carleen wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:01 am Mackie: Consider yourself lucky with the hospital bill that's so small. When I had my knee replacement my statement was $ 50,000 for just room and board. I had to choose my meals and phone the menu in, I had nothing special done for me. I did ask ONCE for help to get to the bathroom. That's all. Four days.

That amount did not include the surgeon, anesthesia, physical therapy (which they said I had but did not), labs, or anything else. Just the room and meals.
Carleen that is so outrageous.. I hope you did not have to pay out of pocket for all of the expenses.
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Carleen wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:01 am Mackie: Consider yourself lucky with the hospital bill that's so small. When I had my knee replacement my statement was $ 50,000 for just room and board. I had to choose my meals and phone the menu in, I had nothing special done for me. I did ask ONCE for help to get to the bathroom. That's all. Four days.

That is Mackie’s out-of-pocket cost after employer health insurance, not the total bill.

You are on Medicare. If you have a decent Supplement I’m sure your out-of-pocket cost was little or nothing.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Nope, we were not on Medicare!!!!! Hubby was still working so insurance picked up some but the left-overs were well over Mackie's $ 10,000. I don't know how you assumed we were on Medicare... Hubby loved his work and did not retire until a year and a half ago - we are both 74 now.

You seem to think you know a lot about us (as I noted in one of your previous postings). That is why I haven't been around here much anymore.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17