Daily Check in Nov 11, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check in Nov 11, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:52 pm Good morning, frugals. I was on the phone this morning with my little single mom friend trying to sort out a problem with her old car. Her neighbor finally saw the hood up on the car and came over to check things out. It turned out she had tried to take off the radiator cap while the engine was hot from driving, which added a few to my gray hairs!

I need to take DH over to give her lessons in basic car maintenance.

Right now I am doing laundry and the dachshunds are all snoozing on the ottoman and sofa. It's supposed to turn off cold tonight -- the wind is getting up -- and be rainy, freezing and snowing tomorrow. Not the kind of weather the sunny South deals with well.

This afternoon I have to have a contrast MRI of my brain to see if the veins are smaller than normal, as the latest theory is that is what's causing me to have intracranial hypertension. The neuro ophthalmologist thinks this is possible because my optic nerves are unusually narrow and tiny blood vessels developed in places in my eyes where they should not have. So we'll see. I fell asleep during the last two MRIs I had, and hope this will be no different.

Hope everyone has a lovely frugal day. Thank you, Jackie, for writing so well about Veteran's Day.
Mackie I hope the MRI will give the Dr a better idea of what is causing your headaches.
You and your DH are a blessing to the young mother.. I knew it takes a lot of effort to look out for her and your homeless friend but you do it with a good and happy heart despite having concerns of your own. Kudos to you.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

frugalaaron wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:49 am Thank you. :D
Thank you Aaron for your service as well.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

It has been snowing non stop since around 8:30 AM. What makes me mad is my neighbor lady, who cuts my grass, insisted yesterday that she was going to cut my grass today. I told her that we were suppose to have snow and she fluffed it off as being "just an inch and it will not stick since the ground is warm." She said she waited until now since she wanted to mulch the leaves after they fell off of the trees. My brother had paid her up to Nov 1st and she had not cut it since some time the later part of October. So I went out and picked up sticks. I should not have due to my current back problem. I was in severe pain when I came in and had to take a pain pill and stretch out on the couch for a couple of hours waiting for it to kick. I am having an MRI on Wednesday. I have sent and e-mail to my brother to see if I can tell her to forget it.

I am enjoying the snow. I have always loved snow and in my bedroom I have three large windows that look out to the wooded area behind my house and it very pretty.
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good afternoon friends.

Thank you to all veterans. Jackie said it best.

Mackie, good luck with the MRI.

Logics, I’ll look forward to hearing about your theater visit. I love live theater, too.

This morning I went out to breakfast with mom’s neighbor. She kindly offered to treat and I didn’t protest too much since I treated on our last outing. She invited me to Thanksgiving.

This afternoon was a workshop (Free) on familysearch.org at the library. Most libraries are closed today but this one was open. The speaker is a volunteer at the local Family History Center and he was very good. (We had a speaker from the Center a year or two ago who was very disorganized.) He will start monthly workshops on the family history.org site next month. Gayle and Rinty, your church’s devopment of this genealogy resource is a real gift.

On the way home I stopped at CVS for free Sure deodorant. I’ve gotten this free in the past and like using it. It is $2 and you get $2 back in ECBs. Even better, I had $2 in ECBs from a CVS survey last night. (I did not qualify for the $10.) So I’ll use the $2 from the deodorant on haircolor. At CVS if you buy 7 haircolor (any brand) over a year, you get the 8th one free. I’ve bought 6 so with this next purchase I’ll get the free one.

I also stopped at Tuesday Morning and bought Christmas cards. Not nearly the selection as in previous years but I’m buying later than usual. So many nice things in that store that I have to put blinders on. But today I only bought the cards. Go me!

Stay warm to all of you in the “winter comes early” area. It is supposed to be “cold” here on Wednesday.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Went to the VFW for the ceremony. I am a member but since i don't have all the shirts and hats they wear, I hung out in the audience. My sister wanted me to go stand with them, but she doesn't understand that I would feel out of place not having the right "uniform"

I did order a hat, but it was too small. And i haven't been to a meeting in months - so all my fault. They had food so we ate there and then we also went to lunch!!!!

Came home and stuck to my Monday schedule of laundry. Had lots of dog blankets to wash. Made it back home just in time. The cold front was coming in. Very windy - leaves blowing all over the place. Temp was 80 and now down to 69 or so. Really warm this morning. Okay now i think i prefer summer. :lol:

Going to hunker down for the next couple of days.

Have a great one.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:42 am Thank you to all those who have served and those that continue to serve. Thank you to those who came back and those who lie in foreign soil.

The sacrifices you made and are still making are greatly appreciated.
So well said Jackie. A very heartfelt thank you to all that served and are serving, from me as well.