Daily Check-in November 13, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

Re: Daily Check-in November 13, 2019

Post by Mrscreative »

Good evening everyone,

I hope everyone has had a great day and you didn't get too wrapped up into politics. My dh is inclined that way, even though we're not American. But he distracted himself by watching some re runs of 48 hours. I personally find that show to be too gory.

I volunteered at the school today as a reading coach. It's such a joy to work with small groups of children roughly at the same reading level. They're in grade one so you never know what's going to come out of their mouths. So very, very cute!

This afternoon dh and I bundled up and took a long walk. That was our exercise. I made some blueberry muffins as I am having a friend over for coffee, fruit and muffins after lunch tomorrow. I have some pumpkin muffins in the freezer so I'll pull a couple out and we'll have a variety. Not everyone may like pumpkin muffins. The recipes came from the old Canadian cookbook "Muffin Mania" from the early 1980's. All their recipes are so good! For fruit I am thinking pineapple cubes, papaya spears, apple, pear and kiwi slices. I have everything on hand so that will be a nice variety. And much less than those expensive fruit trays you can pick up.

I agree with everyone else about the need to put yourself first when necessary. You don't do anyone a favour by becoming an enabler.

Tomorrow morning I have walking club and then I'll be busy getting the house straightened up a bit for my visit. I usually dust on Fridays anyway, the floors are already good. But housework is never ending so I can always find something to do.

Have a great evening everyone!
Creative

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Jackielou wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:29 am
Yeah for the bath. I bet you feel nice and clean now.
I haven't actually taken a bath yet as I fear that I'm getting either an UTI or a vaginal yeast infection--IF I don't see the clarifying signs by tomorrow morning, then I'm definitely going to have a bath! ;)

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

colonialgirl wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:13 am
Morning all -
Yes it is I - CG - awake at 9:03 a.m. Guess the political junkie in me overcomes the need to sleep as I will be glued to the hearings today.

Still fighting the dreaded bacterial infection. Hint to all - buy stock in Kleenex. I went back to the doctor yesterday and he put me back on an 11 day round of antibiotics. Hope this finally gets rid of it. I was able to sleep last night so that is an improvement.

Logics - vent away. Sadly probably the best thing you can do for your niece and sister is to not bail them out financially. It is so hard to deal with non-functional family - but until they are forced to clean up their own messes, they never will. Or at least that has been my experience with my family. I did this for years with my sister and now I see my youngest niece on the same road. She inherited 300k cash when her husband died two years ago and has almost none of it left. She does own her house and car but I expect a request for funds when the taxes come due. Hubs and I have decided, the bank is closed. It is so hard to draw lines.

Well I have a date with Mr. Schiff - so catch you all later.

Have a good one, CG.
Lynn so sorry to hear you are still dealing with an infection. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for healing.

That is so sad about your niece going through all of her money so quickly.
I have had to tell my nieces that the bank is closed. I could use some of the thousands of dollars I have given them over the years. The sad thing is they never seemed to get further ahead with my help and they are no worse off without it. They manage when they have to. A great niece of mine was living with my brother and SIL for a while. She was 10 and had come out of a bad situation. I gave my SIL some money to help them buy school clothes for her. My SIL took her shopping and told her to look for a winter coat. She went through the racks and decided on what she wanted. My SIL thought it looked horrible. She asked her if she really liked the coat and she said, no but it was the cheapest one on the rack. She was told to pick out something else, something she liked, since I had given her money for clothes. That little girl at the age of 10 knew then how to budget. Her father had passed away and she had 5 siblings and at the age of 10 new the value of a 1.00. .
Janet Alliesmama

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Thanks Janet - I am feeling some better so just think I need another round of antibiotics.

I hate to hear that you and Logics are/have been in the same boat with family. It is one thing to help someone who is truly in need through no fault of their own. It is another to watch someone spend money on things you routinely do without and then have them come to you for help. And you are right - you can't teach or help them - I have tried.

But if she can't pay her real estate tax she will have to get an additional job or take out a loan against the house or quit smoking - whatever she must do. But we won't give her the money. I know I sound hard - but that is just the way it is.

Oh and FCL - I figured you would be with me on our date. ; )

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Thank you, Rinty, for giving me a positive look at my "oh, good Heavens!" Christmas budget. This weekend I plan to take cash and coupons (vouchers) in hand and get it done.

Today was warmer, thank goodness. I did housecleaning and laundry, dog wrangled, and applied online for three jobs, all clerical positions at hospitals. Then I picked up my homeless shelter buddy and gave him a ride to a more distant Save-a-Lot to do his big monthly shopping trip with his food stamps. We timed it so I could get him back to the shelter for 5:30 PM check in with his bags of groceries.

I had a no spend day today. DH did have to stop and buy a bag of cat food on the way home this evening, but his day was pretty frugal too.
Mackie