Daily Check-In November 16, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Re: Daily Check-In November 16, 2019

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello friends,

Another restless night but I managed some sleep.

I’ve been watching Father Brown, and have really been enjoying watching how Father Brown comes to his conclusions. I also love watching the Inspector lose his cool.

Knitting group today, it is our potluck Thanksgiving dinner.

Dd6 woke up with a harsh cough.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

rinty wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:24 am :( Hello Frugals !

Logics , your room sounds lovely with the lights on............I notice you all in the US do put your trees up a lot earlier than us Brits. Envious !!!!
I think that has something to do with the an old Victorian custom. Back then Christmas trees were often put up on Christmas Eve and taken down on Jan 5 or 6, it revolved around the 12th Night. If it was put up any sooner or taken down any later, it was believed that it would bring bad luck to the household.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 am Hello friends,

Logics, good for you for getting your tree up early. I’m going to try to get mine up around Thanksgiving. I enjoy it SO much. (I’m with you on the Florida temperatures. I have on shorts. I did wear my medium-weight robe this morning.)
Well, normally I put mine up around Thanksgiving also, but since I'm going to be in Florida for the first 2 weeks of December, I didn't want to lose any time enjoying it.

I had to laugh this morning though. My sister just asked me this morning that if it goes down to 50 degrees at night would I mind moving my bed (air mattress) to the living room rather than the closed in porch. I couldn't help but chuckle. I told her that it's been in the 20s here already and not only do I keep a window open, I also had a small fan blowing on me. I told her as long as I had a light blanket that I'd be fine. LOL
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 am Hello friends,

Rinty, Your clothes shopping with DS sounds great. You and your DH are SO, SO good to Tom. The Scandinavian-hearts you made in crafty club sound really nice. I love them.

Logics, good for you for getting your tree up early. I’m going to try to get mine up around Thanksgiving. I enjoy it SO much. (I’m with you on the Florida temperatures. I have on shorts. I did wear my medium-weight robe this morning.)

Maggie, where are you and your cousin going on your vacation (if you don’t mind saying?) Good for you. Enjoy.

-SNIP-
Stay warm.
Where we are going is what we need to figure out. We know 1) we are driving and 2) we are going south.

I too have a NetFlix card to watch The Crown. I got it to watch season 2 and never did. So I have 2 seasons to watch.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

LogicsHere wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:20 am I think that has something to do with the an old Victorian custom. Back then Christmas trees were often put up on Christmas Eve and taken down on Jan 5 or 6, it revolved around the 12th Night. If it was put up any sooner or taken down any later, it was believed that it would bring bad luck to the household.
So the Church (now Catholic Church) celebrated Advent the 4 weeks before Christmas. It used to be it was similar to Lent where you fasted from meat and prayed, etc. It ended on Christmas Eve. So that is when the celebrations began. Now Advent is not quite as somber, but the third week, Gaudete Suday or pink candle Sunday, is a shift from less penitential to celebratory for the coming of the Christ Child. So many wait until then to put up a tree. Also, when you get a live tree, and you want it to last until New Year's or even the Epiphany on the 6th, you had to delay setting it up.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good Day All. Came to the Library for "craft-ver-sation" - a combination of crafting and conversation - you bring your own project to work on - no instruction or supplies provided. It was a nice 2 hours, chatting and crafting with others. I worked on a Christmas wreath that I'm making.

Heading home in a few minutes for a very late lunch and then the dogs must each be taken on a long walk. It is COLD - I will be bundled up for sure.

Have a wonderful weekend.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz