Daily Check In December 3, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In December 3, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Starting us off and then I need coffee. Back very soon.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In December 3, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It is a bit chillier this morning here than yesterday. Really yesterday got up to above freezing (now we have a frozen slushy mess once again). With the falling of the temperature and all the moisture in the air, I think that snow could be on the way.

The little get together went very well, we talked and laughed (and ate) for the entire time. I will host another get together in June to end the year.

At some point this month I need to go and renew my cell phone contract. Perhaps even get a new phone (though the ones they have for zero dollars with a contract are not really to my liking). I am wondering if I could pass on this older one (only two years old) to Hubby as his is going bye, bye and hardly keeps a charge any longer.

Frugally speaking, we plan on looking at a new TV stand for the living room. Hubby took a drive yesterday and saw what he considers a beautiful one. I want one with a fake electric fireplace/heater type thing, and this one does not have one. The sales person says there is room in the bottom for one though (think that is why it sits so high). I will keep him happy and go take a look though. It might mean making some kind of shelving unit on the wall for my various knick knacks. Nothing wrong with looking and pricing out though.

The clothes on the lines in the basement need to be taken down and folded, and I have the usual Tuesday chore list to complete. I also want to get a bit of baking done as well.

The usual frugal exercise taking place here as well. Walking on the treadmill, and putting more steps on while doing the household chores. I am really trying to get over my 10k steps each day until youngest DS comes home, bringing our devil grandcat with him. I won't be able to use the treadmill while he his down in the basement I will need to resort to walking in place or going to the walking track (something I really do not enjoy).

Hopefully baking will be finished up in the next few days and I can get back to the sewing room and finishing up projects in there. I am moving right along on the sparkly shell/sweater I am knitting, but that is evening in front of the TV handwork.

The ladies found my temperature blanket very interesting, in fact they asked if I planned on making another. Perhaps in a couple of years (though I probably have enough leftover yarn to do another one next year, perhaps as a comparison to see how things change from year to year). A person can only use so many knit blankets or afghans. It would be interesting though.

I will also continue to work on my planner for next year. I have most of it completed and the binder cleared of unnecessary papers (well for the most part) and am itching to get the rest done.

Gifts are in their cloth bags, cards will be coming out today. I don't plan on sending too many of them once again this year. Perhaps a few to my aging Uncles, and phone calls to my Mom's sisters my aging Aunts. I think that this year I might just send a card to my Dad's sister as the last time I phoned she was a bit off putting (and has continued/continues to be on Facebook). I don't need any negativity right now in my life.

Supper tonight is going to be a package of the frozen ham made into scalloped potatoes and ham. I usually make this in the microwave so very little power used at all. We have tossed salad and leftover fruit in the fridge so I pretty much have my meal planned.

Today I am grateful that I made it to the library yesterday and got some new reading material.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning from chilly Florida,

Temperatures got down into the 30's here in west central Florida. My FB garden groups were busy trying to decide what to cover, bring in or leave. I didn't bring in anything and I will know later if I made the right decision. Doesn't look like any frost. This cold is good for the strawberries though. They say it makes them sweeter.

My insulation efforts of the past couple of days paid off. The house remained in the 70's all night even as the outside temperatures dipped into the 30's. No need for any heat means no electricity use and a savings. Money saved by reducing electrical heating cost looks just like the money saved by buying smart at the grocery store to me. We may need to use the heat tonight, but less than most people thanks to my efforts.

I wake up in the middle of the night and read about things. Last night, while reading about insulation, I came across a wonderful site, Starcraft custom builders. They have a library of articles written by professional on every aspect of the home. I read up on counter tops. I opted to go with the old fashion formica. The sales people really push the other products which are more expensive and usually require more maintenance. They had a series of articles comparing the various materials. Very educational. I made the right choice for me. I won't get it put in until next week. I think that it takes almost a month is a method to encourage the use of other products. That intentional slow down annoys me.

I got my new leaf sweeper yesterday and assembled it. Hubs was sitting nearby attempting to instruct me....incorrectly. See, I read the instructions, but he doesn't have to bother with that. I am impressed with the use of pressure caps to hold things together. It is an innovation that really is nice. No tools were required. But following the directions really helped.

Today, we will have turkey breast and black beans cooked in the crockpot. I have the dry beans soaking now. I buy dry beans on sale. My rule is under $1 a pound. Pinto beans are the best buy, but now and then black, red and kidney go on sale. The black beans color the meat when cooked with it. Other beans don't seem to be that bad.

Last night, heard from the charter boat captain, a son of Eggman. My military son and I will go out fishing with him next week. My son's first fishing trip in salt water. The captain said there may be tarpon. A 50 pound fighting fish could really be a great memory for my son before he deploys overseas. He and I may also do a short canoe trip. I used to canoe class 3 waters, but that was then. My son apparently has never done river canoeing. Luckily, the river is not even a class one, just a few ripples. See if that happens.

Today, I will work on decluttering a bit. That is a never ending job. And getting on the Christmas cards. Christmas comes fast this time of year. We only send out 25 most years, but it does seem to take awhile. I like to add a note to most to personalize them a bit.

Today, I am grateful for hot coffee and all my many blessings. Have a good day all.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

My Dad came through surgery well. He is having a lot of pain. The Doctor said he had to untangle several nerves from his vertebrae. DB2 s with him this morning and said they were changing his pain meds. I am very grateful.

I got home late last night and had 2 packages sitting next to my door. They were delivered to the wrong building. This morning I walked them over and placed them in front of the correct door.

Today's task is more training videos.

Have a great day,
Maggie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Another beautiful sunny chilly day. No humidity!!

Starting out slowly with my usual routine. Let the pups out. Turn on the k machine.

Take a nice sip of warm yummy coffee. Go sit outside with the pups. Nice flannel pjs on and big fluffy robe.

Then my routine is broken by a text requesting my presence at 0900 breakfast and then head out for the volunteer thing. No thanks. Will do volunteer thing but 0900 is way too early for me. They think i am nuts for thinking this. No people relax.

I had to listen to a almost crying story yesterday from a sibling about having to go to the doctor at 830 and then run all these errands. I thought bloodwork? No. Well then why go so early? Because. I was basically told to be quiet AGAIN.

I'm just trying to get them to see that they don't have to do these things they think they have to do. LIke afterwards she HAD to go to the store to get the food for CHRISTMAS - that is what over 3 weeks away?? Don't do it. Don't make the food. Its not good anyway - :mrgreen: . Hmm - maybe i should bring the not making the food thing for next year.

She made me almost lose my natural high of having done 7 loads of laundry in one hour!

Weird how little things like that make my day!!!!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

mbrudnic wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:10 am Good Morning,

My Dad came through surgery well. He is having a lot of pain. The Doctor said he had to untangle several nerves from his vertebrae. DB2 s with him this morning and said they were changing his pain meds. I am very grateful.

I got home late last night and had 2 packages sitting next to my door. They were delivered to the wrong building. This morning I walked them over and placed them in front of the correct door.

Today's task is more training videos.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Maggie, I’m glad that your dad came through the surgery well. I may have missed what type of surgery but it sounds like it may have been a back problem. Whatever it was, glad that the surgery is behind him.