Daily Check-in January 10, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ChristmasTrees

Re: Daily Check-in January 10, 2020

Post by ChristmasTrees »

chocolite wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:42 pm Hi guys, I've been AWOL awhile, but am jumping back in with both feet. I need accountability and a renewed emphasis on frugal living. I've read just a few posts -- but enough to know there is a LOT going on with you all. I hope and pray that your loved ones are safe and out of pain, and of course the same for all of you dear folks.

As for me, I retired back in mid-June - early and not as a first choice. I'd been working a reduced schedule for over a year, mainly due to my spinal issues, but it got to the point where I wasn't able to even keep to the reduced hours. So I pulled the plug. God willing, DH will keep working until he reaches full retirement age. So we are living on his income and it's a challenge. I've also stopped paying into my 401K, which makes me sad to think about, since I was the one doing the lion's share of contributing.

My sister has been ill as well and spent a majority of last year in hospital, nursing home, and shut in at home. Thankfully, she seems to have turned a corner (I'm almost afraid to say that, since I have thought the same several times over the past year). Anyway, she is able to get out now using a walker. I'm so grateful for that. Anyway, in that regard it's been a blessing that I was off work because I've been able to go be with her on several trips, and for several weeks.

We have rain coming in today and are expecting very severe weather overnight. I dread it for Audrey, since she can get really scared in storms. Bless her heart, she's so much better than when we first got her, but she still can get pretty freaked out. When there is a long period of storms I worry about her heart. She's a sweet pup, though, and is lying at my feet now. Hobbes is fat and sassy and I love him more than I can say. :-)

I play Words With Friends with Ellen Marie, and she asked that I say hello from her.

Today is a no spend day. I've been trying to do intermittent fasting, with varying success. But it does make our food last longer, lol. I've been cooking a lot and am glad to be able to do it. I usually enjoy cooking; it's the clean up I hate. Anyway, I'm making hamburgers (cheese on mine) for supper tonight, with homemade sweet potato fries. We've been craving a burger for a couple weeks now, so it's time.

Patty
Hi Patty!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

chocolite wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:42 pm Hi guys, I've been AWOL awhile, but am jumping back in with both feet. I need accountability and a renewed emphasis on frugal living. I've read just a few posts -- but enough to know there is a LOT going on with you all. I hope and pray that your loved ones are safe and out of pain, and of course the same for all of you dear folks.

As for me, I retired back in mid-June - early and not as a first choice. I'd been working a reduced schedule for over a year, mainly due to my spinal issues, but it got to the point where I wasn't able to even keep to the reduced hours. So I pulled the plug. God willing, DH will keep working until he reaches full retirement age. So we are living on his income and it's a challenge. I've also stopped paying into my 401K, which makes me sad to think about, since I was the one doing the lion's share of contributing.

My sister has been ill as well and spent a majority of last year in hospital, nursing home, and shut in at home. Thankfully, she seems to have turned a corner (I'm almost afraid to say that, since I have thought the same several times over the past year). Anyway, she is able to get out now using a walker. I'm so grateful for that. Anyway, in that regard it's been a blessing that I was off work because I've been able to go be with her on several trips, and for several weeks.

We have rain coming in today and are expecting very severe weather overnight. I dread it for Audrey, since she can get really scared in storms. Bless her heart, she's so much better than when we first got her, but she still can get pretty freaked out. When there is a long period of storms I worry about her heart. She's a sweet pup, though, and is lying at my feet now. Hobbes is fat and sassy and I love him more than I can say. :-)

I play Words With Friends with Ellen Marie, and she asked that I say hello from her.

Today is a no spend day. I've been trying to do intermittent fasting, with varying success. But it does make our food last longer, lol. I've been cooking a lot and am glad to be able to do it. I usually enjoy cooking; it's the clean up I hate. Anyway, I'm making hamburgers (cheese on mine) for supper tonight, with homemade sweet potato fries. We've been craving a burger for a couple weeks now, so it's time.

Patty
Hi Patty so good to hear you are back. I have missed hearing from you. Sorry to hear your back was such a problem and you had to quit work. I was forced in to early retirement at 53 due to medical problems. Now almost 75! It was really rough and a shock but it did help me to learn to try to prioritize things better as to what is a want and what is a need.

I too like to cook now but I am with you the cleanup is the pits..lol.

Hope Audrey makes it through the storm ok. Good to hear you still have Hobbes.

Tell Ellen Marie Hi for me. Miss hearing from her as well.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Patty
I am really happy to see that you got back on. Hope to see more posts from you.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Hi Patty!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

The sun is shining again.

I feel a lot bettter. Weird how the dreary weather did not use to bring me down so much. Must be aging?

Anyway went outside to water the grass. We have not had rain in forever. Very dry out there. We are supposed to get some maybe tonight, but doubt it. Oh well.

Just waiting around to see how the visits went today.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Hi Patty.

Penny