Daily Check In January 14, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
itspennyc

Re: Daily Check In January 14, 2020

Post by itspennyc »

I couldn’t fall asleep again after 4:45 this morning. So I am tired today.

My sweater is within 2 rows of the bottom ribbing being done. Next I pick up stitches for the neckline ribbing. Then I wash it along with the ribbons I will use for the button bands. Then I can mark the button bands and then sew in the buttonholes. Progress is slowly being made. Well esp. since I started the sweater 5 years ago.

I have gathered the trash/garbage and put it out.

I had a defective can of Coke, so I called the company and they are sending me a coupon for a 12 pack of cans.

The microwave that wasn’t delivered in time is coming today. I have already printed the codeI need to return it.

Penny

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Another gray day. Weird weather we are having. Feel like we are in washington state.

Very foggy in the morning and then just a mist after that. Not cold at all

Some kids and thier moms just walked by. All in shorts!!

I wonder why they go by at 9. School starts at 8.

Still in pjs. Getting ready to jump in the shower after i finish my second cup of coffee.

Jackie - I too feel the urge to be extra CHEAP! Nothing wrong with that as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. Will still tip when i go out to eat - :mrgreen:

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc »

by Jackielou » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:24 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Brrrr, is it cold out. I will not be leaving the house at all today and praying that by Thursday it will be warmer when I do have to leave the house for an appointment. Right now it is -30 C (-22 F) but it feels like -40 C (-40 F). Not a fit day to be out and about at all. I feel so sorry for those that have to brave the cold in order to work.

Since I will be staying put today I hope to get my list done in record time. While not as long as yesterday's it is still plenty long enough. Turning the oven on and doing a bit of baking is always a welcome past time on these frigid Canadian Prairie days, so you all know what I will be up to. I think cinnamon buns and a cake sound perfect.

This will be a no spend work on finding some new frugal habits kind of day. I don't want to get what people would call cheap (and weird) but I would really like to find another way to save on the budget. Our savings seem to be keeping up to inflation, but with the world being in such a mess right now, one never knows what is going to happen over all.

Having some smart money saving frugal moves is just a good investment. Especially as my friend and her Hubby are into their retirement too and having problems staying ahead. Mind you a great deal of that is their boys "borrowing money" (which they never seem to get paid back) and my friend extending their line of credit more and more. I do not want to get into that mess ever. If you do not have the cash to help out, don't help or at least don't go into debt to help.

I will continue to cut the old t-shirt fabric into strips. I am almost done, hopefully today, and as there is still more room in the one container, I will have decluttered one container from the room.

Using up the yarn I had pulled last year for the temperature blanket, on this years. I should be able to make a dent in what is there. I have decided if I want a hobby (or three) I need to use up all the items necessary for that hobby before I purchase new. This is going to be hard to do as when we stock up I also stock up on hobby items, and I really enjoy doing so. Yet is it frugal to be able to perhaps run a small yarn or fabric store out of your home? Not really, but it does make crafting so much easier.

Supper tonight will be a package of leftover ham from the fridge freezer. It is a bit of a toss up on whether I will make a quiche or a casserole. Which ever I make it will use up a few items in the fridge and freezer. Serving it with salad as well.

Today I am grateful that I have choices in a world where many struggle just to survive.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Remember that your crafting provides entertainment as well as the finished product.

You live several hours from a large city where you can find the craft supplies you need. Planning ahead means you have what you need to finish a project. Running to the store to get what you need to finish something means a trip to the city. Not the same as simply running to the supermarket or convenience store.

Penny

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

I had to go for bloodwork this morning so I just finished my breakfast now. I was hungry! But this a.m. when I couldn’t eat I was able to do 20 minutes of cleaning in the kitchen focused on my microwave cart (which I’ve never used for a microwave), including the floor under the cart and the baseboards behind it. Go me!

I have my laundry in the machine but will wait to start it until I get home from mom’s house. I do it this way a lot and it makes it easy to have it ready to go when I get home.

I’ll stop at Publix and maybe Dollar Tree on the way to mom’s house. I need to get a card for my friend. We are celebrating her birthday tomorrow evening at a pizza place.

At mom’s house I’ll probably work in the back yard. Because the grass doesn’t need cutting, weeds that look like flowers pop up and I need to pull them. Luckily these weeds don’t pop up in the front yard.

LittleMiss wondered how I take care of two houses. Mom’s house really does not get dirty except for the screened porch and I do periodic dusting, vacuuming and swish and swipe the bathrooms. I have zero interest in using the house as an Airbnb because it would just add to my stress and work. It would be a pain keeping up with laundering sheets and towels and just general cleaning. It is fine and can be lucrative for people in their earning years but it’s not for me at my stage of retirement.

Tonight I’ll watch the Democratic debate from Iowa. It is so frustrating seeing the disinformation campaigns that are painting Democrats as sympathetic to terrorists. You’d think no one would believe those lies but I’m always amazed at how many people embrace lies and liars. I’ve never been a big Facebook user but I’m tempted to delete my account.

Well, anyway it is a lovely day here. Yup Clem, I too am wearing shorts.

Have a good day and stay well.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

itspennyc wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:25 am
Remember that your crafting provides entertainment as well as the finished product.

You live several hours from a large city where you can find the craft supplies you need. Planning ahead means you have what you need to finish a project. Running to the store to get what you need to finish something means a trip to the city. Not the same as simply running to the supermarket or convenience store.

Penny
Jackie, I agree with Penny. You enjoy knitting, sewing etc. and can’t run to a major craft/fabric store so it is nice to have a selection on hand.

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...
A gray, cold day here, too.

DH talked to his brother last night. Seems in good spirits and may be released as soon as tomorrow.

A movie may be in the works today (haven't seen the last Star Wars yet). Otherwise, will see what I can do about straightening up the junk/sewing room. (And Jackie, it sounds like you do make an effort to use the craft items you have ... and having a 'craft pantry' can come in handy.

Dinner, not sure. I might pull the ham and navy bean soup out of the fridge and give it an hour or two on the stovetop. Used dried beans, and 4½ hours in a crock pot didn't completely soften them up (even after a pre-soak).