Daily check in January 15, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: Daily check in January 15, 2019

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by gaylejackson2 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:29 am
...I have knitted enough on my ribbed shawl/capelet that I can now decrease to create the collar-I think I want it 4-5 inches long. Then it will be time to fo the button band. Any of you knitters want to explain how I should do that?
Gayle the button bands on my sweater are knit as part of the front of my cardigan.

Button bands are usually done 3 ways,

1 knit with the front, or part of garment where the band is.

2. Sewn on after knitting the body of the sweater as you sew it together.

3. Knit with stitches picked up from the edge of the garment.

I have only done the knit with the rest of the body of sweater as the sweaters I knit are top down cardigans.

You can find information on how to do yours on line, some are articles you can download and print. Others are YouTube videos. I personally prefer the printed instructions.

Penny
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by Jackielou » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:56 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Thanks all for thinking that I could be considered frugal/thrifty with my various hobby stashes. I try to be but sometimes I do get carried away purchasing "pretties" as Hubby calls them.

It is a frosty day here on the Canadian prairies, right now it is -29 C (though one online weather app is saying -32 C) or -22 F but of course we have a slight breeze so that makes the feels like temperature -42 C or -44 F. Just a regular winters day now after some really nice weather before. Since it is not fit for man or beast outside and I did not get my baking done yesterday, I will do so today. Though it is tempting to bundle up and go to the neighbours for coffee to at least get out of the house for a bit.

Todays baking will include a cake, cinnamon buns, and perhaps some rhubarb loaves. If the oven is on I may as well make full use of it, and the chest freezer downstairs could use the addition of a couple of items.

Household task list is short and I should get through it relatively quickly. The longest chore will be making a grocery list using the flyer from my favourite store. I sure hope there are some good sale items in place.

I usually do my frugal exercise of walking in the morning. Today I am going to switch things up and do it right after lunch. Perhaps that will jump start the weight loss once again.

I just have the red knit t-shirts to cut up now. This afternoon should be the last day and it really does look like I have removed a box of stash items from storage. This will be perfect for storing something else in. I will also do a bit more organizing so that I can get my knitting machine out and set up for use. Slowly, slowly room is being made and things getting used up.

Supper this evening is going to be homemade baked beans and sausage. Hubby always enjoys a starch with his meal so I will fry up the leftover potatoes (was going to make pasta, but hey use things up first). I will make coleslaw or a tossed salad to go with.

Today I am grateful that it has been another good day for oldest DS, the hate seems to be dissipating a bit, and he seems to be up in mood. Just hope this keeps up.

Everybody have a great day.

Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/

Jackie, you do spend money on fabric which becomes clothing, yarn which become shawls etc. You used scraps of yarn to make a rug or 2,

You seem to make a lot of your gifts, thus you get the pleasure of crafting and you get gifts too.

I would say that is a win win.

Penny
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Gayle I hope your next Chemo goes well and you recover well.

Lots of {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Penny
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I was able to sleep until about 6:15 a good time to get up.

Breakfast was oatmeal with blueberries.

I have now picked up about half the stitches for the neckband of my sweater. Once I finish the sweater I need to start working on my daughter’s Birthday present.

I got an email from the post office letting me know that my new state ID should be coming today. I am also expecting the package with my new dresses. After I have washed them all of them will need shortening. At least denim is sewn on the sewing machine.

Not much is new today, which is good I have had too much excitement in the last week.

Penny
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

I have been up and trying to get everything on the list before my bank appointment this early afternoon.
It is so grey and dreary today, twinkle lights are on and while it helps a bit I really need some sunshine.
I need to force myself to eat something before I go....I get all nerved up ,even tho I have no reason to be. It's just my introverted personality.
After the appointment I will go to the store for salad stuff and then come home unless the price of gas has gone done, if so I will fill up.
My dog has been so clingy for the a couple days, I think this dreary weather is getting to him also LOL
Hope all are well, Gayle and ICFrugal stay strong.
JCKitty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Sending out a warm, germ-free hug to ICFrugal and Gayle.

Good morning, frugal ones. I was awake until nearly 4 a.m., as our carbon monoxide monitor kept chirping and shutting off, scaring the younger dogs. (The oldest, visually impaired one just sprang up ready for battle. She fears nothing.) We finally decided the detector might be dying. The night was pretty much shot by then. I feel all muzzy headed now. Adult responsibilities may take a backseat to a nap.

Jackie, don't suffer a twinge of frugal guilt over what you spend on your sewing, knitting and crafting stuff. Good heavens, girl, short of sewing your own underthings and cobbling your own shoes, you make all your own clothes and so many things for the menfolk and the house. You earn your keep and then some.
Mackie