One more thing about baked potatoes...

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
randamax

Re: One more thing about baked potatoes...

Post by randamax »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:47 pm I had this crazy idea that I might put it in the blender. Sift the small stuff out and put the rest back in the jar.
I'm sure that would work too.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:51 pm What KIND of salt? Table salt?
Yes, Sandi - I use regular kosher salt with the big flakes. It seasons the skin beautifully!
Patty
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I baked test potatoes (my kids will eat them). Olive oil, salt (which had to be fine, to stick, otherwise it bounced right off), 425, an hour.

Insides are fluffy and just right. The outsides are wildly crispy.

I was raised in a house where the primary cook was a European. Never, once, while living in Europe (besides on the air base) was I ever present a baked potato (they boil, fry, sautee - I don't even think they "mash" - Mom is French but I've lived and bunked with German and Polish kids, too, and can't remember ever having a mashed or baked potato with any of them). When Dad asked Mom to make them she oiled them, wrapped them in foil, and baked them. Everything comes out soft, which makes the skin really easy to cut & eat, and that's the way I've made them for years. DH said he likes them that way because the skin is easy to eat (neither his mom or stepmom was much of a cook, not sure what he'd seen outside of steakhouse potatoes).

I've had them in US restaurants where the skin is super tough (then I usually just eat the insides), but this crispy thing is different, and edible.

In my mid-50s and finally asking the question - is this the way most Americans prefer baked potatoes? Crispy, slightly hard to chew, skin?

I wonder if I made half of them like this and half the other way tomorrow, if all iterations would be eaten.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Make mine with a softer skin. As your DH says much easier to cut and much easier to digest.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Apparently the un-steakhouse like crispy (rather than just 'thick and dry') texture appeals to DH, who has also never had a crispy-skinned potato, and this is the new standard for baking russets here.

I'm still tempted to do at least 1/3 of them in foil tomorrow. Old habits ;)
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

No - I don't think so. My mom always made crispy baked potatoes - but that was to conserve on foil. The first time I had a soft potato skin I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I am going to try the oil and salt - but like your mom I am still going to wrap them in foil.