Cleaning Stainless Steel Sinks

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Cleaning Stainless Steel Sinks

Post by MackerelCat »

I second or third the vinegar. We have this same problem with the faucets on the pink 1952 American Standard sink in our bathroom. Because the sink is so old, I don't want to use anything harsh on the faucets and possibly damage the sink. I wrap them in vinegar-soaked paper towels and let it sit several hours, then scrub with some dish detergent and a soft old toothbrush. They sparkle like new.
Mackie
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I also use white vinegar, it works very well. SOS or other scouring pads could easily scratch the sink and and faucet.

Penny
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I use vinegar - but only leave it on a couple of minutes. Then I use a Mr. Clean Eraser to scrub it with. Then rinse like crazy because vinegar is an acid.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I use toothpaste and scrub with an old toothbrush. Most toothpaste have a mild abrasive and it just seems to work well. I have crusty stuff plus iron.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Add me to the list of those who use vinegar. I once bought the 5% household vinegar (which costs more) but I really couldn’t see a diffence so I’m back to regular vinegar. I’d be lost without vinegar because I use it for so many things including cleaning Pippi’s water bowls.

I’m going to look at the LemiShine that Jodi mentioned. I know I’ve seen it in Publix. I also have very hard water.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

itspennyc wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:03 pm I also use white vinegar, it works very well. SOS or other scouring pads could easily scratch the sink and and faucet.

Penny
It doesn't scratch the sink or faucet at all. I have used them for the 45 years we have been married, and my Mom used them before me. Never have the sinks or faucets been scratched. The SOS pads are made from a very fine wire not like those gold large wire scrubby things.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/