Daily Check-In January 18, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily Check-In January 18, 2020

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. We had rough weather yesterday but it was not as bad as I had anticipated. We did have sleet and ice then cold rain. Today just cold rain. Yesterday I had a lovely fire in the fireplace and baked cookies. It was very nice being all cozy in the house.

I lost my computer satellite about 8:30 PM. I assumed it was due to the wind and rain however this morning had a security alert that someone in Virginia had hacked my computer.. How do they do things like that? Anyway spent time getting that cleared up and my account secured again.

This morning I had a nice talk with Katie Owl in Wales. When it is the wee morning hours here she is already in to her day.

Not much planned here due to the rain. I think today I am going to make another pot of hot and sour soup. I have one potato that needs to be used and I am going to make Thai yellow curry served over riced cauliflower from the freezer. Cookies for dessert if they last that long..lol. I will have some of the leftover chili for lunch.

For all of those in need I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Have a good day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check-In January 18, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning Janet and all,

This is last full day of picture perfect Florida weather before a cold front blows in late on Sunday. It is a good "do something" day. For me and my "100" trees, it is leaf raking time. Using my manual leaf sweeper, I have collected the equivalent of about 20-30 bags of leaves. They have gone to my gardens instead of the land fill. Today, I just have the rest of the house perimeter and the ditches to do. Then on to pulling weeds. Of course, I will have to do this at least 2 more times this season. But the yard looks tidy and that is pleasing. I estimate that I walk 2-3 miles pushing the leaf sweeper around the yard. Good exercise. But the knees asked for an ultrasound treatment before bed last night.

I hung out the laundry yesterday and left it out overnight. It will be slightly damp from the dew and that seems to really make it soft after a quick tumble in the dryer. I could have brought it in last evening, but hubs, who folds the laundry, said do it in the morning. Ok.

The house temperature is stable at 76F and requires no heat or ac to maintain.

I am still unpacking. I use the daylight hours to do yard work and after cooking in the evening, I am too tired to do much else, but I put a few things away every day. Slowly forward.

I am not feeling very innovative regarding cooking right now. Since getting home, it has been ground beef burgers, then ground beef stir fry and then ground beef Mexican. A turkey is thawing in the refrigerator, but it won't be ready for a few days.

Today I am grateful for the lovely Florida weather. Have a nice day all.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

It is a beautiful sunny day here.

This morning I have genealogy club. It has been several months since I attended a meeting. Today’s topic is focused on basic genealogy (to appeal to new members I’m sure) but it will be a good refresher for me. There are two good workshops this week - military research and using FindMyPast for UK research. I’m not sure I’ll get to them but maybe. Our genealogy library just obtained a sub to FindMyPast. I bought a short-term sub to that database before my trip to England and found it really good. It let me finally figure out what had happened to the father and mother of the great-great grandfather who was married in the church I visited.

I’ll go to Aldi on my way home from the meeting. I’ve probably mentioned this before but Aldi is so crowded since the remodeling.

Yesterday mom’s neighbor and I never had our tea. Her mom, age 90+, has been having so much back pain and she lives alone. So I worked in the back yard for an hour or so and in the front yard trimmed the schefflera (standing on the ground) before it gets too tall yet again.

Have a good day and hope those in the path of the storm stay safe and don’t lose power.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It has become cold and windy once again, I am getting a bit tired of this kind of weather. Should not complain though as we could be getting the storms that Newfoundland and Labrador are receiving. No thanks, 100 cm of snow is a bit too much to drop all at one time.

So what will yours truly be up to today? Pretty much the usual and trying to stay warm at the same time. I feel a bit queasy this morning and I do hope that disappears quickly.

Bread making this morning, perhaps a trip to drop off the donations that are residing in my hallway, sending in my scan report, and doing some work in the sewing/craft room during the afternoon. I think I will leave setting up the knitting machine until I get some projects completed.That will be pretty much my dayI. I plan on working on my prayer shawl as well but mostly in the evening.

I may work a bit on my blog. I have found a few more bloggers that interest me so I need to add them to my sidebar so I check them out each day. Seems I really like UK and Australian bloggers. There really are not that many from Canada that interest me...I will however keep searching.

Frugally speaking this will be a no spend day, I will do my walking exercise, and of course sending in my grocery/shopping scan for points towards gift cards or just gifts. Really my days just seem to flow into each other endlessly right now. I think we may need a short little trip somewhere. I really would like to go and spend some time with oldest DS just to make sure he is okay, but travel at this time of year could be a bit hazardous.

Supper this evening is going to be what I hope is the last bag of frozen turkey from the fridge freezer. I will probably make Turkey a la King and serve it either over toast or biscuits.

Today I am grateful for the invention of the phone. It has been a lifesaver over the past couple of weeks.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Did not sleep well. Guess that is what i get for sleeping so good the night before. These pups would just not settle down. I've been sleeping with one window open and they just hear something and off they go.

The weather has been nice and the fresh breeze is comfortable. But today we are expecting a cold front and we will plunge down to the 40s! Yeah that is cold for us.

Has been a warm winter.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning everyone,

I laid in bed for a short time listening to the rain. I decided to put off going to the grocery. Except I need to take a dish - appetizer or dessert, to the party I am going to tonight. A support group friend always has a "I am sad Christmas is over" party. I could always stop by my favorite Gourmet grocery store and pick up something.

My blood sugar reading was better this AM. Not where I want it to be, but lower than the last week or so since I have been checking. I ended up having a protein shake in place of dinner.

I am out of eggs ad the grocery store ground peanut butter - my first choices for breakfast. I do better with a high protein breakfast. But I did have a package of bacon in the fridge. So I fixed it up (in the oven). Whoa, delicious, but not used to that much fat/grease.

Have a great day,
Maggie