Daily Check-In January 18, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ChristmasTrees

Re: Daily Check-In January 18, 2020

Post by ChristmasTrees »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:38 pm
I am too. Things are not that great in Wales but she and her family are working through things. I have made a lot of friends through her in Wales. We talk daily. Even her Mum friended me.. Some year I would love to go meet all of them in person. My grandfather came from Wales. I have been there twice but at the time did not know Kate then. It would be so lovely to go to Wales and the UK to meet Rinty too. A person can dream and hopefully they will come true.
Oh I so hope you make that trip!!!

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Snow is really coming down hard here. We really need it. Our ski areas have been hurting.
Spent the morning with DH cutting up firewood. We had to have a few wind damaged trees removed, so VERY expensive firewood!
Came in when the snow started.
Baking oatmeal cookies while I start dinner.
Have a good rest of the day!

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

ChristmasTrees wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:35 pm
That is such good news about your SIL!
Thanks, Trees ... I think DH is feeling a lot better now, too.

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:42 pm
Wolf that is great news about your DSIL. Also seems your DBIL is on the mend too. Hopefully things will continue well for both of them.
Thanks, Janet ... we hope so, too. (and I remember Katie Owl from her days on the forum ... it's great that you two keep up.)

Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon everyone,

A very snowy and mild temperature day here today. We have had over a foot of snow and it's still coming down! I have stayed put at home today. I cleaned the upstairs ensuite and two piece bathroom on the main floor this morning. They both really needed it! I put some liquid plumber down the ensuite sink as it was starting to get a bit clogged. All four loads of laundry today have been conquered and put away. Just waiting for the last load which is in the dryer.

Dh shoveled off the back deck, sidewalk between the houses and the area around his car. He plans on firing up the snow blower once the snow slows down a bit. This afternoon I decided to "christen" my snowshoes for the first time this winter and carved a trail in our back yard. The first time around I sunk almost to my waist even with the snowshoes on! It was quite a work out. Then I decided to go around the large loop on the sidewalk which is 1..7 km. around. It was certainly easier than around our back yard and I had my ski poles for added stability. It would have been almost impossible to just walk around in boots. Anyone walking their dogs were on the roads using the tire tracks to walk. I worked up a good sweat and felt much better mentally by getting outside for a bit. The temperature was mild, just a few degrees C below freezing (in the 20's F) but visibility is quite poor as the wind was blowing the snow around - lots of drifting. I certainly didn't see many cars around. Most people are being sensible and staying home. I enjoyed a hot vanilla coffee drink when I came back. No other plans for today besides reading, wasting time on the computer, and making supper/clean up afterwards.

I had known about the predicted snow yesterday and had made a trip to the library to stock up on reading material, a few necessary groceries such as milk and eggs. I also decided to buy a Starbucks drink using a Christmas gift card yesterday and taking it to enjoy while browsing for books in the library. Low and behold the lid wasn't on properly and when I took it out of the cup dispenser it spilled all over my car seat and the cup dispenser. I was really annoyed as this is my new car, only about 7 months old .I rarely carry a drink in my car and this was the first spill. But I made a quick trip to No Frills, picked up a package of paper towels, which were actually on sale and cleaned up the mess almost immediately. I then went to a public washroom and was able to wet the paper towel to clean everything up even better. Fortunately the seat isn't stained and you can't even tell there was a spill. I was relieved. But still annoyed as what was to have been a relaxing trip to the library didn't end up being so. Not to mention that over half of that expensive drink was wasted. I had to keep reminding myself that this is a first world problem.

Dinner tonight will be easy as it's mainly leftovers. I made a huge pot of potato leek soup yesterday, there's leftover sweet and sour spareribs for dh and dd, a small amount of leftover brown rice which I'll supplement with a "Seeds of Change" package from the pantry that needs to be used up. And I think I will make butter sauteed fennel for our vegetable along with oven roasted cremini mushrooms.

Have a wonderful evening everyone and try to keep in good spirits. It's been a bit of a strain for me to remain positive with dh feeling so down but I'm doing my best. I will be going snowshoeing with the 55 Plus Centre this coming Monday and think I will go cross country skiing at the same facility before the snowshoeing. I am looking forward to that and have tried to schedule things in advance to look forward to or just have tasks I hope to accomplish. I have a punch pass the oldest dd got me for Christmas so then there will be no cost for either activity. With all this recent snow and more expected tomorrow, the conditions should be fantastic!

Creative

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Mrscreative wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:35 pm
Good afternoon everyone,

A very snowy and mild temperature day here today. We have had over a foot of snow and it's still coming down! I have stayed put at home today. I cleaned the upstairs ensuite and two piece bathroom on the main floor this morning. They both really needed it! I put some liquid plumber down the ensuite sink as it was starting to get a bit clogged. All four loads of laundry today have been conquered and put away. Just waiting for the last load which is in the dryer.

Dh shoveled off the back deck, sidewalk between the houses and the area around his car. He plans on firing up the snow blower once the snow slows down a bit. This afternoon I decided to "christen" my snowshoes for the first time this winter and carved a trail in our back yard. The first time around I sunk almost to my waist even with the snowshoes on! It was quite a work out. Then I decided to go around the large loop on the sidewalk which is 1..7 km. around. It was certainly easier than around our back yard and I had my ski poles for added stability. It would have been almost impossible to just walk around in boots. Anyone walking their dogs were on the roads using the tire tracks to walk. I worked up a good sweat and felt much better mentally by getting outside for a bit. The temperature was mild, just a few degrees C below freezing (in the 20's F) but visibility is quite poor as the wind was blowing the snow around - lots of drifting. I certainly didn't see many cars around. Most people are being sensible and staying home. I enjoyed a hot vanilla coffee drink when I came back. No other plans for today besides reading, wasting time on the computer, and making supper/clean up afterwards.

I had known about the predicted snow yesterday and had made a trip to the library to stock up on reading material, a few necessary groceries such as milk and eggs. I also decided to buy a Starbucks drink using a Christmas gift card yesterday and taking it to enjoy while browsing for books in the library. Low and behold the lid wasn't on properly and when I took it out of the cup dispenser it spilled all over my car seat and the cup dispenser. I was really annoyed as this is my new car, only about 7 months old .I rarely carry a drink in my car and this was the first spill. But I made a quick trip to No Frills, picked up a package of paper towels, which were actually on sale and cleaned up the mess almost immediately. I then went to a public washroom and was able to wet the paper towel to clean everything up even better. Fortunately the seat isn't stained and you can't even tell there was a spill. I was relieved. But still annoyed as what was to have been a relaxing trip to the library didn't end up being so. Not to mention that over half of that expensive drink was wasted. I had to keep reminding myself that this is a first world problem.

Dinner tonight will be easy as it's mainly leftovers. I made a huge pot of potato leek soup yesterday, there's leftover sweet and sour spareribs for dh and dd, a small amount of leftover brown rice which I'll supplement with a "Seeds of Change" package from the pantry that needs to be used up. And I think I will make butter sauteed fennel for our vegetable along with oven roasted cremini mushrooms.

Have a wonderful evening everyone and try to keep in good spirits. It's been a bit of a strain for me to remain positive with dh feeling so down but I'm doing my best. I will be going snowshoeing with the 55 Plus Centre this coming Monday and think I will go cross country skiing at the same facility before the snowshoeing. I am looking forward to that and have tried to schedule things in advance to look forward to or just have tasks I hope to accomplish. I have a punch pass the oldest dd got me for Christmas so then there will be no cost for either activity. With all this recent snow and more expected tomorrow, the conditions should be fantastic!

Creative
Creative bummer on the Starbucks coffee incident. Glad you were able to clean things up so well.

I would love your snow but I am an inside looking kind of snow lover..lol. You really are in the right place for all of your winter activities.

Sorry your DH is still on a downer and does not want to do anything to make a change. My husband was the same way.

I try to stay upbeat and happy since otherwise I would be miserable all the time if I thought of what all is going on and what is ahead of me. It just makes things worse.
Janet Alliesmama