How age affects your frugality.....

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: How age affects your frugality.....

Post by HappyDaze »

Reading Penny's post made me think of something else - I pay for trash pickup now - and I pay A LOT for it - at least I think so - it is $30 a month which is OUTRAGEOUS in my opinion - I only have one bag of trash most months and they only pick up recycling once per month.

I guess I am feeling my age and justify this because it's easier than the treck to the landfill with a car full of smelly garbage. I hate the drive, I hate everything about it - so I pay this outrageous price. UGH.

I am seriously considering asking a neighbor who also has very little trash to split the cost - I guess I'm just afraid to.

ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

At 79,and 80 we pay for a lot of things we wouldn’t have dreamed of even 5 yrs ago. We pay son in law 250 month all yr and he keeps the grass cut and many other things. Dh has been diagnosed with vascular dementia so does not drive anymore so he is his chauffeur as well as doing the shopping for us. Dh always did all repairs and now pay for them to be done.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree with you ownedbydogs. It is grit the teeth hard to pay for things I could have done just a few years ago.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

HappyDaze wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:09 pm
Reading Penny's post made me think of something else - I pay for trash pickup now - and I pay A LOT for it - at least I think so - it is $30 a month which is OUTRAGEOUS in my opinion - I only have one bag of trash most months and they only pick up recycling once per month.

I guess I am feeling my age and justify this because it's easier than the treck to the landfill with a car full of smelly garbage. I hate the drive, I hate everything about it - so I pay this outrageous price. UGH.

I am seriously considering asking a neighbor who also has very little trash to split the cost - I guess I'm just afraid to.
That is a lot to pay for one bag of trash a MONTH??!!

I would keep trekking it to the landfill. If it is only one bag a month - how much can it smell?

We pay that much and have two big rolling cans full each week! I would say ten bags easily - maybe more.

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

HappyDaze wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:09 pm

Ask your neighbor about sharing the cost. It will save you each $180 per year. That's nothing to sneeze at!
ohjodi

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

ohjodi wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:57 am
Ask your neighbor about sharing the cost. It will save you each $180 per year. That's nothing to sneeze at!
I wish we could share the cost of our garbage and recycling pick up. We pay no matter what. Only time it would not be paid would be if the utilities were shut off.